drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » I have blown my amp
Go to the bottom of this page I have blown my amp
Author
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Yesterday I had a homeparty, but halfway my amplifier suddenly just turned off. As I was looking what was going on I felt it was really hot...I've let it cool down, but we couldn't get it back on, and even now i still cant get it back on..
It' s a Sony TA-F590ES, my dad and I tought it has got a "safetyswitch" to prevent it to blow itself up when it gets too hot (by shutting itself down), but it had a time from 02 till 13 to cool down and we cant get it back on..
Serious investments comin up? Frown

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Friscko: 12-08-2006 14:35.

12-11-2005 15:51 Homepage of Friscko
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

lol you've blown it Big Grin

When you hear distortion you are supposed to turn your amp down Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-11-2005 05:10 Homepage of thechronic
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
lol you've blown it Big Grin

I didnt hear really distortion, it just stopped...
And how could it have been distorted anyway, the "attenuator" was only half open..
But what we forgot was that we put the covers from the tt's on top of the amp, becuase while setting up we didnt find another place to put em, and forgot about them..My Mistake
So now it's broken and i'd like to know what i'm going to have to pay to get it repaired Crying Cry

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Friscko: 13-11-2005 18:01.

13-11-2005 16:01 Homepage of Friscko
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

Cry Cry Cry

__

13-11-2005 20:41 Homepage of Friscko
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

So I'm using another one we had lyin around here, collecting dust, but it seems like this one is a piece of utter crap.
when i'm mixing sometimes (or actually just all the time) the sound just falls away and then comes back distorted, to fall away again, come back normal, fall away again a few times come back distorted....
It's got 2*125W speakers and 2*65W speakers on it, and even when playing only the 65w's on a very low volume (that low you can also hear the needle's noise) I get that very frustrating thing...
And this time it's not covered at all, there's nothing above, under or next to it...

Just gotta get my sony fixed, as it's best amp we have here at home and we have 3...

__

03-01-2006 18:39 Homepage of Friscko
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Ive had similar problems a few times. If its the same thing as Ive had it should be pretty easy to fix yourself, although if its under a guaretee I wouldnt recomend it.

First, unplug the amp.
Inside the amp, there may be a row of 2-4 fuses, (depending on how many speaker connecftions you have) these are there to stop your speakers getting damaged when you turn the amp up too much or it gets over heated. They look just like the fuses in an electrical plug. Ive managed to blow the fuses in my amp a few times, but its a nice old NAD and sounds fucking sweet so I dont wanna chuck it. When theyre blown everything that comes out of the speakers sounds quiet and extreamly distorted. You'll be able to tell which ones are blown because theyre normally see through and you'll be able to see the broken filament inside. You should be able to take the fuses out and replace them with new ones, make sure theyre exactly the same and that you fit them properly.

I hope this is some help. If the amp wont even turn on, then dont touch it at all. Chances are that youve blown the power supply and there could be static build up inside the amp. I which case you'd probably be able to get it fixed, but depending on the amp it could work out cheeper to buy a new one.

1 stupid question. Have you checked the fuse in the wall plug?
04-01-2006 00:40
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
1 stupid question. Have you checked the fuse in the wall plug?

Plugged it in in 3 different wall plugs in 2 different houses, so yes

Been tryin to get it open today, but it seems like the half of ly screwdrivers (including the one needed) suddenly dissapeared Roll Eyes

__

15-02-2006 15:19 Homepage of Friscko
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Techdiff means something else, in the UK they often have fuses built into the wall plugs of the electrical power cords. In Belgium this is illegal. Instead you'll have a centrally located electrical switchbox containing all the fuses, which are switchable types instead of burnthrough types, so they don't need replacing, just flip the switch to put the power back on.

But you already checked this by testing different outlets. It is easier to just plug in a lamp in the outlet to see if it is working, no need to chug the amp over to a friend's house to be sure Smile

If the amp is really completely dead (so no power lights coming on etc) you have a very good chance that the internal fuses are blown or that the power supply is broken.

To check the fuses: locate a screwdriver, open it up and locate the fuses. Either twist them out or pop them out with a screwdriver. If they are blown the small metal wire inside is broken, you can see this easily. If this is the case replace them with exactly the same type of fuse and your amp will be fixed.

If the fuses are not blown you have a good chance that the transformer is busted. To check this unplug the power cord and detach the internal power transformer from the circuit boards (either by unscrewing, unplugging or desoldering them). Mark the cables so you can put them back in the right spot afterwards. Now plug the power back in and measure the output of the transformer by putting a volt / amp meter on the output wires. If it doesn't give out any current it is broken and you can probably replace it by a similar transformer. Your local electronics shop can supply you with a compatible model. It won't cost much. If it doesn't fit in just leave it outside of the amp, drill a hole in the case and lead the cables in.

If the transformer works there is another problem, which can be basically anything, so in that case it's best to hand over the amp to a qualified repair shop.

PS Take some care not to touch bare wires when it is plugged in. Getting an electrical shock from the 220V AC current is not lethal (which many people seem to believe), but it is not exactly a lot of fun either.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
15-02-2006 15:35 Homepage of thechronic
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
But what we forgot was that we put the covers from the tt's on top of the amp, becuase while setting up we didnt find another place to put em, and forgot about them..My Mistake

Friscko, mate,
I guess you're just "loemp".

__

15-02-2006 15:47 Homepage of Rude
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
If the amp is really completely dead (so no power lights coming on etc) you have a very good chance that the internal fuses are blown. Locate a screwdriver, open it up and check the fuses. If they are blown replace them with exactly the same type.

I had a good look at it today, and noticed the wire the fuse (if a fuse is a glass tube with a wire in it?) inside had a knick in it.
I just cant find the appropriate screwdriver to get the cap off Roll Eyes

__

15-02-2006 15:47 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
If a fuse is a glass tube with a wire in it?

Indeed it is, it could also be a similar tube, but white. If it is just knicked it might still be ok. Check with a multimeter (ohmmeter or beeper) if you have one. If it has a low resistance (somewhere under 10 ohm) it is ok, if it has high resistance (MegaOhms or nothing at all), it's busted.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
15-02-2006 16:04 Homepage of djfreemc
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

damn, it's not the fuse Frown

__

15-02-2006 20:02 Homepage of Friscko
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

if there is power but no sound tht could mean uve blown the speaker chanels and not the amp

i think this is fixible jus take it to a shop m8
13-03-2006 15:57
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

took me 8 months to break the other one:
quote:
o I'm using another one we had lyin around here, collecting dust, but it seems like this one is a piece of utter crap.
when i'm mixing sometimes (or actually just all the time) the sound just falls away and then comes back distorted, to fall away again, come back normal, fall away again a few times come back distorted....
It's got 2*125W speakers and 2*65W speakers on it, and even when playing only the 65w's on a very low volume (that low you can also hear the needle's noise) I get that very frustrating thing...
And this time it's not covered at all, there's nothing above, under or next to it...

turned it on today, wanted to play some tunes, but the sound was really distorted badly. turned it off and back on, and now all that comes out is crackle's and pops (which only come on the bass)..

i've delayed it long enough, i'm gonna bring that sony i've blow to the shop, see if it still can be repaired

__

05-07-2006 21:41 Homepage of Friscko
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

harsh mate - good move tho Big Grin

__
My Sounds
06-07-2006 22:50
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

just went to get it back...

the man from the shop says it's unrepairable, because the transformer is broken, which, he says costs 250€ to get a new one..and he add that it could be other stuff is also broken

quote:
If the fuses are not blown you have a good chance that the transformer is busted. To check this unplug the power cord and detach the internal power transformer from the circuit boards (either by unscrewing, unplugging or desoldering them). Mark the cables so you can put them back in the right spot afterwards. Now plug the power back in and measure the output of the transformer by putting a volt / amp meter on the output wires. If it doesn't give out any current it is broken and you can probably replace it by a similar transformer. Your local electronics shop can supply you with a compatible model. It won't cost much. If it doesn't fit in just leave it outside of the amp, drill a hole in the case and lead the cables in.

guess i'll be going to do this to get it working again

__

02-08-2006 14:23 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

€250 for a transformer? Shocked Shocked Shocked That's a ridiculous price for some copper wires and an iron core, even if it is one of those special toroid transformers. Have you asked him if he didn't miss by a 0? Anyway, good luck with it.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
05-08-2006 20:12 Homepage of djfreemc
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

I've been to several shops, asking if they had the transformer for my amp and every time i got the same answer "for sony the only replacement is a sony part"

there's some numbers on the transformer but i cant really find something on google about em..maybe someone can help me out?

1-423-828-11

7 3K3 TK (dunno if these belong together, there's quite a big space between em)

__

12-08-2006 14:34 Homepage of Friscko
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

you just need to get a transformer with the same specs (voltage)

it doesn't necessarily have to be an amplifier transformer, the thing only changes voltage which goes into your amp

could be wrong though

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
12-08-2006 16:23 Homepage of cynik
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

thats what i tought too, but i can find the specs from the tranformer, the only thing that's on it are those numbers...

__

12-08-2006 16:51 Homepage of Friscko
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » I have blown my amp