drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Sound quality!?
Go to the bottom of this page Sound quality!?
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

I'm pretty angry about the fact that when I send demos I always get to hear that my soundquality isn't good enough. I don't think this is really true so I whant to hear what you peaple think about it, and therfore I have put my tune on this site. Please have a listen and tell me what you think:
Abnormalbrain - Musical drum'n'bass

How important is the soundquality really? Couse I dout that all the wellknown d'n'b-producers have excellent soundquallity.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
27-11-2005 19:15 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Dubrain Hertz Dubrain Hertz is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-1290.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Sound-quality is something DnB heads in general are pretty obsessed about. It's important for sure but people listen to music quite differently I guess. It's all about frame of reference, some people like commercial DnB and pop music and are used to listening to quite expensive productions, others, like myself listen to lots of stuff including underground industrial metal/noise and all sorts of sound-wise quite nasty stuff and thus have a high tolerance for poor sound-quality.

When I first posted stuff here I got slagged hard for my production which really surprised me then.

Label-people in general knows that if a record has a pro sound more people will like and and more people will buy it, that's just how it works.

One should never just safe it with trying to make stuff sound pop though, that's just boring.

__
Download my album for free/pay what you want http://recordsofthefleshgod.bandcamp.com...years-2002-2005
27-11-2005 19:55 Homepage of Dubrain Hertz
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by Abnormalbrain
I'm pretty angry about the fact that when I send demos I always get to hear that my soundquality isn't good enough. I don't think this is really true so I whant to hear what you peaple think about it, and therfore I have put my tune on this site. Please have a listen and tell me what you think:

How important is the soundquality really? Couse I dout that all the wellknown d'n'b-producers have excellent soundquallity.

you should proffesionally master your track before sending them anywhere.
27-11-2005 22:04
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by greyone

are you sure about that? labels often have a distinct sound and therefore use the same engineer(s) for each track they sign.. doubt it they would ask for a mastered track

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
28-11-2005 01:26 Homepage of cynik
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

yeah...sound quality is so important to dnb producers, since they use gritty breaks from the '60's and all...
seriously though it really varies, if you can get out what you're trying to have people hear, and it's enjoyable, your sound quality is good enough. when i think "obsessive over sound quality", i think mainstream rap or rnb, which is obsessed with crisp, clear hats and all that...it sounds like sugar but then again too much sugar makes your stomach hurt...a musical diet of mainstream rap is a good way to kill your aural taste buds. i never want dnb to be all like that.
pendulum is setting new standards, but if everyone could have quality as good as pendulum's, then pendulum wouldn't be unique. right?
28-11-2005 02:22
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:

yup... sounds like shit... dude.. how many times do i have to say it.. a crap track wwith a perfect mixdown will get signed before a grat track with a bad one...

you have to undesrtand taht labels look for consistancy.. if you cannot make a track sound mint the first time around, there not gonna take the time to even touch it up in their studios at all... without perfect soudn quality youre not gonna get a track signed at all.. plus you shouldnt be sending anything out unless it can compete with tracks that are on teh market anyway... imho this was a bad move on your part... and you shouldnt be surprised by the response of these labels...

@darkside... pendulum has skills but its relaly only rob behind most of the tracks... plus they have a pretty good studio, and some nifty equipment im sure... howver it doesnt really matter anyway... it all comes down to ksills... Adam F uses a fucking MPC sampler to sequence his tracks... so i dont want to hear a single person complain about sound quality or software or anything...

it takes time... if you havent been producing for atlesat like 2-3 yrs i dont think you should be sending out traciks... it usually takes an average producer 5 yrs to get a track signed...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

28-11-2005 02:29
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by greyone
quote:

no i disagree... if you go and have someone professinally master it before you send it out, that jsut means you fucking suck and cant do it yourself.. how about you take a 6 exra months to learn yourself and do it for free... slackers...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

28-11-2005 02:31
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

yeah pendulum n noisia n limewax have quality as fuck production sound.

having a quality production sound is very important in dnb and any other genre. you have to have all your sounds sitting right and get the most out of every sound. you get that through sitting there and eq'n n mastering it all. with dnb u have to have ur bass n drums pounding through the system so nicely, thats what makes people want to listen to it, because its so nice and balanced on the ears. im stoned n talkn shit now. peace

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
28-11-2005 02:35 Homepage of anf0 D
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

Those labels that I have been contacting don't whan't the tunes to be mastered. They wan't it to be real good withought mastering. Then they can put their tuch on the tune with a mastering engineer that they pay.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
30-11-2005 15:52 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

heh hate to say it but I TOLD YOU SO!!! lol

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 30-11-2005 16:06.

30-11-2005 16:05 Homepage of cynik
@1$-)
unregistered
erm.....practice?!?!? and then practice some more. if it was perfect thered be no point in doing any more mixes would there.
30-11-2005 16:46
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Sound quality!?