drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Sooo many questions....
Go to the bottom of this page Sooo many questions....
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1730.gif

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I have ALOT of questions concerning DnB production, as I'm new to the artform. I've been producing for around 3 months now and use the sample based approach. To save space and nerves i guess i'll just ask two questions here:

1- I use FL Studios 5, and was told by someone with FSR that i needed to "quantize" the drumz in my intro..... exactly what does "quantize" mean, and how do i achieve this with FL?

2- Secondly, im trying to get my 'ghost snares' right and atm im using sampled 'roffles' or whatever.... for ghost snares should i be using the same sample as my main snare? (and then change velocity and pitch slightly?) or......?

i have many, many more questions. i dont want someone to walk me thru my own producing, its just that i only know what sounds good to me.... i know nothing about EQ'ing, envelopes, band pass, low end, and all the other technical jargon i hear all the time. Just need a little help gettin started, and cant wait to post one of my tunes so u guys can rip it to shreads.. Wink

__

MuZIK
15-01-2006 02:13 Homepage of BeatJunkie
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

For the ghosts: Rolly Polly Drums???

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-01-2006 11:25 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Quantize?

Well, quantize is used, for example, when you record some notes from your MIDI keyboard in some Piano Roll and then you quantize them to loose their natural swing that you, as a human being, leave.

Because our human timing and reaction is not perfect, the notes are not perfect also, so that you need quantize to get those in line.

When in Piano Roll Alt+Q or Ctrl+Q (some of these was a Quick Quantize, beware)...

but I still don't know why you need to quantize your intro drums Confused

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
15-01-2006 12:08 Homepage of Muad'Dib
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
but I still don't know why you need to quantize your intro drums Confused

maybe they were horribly off-beat? in other words, too "un-quantized"

for the technical terms:

glossary of terms

as posted by Arkitekt originally so ups fo him.. Bigup

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
15-01-2006 12:25 Homepage of cynik
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yeah, but if they are horribly off beat then the quantize option will bring more troubles! By sorting the drums to the lines it will bring to wrong lines (being the drums more closely placed to the wrong line than to the right one).

I suggest you to use Fruity Slicer

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
15-01-2006 15:03 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Yeah, quantizing is a weird one. Its basically your sequencer assuming that you were trying to put a hit on a certain beat but because of you tiny human brain you didnt get it exact. It can be good if your timing is pretty tight you should have any problems, but if it isnt, then you could end up with a completely different beat than the one you intended. You could give it a try, but I reacon youre best bet is to do it yourself. Once youve played in the midi data-I assume thats what youre doing- send the info to a piano roll editor and move the hits untill they hit the marks bang on, or slightly off if your trying to maintain a "Human" feel.

As for ghost snares, it really depends on the type of thing your trying to acheive. If your trying to get a human sounding drumbeat, your probably best off using a differewnt sample of the same drum being played softer. You can try altering the velocity and filter cutoff but you'll never quite get the same sound as you would if you were physically hitting the drum differently. But if its a techy beat your after, then changing the velocity is fine since the rest of the beat wont have a realistic sound to it anyway. I find the easiest way to get a "rreal" sounding beat is to play the beat myself on a table top or something, and try to analyse the way I'm playing it, which hits am I playing softer, which ones am I pulling tyhe timing on etc. Try to imagine how a proper drummer would play that beat.

Eq-ing. Eqing is fairly simple to understand, but very difficult to master. The basic concept is that every sound has a particular frequency that is strongest. A piano for example is quite a mid range instrument. However it does also produce smaler quantities of high and low frequencies. The basic principal of EQing is to nremove these unwanted frequencies so that another instrument that is more dominat in the frequency doesnt get muddied up, IE. Taking the low frequencies out of a pad sound so that the bass part is still clear and they dont interfere with each other.

Envelopes. Envelopes are a way of controlling different paramenters on synths or samplers etc. A basic envelope with have 4 controls labeled ADSR, or Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release. If you were using an envelope on a volume control, the attack would be the time between you pressing the key and the sound getting to its full volume, ie no attack and the sound comes in staright away, a long attack and the sound fades in.
Decay is how quickly the sound quietens after the attack stage. ie a short decay gets quieter very quickly like plucking a guitar string, while a longer decay sounds like it gradualy fades out.
Sustain is what volume the sound settles at after the decay stage, how much the sound fades out to.
Release is what happens after you take your finger of the key, how long it takes for the sound to fade out completely. ie, a short release means that the sound ends as soon as you take your finger off, a long release means that the sound will gradually die away.
The envelope only works when your holding the key down. If you hold it down you'll go from the attack through to the sustain and you'll stay there untill you take your finger off and you'll go into the release stage, if you just tap the key you'll go straight to the rlease stage.

A band pass is a type of filter. The 3 main filter types are Highpass, Band pass, and Lowpass. A high pass filter takes out frequencies below a certain point called the cutoff, everything else is allowed to pass through. The higher you turn the cutoff, more frequencies are removed untill all youre left with are the really high frequencies. A lowpass does the oposite, everything BELOW the cutoff is allowed through and everything above is taken out. A band pass only allows the frequencies around the cutoff to pass through, everything above or below is revoved.

Low end simply refers to the low frequencies of a sound, the stuff that you can feel. Frequency is quite dificult to explain. Although one note on a piano sounds like a pure note, its actually giving of loads of different frequencies, some very high and others very low, these are called "harmonics" and can be mathematically calculated and reproduced if you so wished. The reason you only hear that one pure note is beacuse its much more dominant that the other harmonics, however, when you start to remove those harmonics it can begin to sound very different. Its like watching a film at the cinema. When someone talks you can fell the vibrations in you seat even though they may not have a very low voice, this is because as theyre vocal chords are vibrating, they are producing all these different frequencies which only really become apparent at loud volumes. This is why EQing is so important. A track may not sound that bassy through your hi-fi. But when played through a club system all the dodgy frequencies will be a lot louder and the track could sound far too bassy, and messy.

I hope bthis is some help to you, Im pretty exhausted now so Im gonna leave it, if there is anything else I might be able to help with send me a PM.
16-01-2006 01:46
BeatJunkie BeatJunkie is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

wow, that was a long damn post, will have to read the rest later.....i would let u hear my tune so u guys could tell me what u think, but.... chronic said i had my producer rights but i guess i dont , cuz i cant login on prod. page....can sumone plx help?

__

MuZIK
16-01-2006 01:55 Homepage of BeatJunkie
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

oh yeh , he just meant my drumz..... i use no drums in intro except hats. first drumz are 'funky drummer', i know Nothing about music theory, major and minor notes, eq'ing, filtering, low/high end..... i dunno much, but i wont let that stop me... check out my first tune "Existence" and rip it to pieces. thx!

__

MuZIK
16-01-2006 08:37 Homepage of BeatJunkie
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yes...... another post from the junkie. thanks TechDiff, ure post was a tremendous help. now i know more than 'nothing'!

shweet.

__

MuZIK
16-01-2006 08:44 Homepage of BeatJunkie
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

major scale is all the white keys in c. now you know c major.

thw white key on the left of the double white keys, hit the balack to it's left instead. c minor.

you can find the information and train yuorself.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 17-01-2006 04:56.

17-01-2006 04:52 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

My fellow producer Patrick prefers D minor to compose

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

17-01-2006 07:27 Homepage of Surya
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Its all about the modes IMO, been writting Breakcore in Locrian...sounds evil as you like!
17-01-2006 11:48
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by BeatJunkie
I have ALOT of questions concerning DnB production, as I'm new to the artform. I've been producing for around 3 months now and use the sample based approach. To save space and nerves i guess i'll just ask two questions here:

1- I use FL Studios 5, and was told by someone with FSR that i needed to "quantize" the drumz in my intro..... exactly what does "quantize" mean, and how do i achieve this with FL?

2- Secondly, im trying to get my 'ghost snares' right and atm im using sampled 'roffles' or whatever.... for ghost snares should i be using the same sample as my main snare? (and then change velocity and pitch slightly?) or......?

i have many, many more questions. i dont want someone to walk me thru my own producing, its just that i only know what sounds good to me.... i know nothing about EQ'ing, envelopes, band pass, low end, and all the other technical jargon i hear all the time. Just need a little help gettin started, and cant wait to post one of my tunes so u guys can rip it to shreads.. Wink

i found www.spinwarp.com quite helpful for the basics on ghost hit velocity etc...

__
My Sounds
22-01-2006 19:48
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Sooo many questions....