drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » I can't switch from Techno to DnB
Go to the bottom of this page I can't switch from Techno to DnB
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me Spliff

I've been listening to a lot of older DnB lately (Ed Rush & Optical, Bad Company, Jonny L,...) and it seems that most of these tunes are not really based on a sliced loop. I like the idea much better.
I'll probably slice up a natural break and rip out some elements that give it a typical rollin' feel, next build a not-so rollin' drumloop myself (I'm good at that Huh ) and give it that extra smash by adding the ripped elements.

I'd like a "baby-tunes" forum where you could dump basic stuff like my first break-try.mp3 and get commented on that without building a messy song on a messy drum and next you'll read "you should work on yo drums man" Mad

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
27-01-2006 23:19 Homepage of BattleDrone
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

You could just upload it onto yousendit.com or something similar and post a link here. That way you wouldnt actually have to build an entire song, you could even just post a couple of bars.
27-01-2006 23:27
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
ALSO DO NOT USE THE FRUIT SLICER!!!!!!

everyone that is using fl has the chance to REALY sequence breaks from scratch because of you being able to sequence everything in a seperate channel....

program all you sound in one pattern but diff channels... so you kick, your snares and your hats will all be in sep channels but in the same pattern...

ALSO******** that way you can send each sample to its own mastering channel in FL... this way you cna eq everything seperately and properly. (YOU CANNOT DO THIS IF YOU USE THE SLICER!!!!!!!!!)

I agree and disagree. Your right in saying that its better to use individual channels to create beats, especialy because it alows you to send them to different fx channels etc. But I think if your going to make loads of different variations on your drums the slicer makes things a hell of a lot easier. I find that the mid point is best. I'll create a drum loop, start with a break I sliced up in soundforge, load a different slice into its own channel, then layer other kicks, snares, etc. Fiddle with the eq's till Ive got a drumloop. Then export the whole thing as a wav and slice this up for the drums. This way you still have a good sounding beat but its easier to change and add variations to it

my only issue with that is again you have the chance to really learn break sequencing, so when you do it as frisko says "the hard way" you, gotta undesrtand that the hard way is the proper way... theres no taling shortcuts...sure there are tricks here and there...but if you want to make a variation, start a new pattern and program that variations your self... everyone has their own ways of doing it, i just dont think a shortcut is the way out Smile

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

28-01-2006 20:35
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

DAMN, you 're so right on it. It kinda hurts that there's no easy way around this, but as I'm a bit of a perfectionist in these things it might take quite a while before I'll be able to produce something decent Mad

__
30-01-2006 14:32 Homepage of BattleDrone
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Raiden used to make Techno! Maybe he still does hehe. IMO his sound is very original so get listenin! Bigup
31-01-2006 02:45 Homepage of zebediah
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

yeah raiden's percussion is his tunes is alwayz spot on!!!!

__
My Sounds
31-01-2006 08:36
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I found a user called "Raiden OffKey" (only 1 posting) and one called "Raider"... I guess you mean the last one?

__
31-01-2006 13:26 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

no, it's the first one, raiden offkey. if you mean the estonian dnb producer

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
31-01-2006 13:31 Homepage of cynik
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

But that guy never posted any tunes here?

Anyway, we're slidin' of topic here Big Grin

would it be ok if I use an existing drumloop and slice it up, take out some hits and use them in my own pattern.

Someone mentioned that you should look at this whole drum-thing like a real live drummer and emulate the way he hits the drums but:
- I am not a real live drummer and thus have no idea how he hits the drums in order to get that specific sound which will make the break roll.
- Even if I knew how a real-life drummer does things, I don't know how to translate that into FL studio.

__
31-01-2006 13:51 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
But that guy never posted any tunes here?

not to my knowledge. but, ffs how can you not know of Raiden?? as in Raiden - Fallin

fucking legendary Bigup

quote:
Someone mentioned that you should look at this whole drum-thing like a real live drummer and emulate the way he hits the drums but:
- I am not a real live drummer and thus have no idea how he hits the drums in order to get that specific sound which will make the break roll.
- Even if I knew how a real-life drummer does things, I don't know how to translate that into FL studio.

well, coming from an idea of DNB being based off 70s funk drum brakes that makes perfect sense. go to a live gig to see a drummer. or you can turn on the goddamn tv and find anything recorded live (a concert)

lastly, go to your local cheapest "studio" which has drums in it, just pay for an hour or so and fuck around. no way of theorizing around really unless you try for yourself Wink

__
31-01-2006 14:09 Homepage of cynik
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

OK, you mean Raiden - the DnB artist, I thought some dude on this site had also picked this username and I was looking for his tunes Huh My Mistake

You're right about the studio. Did you do that?

__
31-01-2006 14:27 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
You're right about the studio. Did you do that?

hell yeah, since I've been into metal a lot back in the days. I've mastered the Prodigy - Poison break in the past. it's great, but not as great as sequencing Big Grin

__
31-01-2006 14:41 Homepage of cynik
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

You switched from metal to DnB Big Grin quite a distance.

I would like to master the Prodigy - Poison break in FL without using a slicer as a kind of "style exercise".

__
31-01-2006 17:20 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
You switched from metal to DnB Big Grin quite a distance.

I didn't. I listen to both Big Grin but I'm being very picky. none of that 'nu metal' faggot crap such are Korn or Limp Biscuit or Slipknot etc.

quote:
I would like to master the Prodigy - Poison break in FL without using a slicer as a kind of "style exercise".

you can only try, it would never sound nearly as good because of a simple fact - it was played live

anyway enough of the offtopic, I don't know what the hell I'm foing in the FL forum Confused Big Grin

__
31-01-2006 17:45 Homepage of cynik
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I'm now at a point where I can create a sound that is quite DnB, but I always seem to end up with over-filled baselines that sound like...Techno Big Grin

Also I find it majorly difficult to play the hihat in such a way that it adds to the rolling of the break.

Another mystery is how to get the hihat sound DnB-like (a DnB hihat still seems to sound like a real hihat, but then again it has some tweaking on it)

Appart from creating an own sound I find it difficult and confusing to use the playlist. There are so many approaches to this and I always seem to end up with the wrong one.

It's even harder then I thought Cry .

__
10-02-2006 15:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

For the hats there are numerous things you can do. Sometimes its worth using the envelope thingy in the sampler window and just taking the tail of the hats to give them a tighter feel. Or you could try putting a little pitch modulation just to make them sound a little different. As for getting them to sound rolling, you need to spend a little time adjusting the velocities of the individual hits. If theyre all the same volume then it just sound stupid. If you vary the volume slightly it'll give them a more natural energy.
But to be honest I dont think you should really try too hard to sound like DnB, I'd much ra5ther hear your own style rather than your imitation of the standard DnB thing. If it sounds cool, regardless of style, then cool. But if your not happy with it then not cool. But dont go and set your self the target of sounding like this DnB tune or that DnB tune, sounds like a waste of time aswell as a sure fire way to sap any inspiration. Just make what feels natural. Try to not listen to too much DnB, listen more to your own tunes and let those inspire you to write more, that wat your style will develope more.
10-02-2006 16:42
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by cynik

anyway enough of the offtopic, I don't know what the hell I'm foing in the FL forum Confused Big Grin

lol nice one cynik Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
10-02-2006 18:03 Homepage of baz
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
I'm now at a point where I can create a sound that is quite DnB, but I always seem to end up with over-filled baselines that sound like...Techno Big Grin

Also I find it majorly difficult to play the hihat in such a way that it adds to the rolling of the break.

Another mystery is how to get the hihat sound DnB-like (a DnB hihat still seems to sound like a real hihat, but then again it has some tweaking on it)

Appart from creating an own sound I find it difficult and confusing to use the playlist. There are so many approaches to this and I always seem to end up with the wrong one.

It's even harder then I thought Cry .

imo keep the techno , thats some originality dnb/techno.
hihats... dont bother them just 1perSquare.
its the ghostSnares who are most important.
keep the basskicks Wink
10-02-2006 18:13
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Dear diary Happy ,
I'm making good progress here, but making a tune is difficult, I used to do live gigs and for techno it's quite easy, just switch on/off some channels and change a few parameters and you get a crowd going crazy, no real song needed. The thing I'm stuck with now is automation. I simply hate the way it works. I am pretty visual-minded and automation is good at hiding itself. First of all I have no clue what can/can't be automated, experimented a lot, but to no extend. I also tried to - as mentioned on some tutorial site - select a free channel and record the automation in there in order to be able to remove it without any problems, but that simply didn't work (FL6XXL). Is there any good quick-start (or fr dummies) guide on this topic?

BTW thanks Angel allAngel for overloading me with good advice, I really feel at home on this site!

__
24-02-2006 23:23 Homepage of BattleDrone
you_are_a_noise you_are_a_noise is a male
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2347.jpg

Registration Date: 13-02-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

i thought that making it dnb would just be a matter of tempo &/or beats per measure change?
idk just off the top of my head i think?
i'd like to learn more though so if anyone can help that would be pretty rad

__
 DJ  
27-02-2007 19:22
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » I can't switch from Techno to DnB