drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJ Gear » skipping needle
Go to the bottom of this page skipping needle
Author
Sexy Steppa

Registration Date: 26-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Needle skips while scratching, anybody knows howcome? cartrigde is 15 mm but highadj goes till 6 mm is this a problem? antiskate is correct tuned so..... HELP plz!!!

__
Enter the place where madness enters your soul
17-11-2005 22:55
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by Sub-Skit
Needle skips while scratching, anybody knows howcome? cartrigde is 15 mm but highadj goes till 6 mm is this a problem? antiskate is correct tuned so..... HELP plz!!!

Waht needle? btw, from what I know, anti-skate should be set at zero for scratching..

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
17-11-2005 23:13 Homepage of Friscko
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

You have to set up your weight on the turntable handle, which hold the needle. More weight - less skip, but more used vinyls.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
17-11-2005 23:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Twistedinc Twistedinc is a male

Registration Date: 09-11-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
You have to set up your weight on the turntable handle, which hold the needle. More weight - less skip, but more used vinyls.

took the words right outta my mouth ..yup put the weight closer to the arm..find that nice medium for mixinf and scratching..don't put to much force into the scrtching, that will cause the needle to jump to..your fingers must touck softly yet firmly

__

17-11-2005 23:29
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

What kind of needles and TT's do you have?

Read your needle's and TT's manual on how to set up the needle, weight and tonearm height properly, set antiskip to 0 for heavy scratching. Examine your scratchin' technique, if you "tap" on the record hard, that may cause the needle to skip. You can add some weight if necessary, but in normal conditions your needle should be able to handle some scratching without putting on more weight then necessary. If you do a lot of scratching, consider buying needles with spherical tips.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
17-11-2005 23:36 Homepage of djfreemc
Sub-Skit Sub-Skit is a female
Sexy Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

needle is Stanton trackmaster 2 SK

but does the hight adjustment has anything to do whith that skipping?

before we scratched with ortofon s scratching needle and we didn't have that skipping problem...

Is it possible that it is the tt that has nog such a high quality

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Sub-Skit: 18-11-2005 13:41.

18-11-2005 13:15
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:

before we scratched with ortofon s scratching needle and we didn't have that skipping problem...

I guess you best go buy other needles, like ortofons..stanton trackmasters havent got such a good reputation..and buying ortofon DJ-s'es worked for me
and ur tt? u got technics, right? with a technics normally there's not to much that can go wrong, unless you spill beer on em...
I wouldnt know what else it could be

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
18-11-2005 16:19 Homepage of Friscko
Sexy Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah I got technics but it aint my problem either, is my boyfriends problem, needle turntable :p

__
18-11-2005 17:08
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

You should set the height so that the tonearm is perfectly horizontal when playing a record. I got a stanton discmaster II, which is quite similar. My settings are: weight on 2.5 (which is quite low), antiskate 2.5, and height almost 1, Never have any skipping when scratching. Offcourse the deck itsself should be in perfect horizontal position also.
If nothing seems to help, just turn the weight all the way back, and restart the whole calibration of the deck. Sometimes that is the only thing that helps.
Also check if the needle's aren't worn out to much, that can cause some bad skipping...

__
18-11-2005 23:31 Homepage of djfreemc
Sexy Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

nah it's a new needle so cant be worn out

but what is 'calibration'?

__
20-11-2005 23:40
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
quote:

Waht needle? btw, from what I know, anti-skate should be set at zero for scratching..

no should be set to the max... antiskate is made so your needle stays in teh groove because of high tracking forces.,..which is what is for scratching...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

21-11-2005 02:18
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
quote:

I guess you best go buy other needles, like ortofons..stanton trackmasters havent got such a good reputation..and buying ortofon DJ-s'es worked for me
and ur tt? u got technics, right? with a technics normally there's not to much that can go wrong, unless you spill beer on em...
I wouldnt know what else it could be

HAHAHAHAHA hes reffering to me by the way.... HAHAHA the damn thing is still broken...stupid beer

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

21-11-2005 02:20
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
nah it's a new needle so cant be worn out

but what is 'calibration'?

By calibration I mean all settings and adjustments you have to make on a turntable to make it work perfectly. Since you say it is a new needle, that is probably the problem, you should always to that with a new needle (certainly if you got a different type of cartridge). On how to do that: RTFM, or follow this short version instructions here:

- Install the needle
- Rotate the counterweight all the way to the back
- Now your needle will be somewhere in the air
- Now start rotating the weight towards the arm base, untill the arm is pefectly horizontal in balance. (If you find that easier you can turn the height adjusment all the way up before you do this, just to make it easier to work).
- Now turn the ring with the numbers on the weight untill the 0 is on top, DO NOT TURN THE WEIGHT ITSSELF!
- Now turn the weight and ring together towards the base, untill the weight mentioned in your needle's manual is at the top (usually somewhere between 2 and 3.5)
- For regular playing, set the anti-skate adjustment to the same as the weight (so somewhere between 2 and 3 usually)
- For heavy scratching you can set the anti-skate to 0, allthough I have never had problems leaving it where it was.
- The last step is to set the height just right. Put on a record (don't play it, just put it on the platter), put the needle on the record, and then turn the height adjustment up or down untill the arm is perfectly horizontal.

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
no should be set to the max... antiskate is made so your needle stays in teh groove because of high tracking forces.,..which is what is for scratching...

Nope, you should reread the turntable basics. The anti-skate is to COMPENSATE the inward force created during normal (forward) play. When scratching, you will usually move the record forward and reverse in more or less equal amounts. If the antiskate is still on, it will increase the force when turning back, instead of compensating it, therefor it is advised to set the antiskate to 0 for heavy scratching, backspinning, rewinding, or reverse playing. In fact you should even be able to set negative anti-skate for reverse playing, but I haven't seen any TT with that possibility yet.

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 21-11-2005 16:55.

21-11-2005 16:50 Homepage of djfreemc
Sexy Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Knew how to adjust the weight thing, didn't know the height thing...
Tnx we will try that one

__
22-11-2005 17:33
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

Registration Date: 16-12-2007

Do all TTs have anti-skate? I don't think mine has it...
25-09-2008 04:43
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Zombie thread escaped from the grave... run for your lives

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
25-09-2008 16:21 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Crying Shocked

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
25-09-2008 16:39 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Thisisausername Thisisausername is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2604.jpg

Registration Date: 19-05-2008

quote:

Well possibly the best scratch DJ in the world disagrees with you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-ymUuMmP0

Anyway, I hope this video helps with your skipping, it explains alot about the height, so if it still skips then it could just be your cartridges...
25-09-2008 17:09
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJ Gear » skipping needle