drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Can I Use Samples of Historical Speeches?
Go to the bottom of this page Can I Use Samples of Historical Speeches?
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

okay i got some great historical speeches including winston churchill and martin luther king

as these arent film samples and are in i think the public domain,

can i use them in my dnb tracks and more to the point can i upload em to this site??

looking for a speedy reply as i want to base a tune around them today....

many thanks in advance peeps

Glim Bigup

__
My Sounds
24-01-2006 14:46
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Possibly, but it depends who owns the footage. If its from a radio show of TV broadcast then probably not since they slap some form of copyright on it. But Im really not sure. A lot of it is probably owned by museums like Imperial War musem, and in that case you might able to use them. I say go for it. People have done a lot worse and no-ones battered an eyelid. Ive heard tracks with film samples all over this site.
24-01-2006 14:58
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

sure you can. I don't see how someone could possiby copywright a speech Confused

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 24-01-2006 14:59.

24-01-2006 14:58 Homepage of cynik
syneptic syneptic is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2272.jpg

Registration Date: 11-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.60

i have a dream.......... Bigup

__
www.myspace.com/djsyneptic
24-01-2006 20:34 Homepage of syneptic
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by syneptic
i have a dream.......... Bigup

yeah gots that one, gonna chop it up in a breakdown Big Grin

__
My Sounds
26-01-2006 01:39
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
sure you can. I don't see how someone could possiby copywright a speech Confused

The copyright isnt on the speech, but the footage its taken from. Everything that goes out on the news is copyright, so any sample of a speech on the news is also copyright, I think thats how it works.
26-01-2006 12:42
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
quote:
Originally posted by cynik

The copyright isnt on the speech, but the footage its taken from. Everything that goes out on the news is copyright, so any sample of a speech on the news is also copyright, I think thats how it works.

hmm makes some sense. but I think that those copyrights (by tv/radio stations which made the original footage) are mainly aimed at other news tv/radio stations in order to preserve fresh news etc.

using some 60 years old footage in your track wouldn't harm those copyrights IMO. or it would but the owners wouldn't be bothered.

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
26-01-2006 12:57 Homepage of cynik
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

i dunno about luther king, but i did some tunes with churchill "finest hour" etc. on it, i asked at the time and people said it was fine. and im sure "i have a dream" is copyright free . . . the amount of times you hear that sample . . . i would never use it, cheesiest thing.
26-01-2006 13:07
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

No you can't use it unless you get permission from the current owners of the recording.

It doesn't matter if it is a music loop, a sampled instrument, a sound effect, a film fragment, speech by a famous person, speech by an unknown person, the wind blowing through the trees or a fart in a bottle.
If you haven't recorded it yourself you cannot possibly own the copyright and you'll definitely need written permission before you can publish it.

You can upload it to another site though and place a link here.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-01-2006 15:40 Homepage of thechronic
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
No you can't use it unless you get permission from the current owners of the recording.

It doesn't matter if it is a music loop, a sampled instrument, a sound effect, a film fragment, speech by a famous person, speech by an unknown person, the wind blowing through the trees or a fart in a bottle.
If you haven't recorded it yourself you cannot possibly own the copyright and you'll definitely need written permission before you can publish it.

You can upload it to another site though and place a link here.

Yup. Otherwise I could just use HITLERS SPEECH.
Which I don't use Roll Eyes
Not even for hardcore Roll Eyes
Nop not really no. Roll Eyes

__

26-01-2006 19:09 Homepage of Rude
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

DJ Adolf does.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

29-01-2006 00:23 Homepage of Halph-Price
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

ah, so anyways, even if the material is not copyrighted, like classical music, that's only ONE of the many many copyrights.
there's also the Master Copyright, by the 'Maker' of the recording.
for music this is usually the producer or label. usually the producer giving to the labels is stated int he contract.
They mechanical royalties for each physical reproduction of the material, and is seprate from the Artist's royalties of the song.

most indies are learning to keep the master's but a lot of have been burned, and lost money becaus eof this. you'll make more money if you own both the mechanical and songwighter copyright. yea.

this is why sampling a classical music peice, even though hte song is public domain, is still illegal, because someone recorded the material, and it is there's by law. also arrangment is copyrighted......

but anyways. Bigup

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

29-01-2006 07:05 Homepage of Halph-Price
Daz Daz is a male

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

Glim can i just ask, and dont take this the wrong way mate, is the track youre making, and anyones music that is made by people on this forum, really gonna be a top 40 hit? The music we make is underground, unless youre lucky enuff to be pendulum. Maybe i am out of order saying this cos i havent heard your music, but i have been makin tunes for years and have been there since the start of the whole scene,but im under no illusion that ill ever make it as a producer. If it happens then im a lucky man! what im getting at is if you wanna have some fun; and fair play if you get a run of a few dub plates on vinyl to play at your local club then wicked! but i really dont think that your gonna have much trouble with copyright. Hell remember back in the old days when every tune would have a bite out of a movie soundtrack?!? This is our music and fuck it lets do what the hell we like with it and if you do get a contract then start worrying then bud! Evil
24-02-2006 10:57
J. Wells J. Wells is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 10-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

To this whole discussion, I say what I always say: just make your own. It's easier, less of a headache, sounds more l33t, and so on. If you want nifty spoken word samples, I suggest this: go to a poetry read/slam, make friends with the doomiest kid in the room, put a mic in front of him while he's drunk and hit 'record.' It works every time.

As for copyright issues, the whole thing's so convoluted I've just stopped taking chances. Sure, you can sample other people's stuff all you want, and you can even bend your brain into interesting shapes trying to figure out what is copyrighted and what is public doman, who owns what and for how long, etc. But that's a damn waste of time for two reasons.

As mentioned previously, there's an astronomically low chance of anyone giving a shit. Unless you're going to try to get your tune released or played over broadcast, etc, copyright really doesn't matter.

Plus, you're producing DnB. If you're doing it right, then you're slowly morphing into some kind of subversive subcultural figure anyhow, so.... law shouldn't matter to you to begin with! Devil

__
I only post here when I'm drunk.
25-02-2006 17:48
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Can I Use Samples of Historical Speeches?