drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Raid?????
Go to the bottom of this page Raid?????
Author
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

can someone give me the lowdown on RAID?

i know it makes ur two or more hard drives work faster or sumthing but not sure how....and theres different types Confused Confused

please keep it simple...........like me Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

23-11-2005 17:20 Homepage of D2o
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

RAID is a technology to approach multiple harddrives as 1.

You have a setup where 2 harddrives both have the same data, best for securing your data from diskcrashes
There is a setup in which the data is spread over 5 harddrives, with each harddrive having paritybits for the data. If one drive fails, the data is still acessible, if 2 fail at the same time, stuff is still fucked. This is RAID 5.

Thats what I remember...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-11-2005 17:29 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

err, isnt it a speed thing, not security related ? from what Ive heard, it does contain the same data over two hd's for faster access times, but if one hd fails youre fucked

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
24-11-2005 13:56 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I didn't mean security as in security, but if you have your data with parity bits on multiple disks, you have it secured against one harddisk crashing Wink And yes, since the data is read from multiple disks at once, it's much faster.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-11-2005 13:59 Homepage of Surya
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

raid 0 is just seeing 2 drives as 1 drive, with twice the read and write speed - with the major disdvantag of also having twice the chance of failure (one disk fails = all data lost) I don't recommend using this at all, I used this once, and lost about 120gig (2x60gig) of data due to disk corruption.

raid 1 is for pure security - write the same data to 2 disk. You see those 2 as 1 disk. Reading can be faster because you can read from 2 disks, but you lose 50% of the storage space.

raid 5 is 3 or more disks that you see as one, where you can change a disk without data loss, as surya explained (but it already works with 3). You lose a certain % of storage, but it's always less than 50% Smile Usually it's 20/30% depending on your setup. Raid5 should be faster for both reading and writing, however it depends a lot on the hardware controller where your disks are connected on. These controllers usually aren't cheap, however prices have dropped dramaticly the last few years. I'll explain raid5 a bit better: your machine is running, one disk of the 3 in your raid-setup crashes - and your system continues working. With cheap sollutions you have to shutdown your pc, insert a new disk (usually has to be of the same type/size) and it will rebuild the data on the disk when you turn the pc on again. With Expensive systems do this on-the-fly meaning that you can simply remove the harddisk that failed while your pc is still running, and add a new-one. The controller will then rebuild the data on that disk in background, and you can continue working.

On really expensive raid5 controllers, you can choose how many disks may fail at the same time without data loss. This will result in more loss of space, but if you have a raid5 setup with 14 disks or more, it could be usefull to prepare for 2 disk failures at the same time, the chance that 2 fail becomes more and more realistic since during a rebuild of a disk, it stresses the other disks a lot more than in normal use. Sometimes this is referred to as "raid 6".

Anyway - that's the technical side, you have some other variations like raid 1+0, 7, 10, 50, ... all a bit different.

Here you find more info about it Smile

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee
24-11-2005 15:41 Homepage of KoFFiE
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

100% correct. it's not really that feasable for consummers, since the minimal size is 250 gb's, and it's usually just managed by one server computer. this is what business serves use.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-11-2005 18:29 Homepage of Halph-Price
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
100% correct. it's not really that feasable for consummers, since the minimal size is 250 gb's, and it's usually just managed by one server computer. this is what business serves use.

Hmm I know a few ppl that have raid5 setups in their pc's. Some of them do it just for show, but others do it to avoid losing precious data. My nephew now uses a raid5 array of 3TB to store HQ video & sound data. This is his home studio, not his pro studio (he's a tv-producer)...

Also, RAID5 controllers are becoming cheaper and cheaper, and more interesting now you have SATA disks (no cable mess, and more optimal data-tranfer)

[edit] I also don't know where you get it that minimal size is 250gig, first time I've ever seen a raid5 setup, it had the staggering 15gb storage, which were 3 6gig SCSI disks which must have cost a fortune back-then... Minimal size depends on your disks you put in the raid array. The only thing you really have to take care of is that all disks are the same size, otherwise, all disks will be treated as a disk with the size of the smalest, so if you put a 100gig, and 2 250gig disks in a raid array, you will have less than 300 gig, since each 250gig will be treated as a 100gig disk. Best practice is to use identical disks, and if you're spending on a raid array anyway, immediately buy 1 or 2 spare disks, this saves you a lot of trouble if you have to find a compatible disk a few years later.

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by KoFFiE: 25-11-2005 11:15.

25-11-2005 00:40 Homepage of KoFFiE
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, I would like a RAID setup for my music data too...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

25-11-2005 06:58 Homepage of Surya
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

just back up at the end of every day, and evne if you lose data, you can recover it, it's not gone, it just says it's gone. Raid just insures zero downtime at the work place. if the server goes down that's 100+ employee's doing nothing, sorta thing.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-11-2005 17:29 Homepage of Halph-Price
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

The problem remains that you lose all work you did since your last backup. I imagine that after 2 hours of really progressing on a track and then having a diskcrash is eehm "a bit" frustrating... Smile

__
25-11-2005 23:26 Homepage of KoFFiE
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

If you can't get a RAID installed, make backups every day!

I use Syncback SE for that, I set it up to make a backup of my important folders (documents, audio sessions, mail etc) every day at 10AM.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-11-2005 08:20 Homepage of thechronic
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

you can recover data from years ago, forget minutes ago. thre are either poeple to get it for you, or get the software to do it. even nortan has a data recovery for files. nothing is truly erased in computers.

creepy.

informationjust stays around. look at www.theonion.com.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

26-11-2005 08:23 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
you can recover data from years ago, forget minutes ago. thre are either poeple to get it for you, or get the software to do it. even nortan has a data recovery for files. nothing is truly erased in computers.

creepy.

informationjust stays around. look at www.theonion.com.

If your disk is fried, it's fried. You CAN send it to England where they take out the disks and place them in new HDs, but theres no way you can afford that!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-11-2005 17:21 Homepage of Surya
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

there are data recover guys all over, if you despratly need deleated data, or lost data.

now i dunno about PHYSICLY damged drives... but still, there can be files on your harddrive, taht are even physically, (well electricly) saved over even after deletion that can still be recoverd, it takes several write overs to eleiminate the charges that make the data. it's hard to lose information. programs made to write garbage over a drive to mask the information are the closest you can get to a real destruction of data.

but, ya, it does cost moeny. so do raids.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

31-12-2005 05:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
there are data recover guys all over, if you despratly need deleated data, or lost data.

now i dunno about PHYSICLY damged drives... but still, there can be files on your harddrive, taht are even physically, (well electricly) saved over even after deletion that can still be recoverd, it takes several write overs to eleiminate the charges that make the data. it's hard to lose information. programs made to write garbage over a drive to mask the information are the closest you can get to a real destruction of data.

but, ya, it does cost moeny. so do raids.

damn right they can ALWAYS retrieve data from ur computer once it has been installed, i(ve seen people rippin out hd's @ LAN-party's when the cops came to check the place (some morron placed the following note on the flyer: games that will be played in the competition will be shared on the DC-hub, lol(wich means as much as saying "we'll be giving away illegal software Big Grin "))
anyways rippin hd's out of a computer while it's turnin obviously wrecks the hd
yet the organisation got busted real big that time
cops almost retrieved evry byte (or at least the name of the files) that were ever installed on the hd.

an bout the "raid's cost money" thing i say it's bullshit
all u need is a raid setup disk an be willing to learn something bout raid-configs/ghost configs

(info on raid config (or where to get the setup) PM me i'd be glad to help)
Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
01-01-2006 15:59 Homepage of baz
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

oh man, ripping the drive out of the system, that's fucked. good for you that the info got wrecked. but yea, even places like enron, they wipe hard drive clean, and still data recovery comes around, and can still extract the increimanting information off of them. nothing get's deleated, just moved around.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

02-01-2006 10:22 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Raid?????