drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » I made my first synth!
Go to the bottom of this page I made my first synth!
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Well I got a copy of Reaktor over the festive season & ive finally got round to actually creating my own ensemble.

Its a VERY basic 2 oscillator (saw, tri & pulse) synth with 8 voice poly (4 voice unison), 1 envelope, 2 filters (1 BP/LP & 1 comb), 1 saturator, 1 waveshaper, 1 delay & controllers for master volume, gain & pan.

Ive been fiddling quite a bit with it & have got some fairly cool reeces out of it. Its actually really satisfying to make something that only you have and that is quite unique(ish). I get the feeling that I may never need another soft synth. (well maybe rob papen blue but we'll see about that Wink )

Are there any other Reaktor users on the site? Id be really interested to check out some other user ensembles. Also does anyone have any good tips or walkthroughs? I found a few online which were good but I couldnt find many on synth design Confused

ill post a screen shot of my beast when I get home Big Grin
05-01-2006 17:07
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Nice one man. Ive been using Reaktor for a long while now, trust me, you will never need another soft synth again. If you like the Blue synth then program it. What version are you using? If your on Version 5 then good on you for making the leap into programming your own synths. Ive been using Reaktor since version 2.3 which was a lot more basic. I think the main problem with version 5 is that its so complex that it can seem very daunting for first time users. But because Ive followed each update my knowledge of the programme has meant that version 5 doesnt seem very complicated. But props for getting stuck in, its the best way to learn the program.

I found that one thing that helps to understand what going on is to break the steps up a bit. Rather than trying to build a synth completely from scratch, try building one from chunks of other synths. ie, take the oscillator section from 1 synth, the filter section from another, and so on. Gradually you can start to change these macros to suit your own needs. Eventually you'll be able to build something completely from scratch which is tailored to your exact needs. Ive built a couple synths which I use in just about every tune Ive done so I havent built any new ones in a while.

I prefer to use reaktor for beats and effects rather than synths though. Some of the delay modules are amazing, as are all the sample modules. My favourite has got to be the grain cloud thing and the grain synth stuff is cool too. If you havent checked it out all ready, the vectroy instrument is a cool place to start messing around with beats.
Its also worth trying really stupid things too. I really like to set up a gate with a side chain input, and rather than using the values coming out of the gate for audio, I use the signal to change data, ie re-starting a sequencer or triggering an effect or send on a mixer. Ive got a few ensembles which are completly automatic, you just press play and away they go, different every time. (although not exactly "musical")

If you got any questions or need help with anything send me a PM and I'll try to help as best I can. If I get round to it I'll post some screen shots.
05-01-2006 18:08
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

ive heard so much about reaktor. recentley i read on the ni website about dom roland n he uses it n he says itz phat. i reali want it does ne1 have it or wanna do a program exchange jus pm me or somthing
05-01-2006 18:23
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by PEAHEAD
ive heard so much about reaktor. recentley i read on the ni website about dom roland n he uses it n he says itz phat. i reali want it does ne1 have it or wanna do a program exchange jus pm me or somthing

To be fair though, Everything that Ni release is amazing, but Reaktor does take the piss. Im sorry to keep preaching on, but Reaktor kicks everything else arse! If you havent seen it already, check out the Tim Exile video. It really shows off what Reaktor can do.

@Peahead. I cant imagine anyone wanting to swap Reaktor because A, its so fucking good. and B, its cost a fucking fortune. But I suspect that you'd be able to find it in less Kosha fasion if your that way inclined. But if you do, and you end up using it a lot, buy the proper thing so that we can all look forwards to a reaktor 6!
05-01-2006 18:57
@1$-)
unregistered
lol. welcome to the darkside......the N.I stuff always sounds better than any other soft synths ive used....(i wouldnt bother with blue!!! as far as i can hear its overhyped...) .i kinda gave upon building my own synths with reaktor cause i just dont have the time, and theres enough tweakability with the presets that you can turn even the most used sound into something new, ive been using it as an effects processor for my hardware and absynth....dutty!!!!!.
05-01-2006 20:15
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
lol. welcome to the darkside...... ive been using it as an effects processor for my hardware and absynth....dutty!!!!!.

Nah, not welcome to the darkside, the young jedi has seen the light!!
Still havent tried using Absynth through Reaktor, that said though, I would be supprised if you couldnt build a similar synth in Reaktor anyway.
05-01-2006 21:53
@1$-)
unregistered
yep you could. or you could just be a lazy git and use absynth and get quicker results....theres very little point in being the best synth designer in the world if the time it takes you to build an ensemble kills off your initial inspiration.....i normally run my microkorg through reaktor, and ill also use the fx to process samples.

anyway crushfuck u should check electronic instruments 1 & 2. and have a look or the menace ensemble if your feeling a bit cause 4 concern.
05-01-2006 23:30
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
Well I got a copy of Reaktor over the festive season & ive finally got round to actually creating my own ensemble.

Its a VERY basic 2 oscillator (saw, tri & pulse) synth with 8 voice poly (4 voice unison), 1 envelope, 2 filters (1 BP/LP & 1 comb), 1 saturator, 1 waveshaper, 1 delay & controllers for master volume, gain & pan.

Ive been fiddling quite a bit with it & have got some fairly cool reeces out of it. Its actually really satisfying to make something that only you have and that is quite unique(ish). I get the feeling that I may never need another soft synth. (well maybe rob papen blue but we'll see about that Wink )

Are there any other Reaktor users on the site? Id be really interested to check out some other user ensembles. Also does anyone have any good tips or walkthroughs? I found a few online which were good but I couldnt find many on synth design Confused

ill post a screen shot of my beast when I get home Big Grin

never give up the blue. FM synths FTW

i'd like to use thje ensable, i dont' creat Reaktor, but use Reaktor 5

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 07-01-2006 00:20.

07-01-2006 00:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Hey man, yeah its reaktor 5 im using - and your right it is pretty daunting. The synth I made was from using macros pretty much, its a bit of cheat as it creates the panel & everything for you bt I think I need to do a bit more learning before im gonna be able to create something completely from scratch. I might try munki's technique and run my evolver through it & see what happens. I guess I should be able to make some pretty crazy effects with it Smile

Oh I checked out electronic instruments 1 as well and the Titan synth is very nice indeed. that thing is designed for d&b!

quote:
originally quoted by Halph-Price
i'd like to use thje ensable, i dont' creat Reaktor, but use Reaktor 5

That seems to be the amazing thing about reaktor - if you dont have the time or dont feel like creating an ensemble you've got like 40+ instruments to play with!!! bonus! Tongue
10-01-2006 11:38
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

it's as deep as you need/want it to be. from plugin to mixing, or instumnets, from scratch, changed a preset, made using differnt presets. it's modular in the truest sence

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2006 02:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » I made my first synth!