drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Hercules DJ console
Go to the bottom of this page Hercules DJ console
Author
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

What do you think of this? It's for tha comp...
I'm planning to buy it but I need your opinion first.

__

04-12-2005 14:31 Homepage of Rude
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Rude

Depends on what you want to do with it offcourse. For me it would be pretty useless.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
04-12-2005 18:54 Homepage of djfreemc
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
quote:

Depends on what you want to do with it offcourse. For me it would be pretty useless.

to spin some shit on parties

__

04-12-2005 19:10 Homepage of Rude
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

nah, dont buy, you'll be regarded as a complete wannabe dj...same if u buy one of those numark ipod mixers..
if u absolutely want to mix with ur pc, wich is imo for wannabes too, just use your mouse..
otherwise: buy two tt's and a mixer Wink

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
04-12-2005 21:55 Homepage of Friscko
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

hercules is a computer company, not really true audio gear. maybe good for doing Internet radio, but for making actual money spinning, don't. even the promoters would think you're a wana be with that fisher-price rip off. evne the iPod ones would be a better idea.

hey let's try there website. http://www.hercules.com/

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 04-12-2005 22:53.

04-12-2005 22:53 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I've heard it's useless...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

05-12-2005 07:22 Homepage of Surya
killinja

Registration Date: 28-08-2005

quote:

it looks even cooler than those casio and bontempi toy keyboards, great enough if you wanna dj in kindergarten Smile
05-12-2005 09:49
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by Surya

I played with it at sounds expo in london and it wasnt very good...... the jog wheels were really loose you could just flick it & it would spin round and round for ages... and i didnt think the software was very user friendly either
05-12-2005 11:30
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

If you want to spin using a computer, you might better get an ecler nuo4 with traktor dj studio.

__
05-12-2005 17:25 Homepage of djfreemc
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

It looks like u can't check your levels on each channel. And everything is so close together ... it would be easy to accidentally trigger sh*t on and off while using the pitch. They could have placed the pitch adjuster somewhere else.
Then again I have no idea how big this thing is.
Confused
06-12-2005 20:06 Homepage of zebediah
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

It's not for big parties tho...
I'm planning to spin @ my GF's bday party.
I got everything xept for CD-players.
So IMO it would be better to use my comp?

__

06-12-2005 20:24 Homepage of Rude
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Everybody is probably going to disagree with this, but I think that computers are better for mixing all together, although that thing does look like a piece of shit..... You could use tracktor which is alright, or Reaktor which is amazing, even Abelton offers so many more posibilities than the good old decks or CD mixers. Dont get me wrong on this. Theyre fun to use but you cant do all that much with them. Some of the computer alternitives offer you complete control over the audio, you can do absolutely everything! For instance, I programmed this new patch in reaktor which allows me to play an audio loop normally, or I can set different snap points in that loop and different granular settings for each snap point, You can then use the original loop to make up a completely different sounding drumloop using the computer keyboard to trigger the different snaps. Thats just one little thing. You can use loads of effects and filters, granular samplers so that you can adjust the speed without changing the pitch or visa versa, And I even went to the point of programming a patch which will do the beat matching for me, I just tell it which tune Im going to play, and it adjusts the sampler settings so that its bang in time without altering the master tempo, and its not cheeting because it took me about a week to get working perfectly. I think the reason people are reluctant to switch to computers is that you cant get away with not doing very much. If youre doing a set with vinyl it looks like your doing a lot because your trying to beat match, if you where doing the same set using a computer, it would look like you where doing sod all. You cant get away with doing a lazy mix set.
07-12-2005 13:11
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
Everybody is probably going to disagree with this, but I think that computers are better for mixing all together, although that thing does look like a piece of shit..... You could use tracktor which is alright, or Reaktor which is amazing, even Abelton offers so many more posibilities than the good old decks or CD mixers. Dont get me wrong on this. Theyre fun to use but you cant do all that much with them. Some of the computer alternitives offer you complete control over the audio, you can do absolutely everything! For instance, I programmed this new patch in reaktor which allows me to play an audio loop normally, or I can set different snap points in that loop and different granular settings for each snap point, You can then use the original loop to make up a completely different sounding drumloop using the computer keyboard to trigger the different snaps. Thats just one little thing. You can use loads of effects and filters, granular samplers so that you can adjust the speed without changing the pitch or visa versa, And I even went to the point of programming a patch which will do the beat matching for me, I just tell it which tune Im going to play, and it adjusts the sampler settings so that its bang in time without altering the master tempo, and its not cheeting because it took me about a week to get working perfectly. I think the reason people are reluctant to switch to computers is that you cant get away with not doing very much. If youre doing a set with vinyl it looks like your doing a lot because your trying to beat match, if you where doing the same set using a computer, it would look like you where doing sod all. You cant get away with doing a lazy mix set.

No offence, but with a good recent dj cd player and mixer you can do most of the thing you mentioned here. The main reason for using decks, cdplayers and a mixer are not the fun or the number of possibilities, but the ease of use. Most people find it easier to put on a record, push play and switch faders (easily put) then clicking a few dozen times.

__
07-12-2005 18:47 Homepage of djfreemc
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

when it comes live, Analog has no parrel, even if it's like the virus, a computer that does sound. Analog goes hand in hand with STABLE. mostly it's where it comes down to, specially live mixing.

but this isn't answering any question, just want to talk about live sound, analog works best for on-the-fly decisons, AND it's stable. beyond that, you usually don't need more, just digital is cheaper, and computers software, even mroe so, because you get bells and wistles for much less than the analog verison.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 07-12-2005 21:45.

07-12-2005 21:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
when it comes live, Analog has no parrel, even if it's like the virus, a computer that does sound. Analog goes hand in hand with STABLE. mostly it's where it comes down to, specially live mixing.

If you mean actual hardware instead of a computer by analog, I kinda disagree. A lot of hardware runs on internal software called firmware. Allthough those are usually checked more before releasing a product then PC software, it can still be unstable and cause crashes. And if you mean real analog: listen to a first generation moog or something. If you put it to the exact same setting twice, it is sure to sound different. You call that stable?

__
08-12-2005 17:06 Homepage of djfreemc
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

I think he means more in terms of the records and decks as opposed to a Laptop. I guess in some ways, records are more stable and reliable but other times they arent. I guess the main advantage is that if your putting a night on, all the DJ's can use the same decks, if you can use one set you can use them all. But I stand by my laptop. I honestly think that the possibilities as to what you can do are endless. I dont think its any more awkward than carrying a mass of records with you, if your using something like traktor you can use any MP3 that youve ever downloaded, so the whole snap decision thing doesnt really enter into it. And as for a decent set of CD decks being able to do the same as a Laptop, thats way off the mark. Look at someone like Exile, when he does live sets he doesnt know what he is going to play until he starts doing it. Every synth line, break tweak, sample, evrything is done there and then using a Laptop and a few midi controllers. The possibilities are infinite. I guess if your using a closed system like Traktor or Ableton, then you are limited but still much less than by using Decks or CD decks. And although Im always going on about it, if your using something like reaktor, then there is literaly no end to the posibilities. If you decide halfway through a track that it could do with another bass line, you can load up a synth, play a line with a midi keyboard, save the midi data so that the synth line continues without you having to keep playing it, and adjust the settings on the synth, all without disrupting the overall sound. Or think about Radio boy, he managed an hour long set using a Laptop running Max/msp or PD, a condensor microphone, and a milkbottle! fucking good it was too.
08-12-2005 17:34
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
quote:

If you mean actual hardware instead of a computer by analog, I kinda disagree. A lot of hardware runs on internal software called firmware. Allthough those are usually checked more before releasing a product then PC software, it can still be unstable and cause crashes. And if you mean real analog: listen to a first generation moog or something. If you put it to the exact same setting twice, it is sure to sound different. You call that stable?

the OS on hardware gear is more stable than windows. comparitivly now, windows and mac are about the same in stability, but still, the os are both complex in there tasks managment, and there is crashes that happen, a lot more than in hardware. in most cases hardware now can be patched. basic synth's don't crash that often, and if they do, you know how to avoid if it does.

also digital mixing boards have multiple layers. you have to go to certin areas in the program to get the faders to do the correct thing. you have split-seconds to react when doing live, you don't have time to flick through screens.

most hardware synth's have Preformance mode, which are simple and quick reactions from patch to patch. i have only used a APR 2600 analog synth, but, yea, there's no LCD screen to have to poke through, just wire patches. they don't have a system coreaudio erro, and have to wait for the machine to reload. you use a PEN AND PAPER to write down the settings. but, this is what they invented midi and memory cards to record the sysex for.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-12-2005 00:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumJoyce
Tourist

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
quote:
Originally posted by Surya

I played with it at sounds expo in london and it wasnt very good...... the jog wheels were really loose you could just flick it & it would spin round and round for ages... and i didnt think the software was very user friendly either

the jog wheels are for scratching!
& the software is sooooooo relaxed
the auto-beatmatch button might come in handy if you don't have much time to mix & you want to throw alot of tunes on the floor

Really, Virtual DJ is easy to work with

__
beefcake
07-03-2006 10:29
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
i have only used a APR 2600 analog synth, but, yea, there's no LCD screen to have to poke through, just wire patches. they don't have a system coreaudio erro, and have to wait for the machine to reload. you use a PEN AND PAPER to write down the settings.

Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga Gaga

I want one
07-03-2006 12:26
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

it looks cheaper than a chinese whore

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
13-03-2006 10:59 Homepage of cynik