drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bass Not Loud Enuff
Go to the bottom of this page Bass Not Loud Enuff
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 07-11-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

Hello my name is ricky & i was in the studio trying to make a dnb tune

I was useing reason, and my drums sound kool its just when i was playing the bass on my keyboard, I could no here much bass i had to boost it on the maximizer and then all of sudden it went on reds and the whole tune was just distored and sound horrible, and then i turned the bass down, And then it was just the same as before i could not here much, The drums were loud and sharp, What must i do to stop this from hapning
07-11-2005 21:42 Homepage of DholiX
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Ok, firstly, you cannot have OVERLY loud drums in your tune. Because you made your drums overly loud, when you put the bass, they summed up and killed the headroom of the tune.

More about a similar subject read here: How do you make tracks sound more full??? and What Happened To Dynamic Range?

Anyway, headroom is defined as the audible space which is left to the up mark ( 0 decibels, or when the sounds reach the red coloured bar, as you describe it). That is the TOP LOUDNESS you can achieve in your tune. Digital processors usualy have headroom from -90 dB to 0dB (yes, negative numbers which represent the audible space left).

When you add too much sounds which all fight for their space in the headroom, they eat up the headroom. If you have TOO MUCH sounds, they reach the 0dB mark, and because digital processors try to make your sounds audible, and the can't, they distort the whole sound. They make the bass non-recognisable because of the distortion.

This is one of the most common problems in producing, and can be solved on two ways:

1. The first one (which I recommend) is you lower the loudness of all elements untill they fit together nicely into the headroom (their summed top value doesn't pass -6dB to -3dB marks). For your case I recommend you to lower the loudness of the drums and don't overemphasize your bass. Make them fit nice together, and be audible together. Use your ears - they are the most precise headroom judge.

2. The second one uses the first one completely plus adds a compressor. Do the same of the first option, then add a compressor on both the tracks (the drums track and the bass). Make it with:

Attack: 30ms
Release: 30-40ms (pick a value)
Ratio: 3
Threshold: -3dB to -6dB (pick a avalue)

That will nicely put some emphasize on the drum hits and compress the bass with the drums later on.

More about compressors here:
What Happened To Dynamic Range?
or in our Tutorials / Knowledge base thread (read all production related informations here!)

In any case, read more about mastering/FX/compression.
Hope that helped Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
07-11-2005 23:17 Homepage of Muad'Dib
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

Prrr No offence Muadib,..i find my bass is allway's to dam loud... Frown

__
Space

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 08-11-2005 12:44.

08-11-2005 06:57
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

EQ, EQ & EQ

and as said before, keep in mind the total loudness when mixing.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
08-11-2005 15:55 Homepage of djfreemc
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by equipped

That is uncommon...I always have issues with quiet bass.. Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-11-2005 19:51 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by equipped

That is uncommon...I always have issues with quiet bass.. Big Grin

this is my problem also ...

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
09-11-2005 20:55 Homepage of Arkitekt
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

turn all the levles down to zero, then set the bass so it's loud, adn the light meter, only shows it going up to about 3/4 till it goes red (peaks).

THEN and only then, set the rest of the sounds, start with the kick, and work ya way through. if it's not loud enough turn up yuor speakers, untill your happy.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-11-2005 07:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

turn all the levles down to zero, then set the bass so it's loud, adn the light meter, only shows it going up to about 3/4 till it goes red (peaks).

THEN and only then, set the rest of the sounds, start with the kick, and work ya way through. if it's not loud enough turn up yuor speakers, untill your happy. just if the bass clips, it sounds worse than any other sound, because bass have longer waves, and that means more of you sound is clipped off, as opposed to shorter waves that clip for a fraction fo a the time.

but basicly, you just hav eto trun it all down, because your ears are use to it being that loud, and it sounds funnny if you change it.

like i have said somewhere else, try setting the speaker volume to a good level, with music you want to emulate, that's pro. and commercial.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 11-11-2005 07:23.

11-11-2005 07:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

The Prrr wasn't directed at your post Muadib,..just noticed it was still there,..i love that smiley,..but yeah i do seem to have the promblem with my overall bass bein way to loud,..learnin to trust my ear's though,..i think this is the one of the best methods to try and master..cheers.. Prrr

__
Space
11-11-2005 12:15
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bass Not Loud Enuff