drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » newbie needs help
Go to the bottom of this page newbie needs help
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

alright people,
ive not long been producing, about a year on and off, im running cubase sx and reason, and im finding i need a bit of guidence with my tracks.
ive got a few breaks going, sort of rocky 2 step, and have a bass line and a couple of pads and these few loops sound greatish, but im sitting at the computer for two hours with these looping over and over and im going mad.
now i appriciate you cant give me a d and b music theory class, but any tips on how i can push forward with the track. also should i be chopping up breaks in cubase or importing them as slices.
any tips on adding effects to different hits would be great too, i take it i clone the loop and add effects to that if you know what i mean.
is there any sites for production tips i can look at.
sorry for been so basic, its pretty frustrating, ive got alot of ideas in my head but making thems proving to be hard.
i used to play d and b a good few years back about 94, played a few clubs when i could, but drifted more into house, then sold all my stuff had a few years off, and then a while back was listening to a goldie set and pow, i was born again lol.
so here i am , im wanting to get very involved again, and as i progress id be more than happy to share my tracks with yourselves on the forum, any help or advice would be great.
thanks
jem Big Grin ps shortly after writing this ive just seen the production help thread above doh, ill start there then lol

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jemone: 02-02-2006 23:46.

02-02-2006 23:43
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

oh man...umm...im kinda clueless when it ocmes to cubase and reason (the only thing i can do in reason is synthesize and then render that sample out for my own use)

I use FL...soo...

there are a few users on here that could help ya out a bit...

also a bunch ofother threds with similar topics...browse around...

id give my 2 cents...but i can only help so much since i use fl.. :[

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

03-02-2006 00:21
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

i dunno, i use cubase. from what you say it sounds like you just want to extend an idea into a whole track. all i can say for that is follow the standard, bring on one thing then another, at about 3:00 have a breakdown, then a drop bring in some new shit etc. then take shit out until the track end. the way i do breaks is chop em up to the bits i want save them and put them into various vst sections of baterry or RMIV and make my beat out of that on the GM drum map, which i thin is a good wayof making your own orignal beats. use congos and shit. the effects that you get with cubase itself are usuually pretty shite, so use vst plugins. anyway man its hard to tellwhat you want but i think theres a lot oout there on this site and elsewhere just google shit usualy works
03-02-2006 01:17
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by jemone
should i be chopping up breaks in cubase or importing them as slices.
Yeah chop em up in Cu base,...you can use recycle and import,..but youll get the same if not better result's in cubase....cheers...

__
Space
03-02-2006 01:56
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
alright people,
ive not long been producing, about a year on and off, im running cubase sx and reason, and im finding i need a bit of guidence with my tracks.
ive got a few breaks going, sort of rocky 2 step, and have a bass line and a couple of pads and these few loops sound greatish, but im sitting at the computer for two hours with these looping over and over and im going mad.
now i appriciate you cant give me a d and b music theory class, but any tips on how i can push forward with the track. also should i be chopping up breaks in cubase or importing them as slices.
any tips on adding effects to different hits would be great too, i take it i clone the loop and add effects to that if you know what i mean.
sorry for been so basic, its pretty frustrating, ive got alot of ideas in my head but making thems proving to be hard.
i used to play d and b a good few years back about 94, played a few clubs when i could, but drifted more into house, then sold all my stuff had a few years off, and then a while back was listening to a goldie set and pow, i was born again lol.
so here i am , im wanting to get very involved again, and as i progress id be more than happy to share my tracks with yourselves on the forum, any help or advice would be great.
thanks
jem Big Grin ps shortly after writing this ive just seen the production help thread above doh, ill start there then lol

don't loop them non-stop it fucks up your brain, it amkes you go mad. every half hour, take a 10 minute break.

it's not like writing a story, or painting a picture, you cannot just sit there and loop it over and over, because your not just preciving thoughts, or pictures, but duration. you won't be able to see the forest for the trees. it's like just zooming in on a small poriton of the painting, or one sentatnce of a novel.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 03-02-2006 06:49.

03-02-2006 06:47 Homepage of Halph-Price
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
alright people,
thanks

don't loop them non-stop it fucks up your brain, it amkes you go mad. every half hour, take a 10 minute break.

it's not like writing a story, or painting a picture, you cannot just sit there and loop it over and over, because your not just preciving thoughts, or pictures, but duration. you won't be able to see the forest for the trees. it's like just zooming in on a small poriton of the painting, or one sentatnce of a novel.

Damn thats some good advice Bigup

your perception of sounds def change if played constantly that goes for everything ,elements of the track, eq, etc....

__
My Sounds
03-02-2006 08:47
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

you certainly get saturated with the sound and the more time passes, less objective your perception is gonna be.

do what I do, if youre on the move, wear an ipod, mp3 player, whatever. so you can listen to it when youre not affected by emotions and outer influences, thats when youre most objective

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-02-2006 09:06 Homepage of cynik
jemone jemone is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

cheers
its refreashing to come to a board and meet genuine helpfull people, thanks, ill take all advice on board and see if i can push things forward,the post about running my loops around and around made me laugh so much, your proper right, i come off the computer well spinning out, and even start dreaming the riffs, hi hi,
anyway thanks again, and watch this space for a jemone tune coming to you soon.
peace
Big Grin
03-02-2006 09:06
Daz Daz is a male

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

I think broadside hit the nail on the head jemone. Try to expand the track. Take all the elements that you are looping and start to make a track. You will find that as you are creating an intro, drop, etc that you will be adding sounds as you go and making decisions on what really sounds good and what doesnt. You will find that you end up with a finished product that sounds completely different to the loop you started with! Its much more fun, if a little time consuming, doing it this way. you will also find that you will be experimenting much more this way too. Smile
24-02-2006 10:39
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I thought I was the only one working on a tune several hours in a row and hearing it next day would make me throw up.

I like to work on several tunes simultaniously so when you get overloaded on one tune you can switch to another one.

After an FL session of several hours I feel completely empty and I get moody from it. It's not satisfying at all, but it's something I HAVE to do. If I just want to check my mail or something I have to stay away from FL because if I load it I lose all track of time Knownothing

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
24-02-2006 12:47 Homepage of BattleDrone
J. Wells J. Wells is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 10-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

One of my favourite tricks when I'm stuck on a track is to re-sample the heck out of it, then re-arrange it almost at random. It might lead to an amazing turn in composition, or just some new ideas. And by 're-sample,' I mean make a new bank in your soft sampler/plugin [or, if you have one, a real sampler-- I use the Electribe sampler by Korg] of just your favourite bits of the song. It could be chord progressions, leads, peices of basslines, drums and breaks, whatever, just as long as the samples are at least 1 full bar long. Then, fuck with it. A lot. Try re-arranging things into new compositions, mix and match parts that were originally seperate, start things on different bars, start a loop on the off-step, et cetera. See what happens. [Can you tell I'm reeeeally into breaks?]

And yeah, frequent breaks are a godsend. If you get stuck, leave it for the night, smoke a blunt and do some thinking instead. Spliff

__
I only post here when I'm drunk.
25-02-2006 03:41
tired

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by J. Wells
One of my favourite tricks when I'm stuck on a track is to re-sample the heck out of it, then re-arrange it almost at random. It might lead to an amazing turn in composition, or just some new ideas. And by 're-sample,' I mean make a new bank in your soft sampler/plugin [or, if you have one, a real sampler-- I use the Electribe sampler by Korg] of just your favourite bits of the song. It could be chord progressions, leads, peices of basslines, drums and breaks, whatever, just as long as the samples are at least 1 full bar long. Then, fuck with it. A lot. Try re-arranging things into new compositions, mix and match parts that were originally seperate, start things on different bars, start a loop on the off-step, et cetera. See what happens. [Can you tell I'm reeeeally into breaks?]

And yeah, frequent breaks are a godsend. If you get stuck, leave it for the night, smoke a blunt and do some thinking instead. Spliff
yeah good point,..it's amazing what you can do with re-sampln one of your track's!....ideas start popin out of nowhere as soon as you start fuckin with it....cheers!.. Drummer

__
Space
25-02-2006 12:57
tired

Helpfulness rating: 

oh and the part about smokin the blunt is spot on too...cheers.. Drummer

__
Space
25-02-2006 12:58
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

you need to be working on a vibe.
if your have trouble extending a track, chance is that its not really doing it for you or you've run out of creativity at that point in time.

if its the later, its no good just sitting there looping it over you'll just get frustrated Burning ......i know i've been there

what i like to do is take a break from that track. do something else (maybe not producing, havin a mix is good) i'll have the track rollin along in the back of my mind and sometimes an idea for the track just comes to me. then i go back to it with a load of fresh ideas and angles.

but then sometimes nothing comes to me. and if that happens i have to ask myself if the tracks actually that good and if it really can go anywhere.

any ways thats my input. hope it helps Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

25-02-2006 13:00 Homepage of D2o
tired

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
- I use the Electribe sampler by Korg] Spliff
yeah i rented that bugger once,..the sound quality is unreal,..wish i bought it,..but at the time i had no idea how to use a sampler,...would love to own a nice hard sampler....it fuckin amazing how powerfull sampler's have become,...and user friendly,..im gonna get Natives-->{Kontakt} tatto'd on my back,..fo real!,...... Devil

__
Space
25-02-2006 13:31
J. Wells J. Wells is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 10-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

quote:
Originally posted by equipped
quote:
- I use the Electribe sampler by Korg] Spliff
yeah i rented that bugger once,..the sound quality is unreal,..wish i bought it,..but at the time i had no idea how to use a sampler,...would love to own a nice hard sampler....it fuckin amazing how powerfull sampler's have become,...and user friendly,..im gonna get Natives-->{Kontakt} tatto'd on my back,..fo real!,...... Devil

Heeeells yeah. Hardware is, by far, the most interactive way of making electronic music that I've found so far. Just grab a knob and twist! Plus, you can use them on stage, looking all l33t turning knobs all dramatic-like. Software can yield good results if you know 100% what you want to do beforehand, I've found, but hardware is highly interactive/improvisational and gets you teh p00ntang! Big Grin

And that's what DnB is all about. Teh p00ntang. And that, Jemone, is what you should think about when you're stuck. Tongue

__
I only post here when I'm drunk.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by J. Wells: 25-02-2006 17:26.

25-02-2006 17:22
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » newbie needs help