drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How To Make Melodies Like L.T.J Bukem
Go to the bottom of this page How To Make Melodies Like L.T.J Bukem
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 07-11-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

Can you please give me a step guide on how to make melodies like L.T.J Bukem does, Because he is a massive inspiration to me and i would do anything to make music like him. Thanks Ricky
07-11-2005 05:19 Homepage of DholiX
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I don't really know his music, but when I want to do a track like this or that, I studie the sounds, structure and feel of the melodies a lot and search for things that have the same feeling while being different. That way you can keep your own style instead of copying someone else.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-11-2005 08:01 Homepage of Surya
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

You should try experimenting with modal progressions. They always give a tune the type of vibe your trying to acheive as theyre all very suited to different emotions. Its knda difficult to explain but Ill try anyway. A normal major scale has this structure: (T=tone, S=semitone)
T-T-S-T-T-T-S, thes are the size of the intervals between each note, so for example a C major scale is C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. The jump from C to D is a tone, the jump from D to E is a tone, the jump from E to F is a semi tone etc. Using this idea it is easy to work out the major scale for any key. This can also be used to work out modes easily. While still playing the same notes, this time try starting from F, so you get F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F, also hold down a low F to give you a proper sense of tonality. This is the Lydian mode which has a slightly dreamy sound to it.
The structure will be, T-T-T-S-T-T-S. This will work for any note in the scale. If you start and finish on D you'll get a Dorian mode, If you start and finish on E you'll get a Phrygian mode which has a slightly spanish sound. If you start on G you'll get a Mixolydian mode which has a jazzy sound. If you start on A you'll get an Aoelian mode which has a very minor sound. And if you start on B you'll get a Locrian mode, which has a very disonant sound. You can also determine which scales are major and which are minor. If you play a simple triad on each note, still only using the notes from c-major, you'll get the following chords: Cmajor, Dminor, Eminor, Fmajor, Gmajor, A minor, Bdiminished. The same goes for every major scale the sequence is always: Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Diminished. (A diminished chord is a minor triad but with the fifth flatened) so the corresponding scale for each chord will be the same tonality eg. the phrygian mode starting on E will have a minor sound since the chord is minor, and the locrian mode starting on B will have a diminished sound since the chord is diminished.
Anyway, this kinda theory is very useful for working out melodies to fit a particular mood that your aiming for, just experiment with them and you'll soon get a feeling for how they sound. There are many other Modes but its best to get to grips with these first. I hope this is helpful, Im sure you can appreciate that this stuff is hard to explain so Im sorry if its a bit confusing.
07-11-2005 12:49
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by DholiX
Can you please give me a step guide on how to make melodies like L.T.J Bukem does, Because he is a massive inspiration to me and i would do anything to make music like him. Thanks Ricky

why not just make some stuff on your own..experiment...now you can use techs lil guidline but then you have the sounds you ahave o use and what not as well... just be original... who cares what it sounds like

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

07-11-2005 13:57
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I find there is much to be learned from trying to make someone else's style. Don't make it a habbit though Wink

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-11-2005 13:58 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by DholiX

I've heard LTJ a couple of times and his live shows can be quite amazing. not too moving or explosive but musicality on full scale. that said it's on the jazz side, so his influences might well be the jazz "golden" era.. herbie hanckock that type. too bad he didnt draw from the drumming as his beats are always a tad dull and unimaginative..

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
07-11-2005 14:34 Homepage of cynik
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Definately. If you havent, listen to Squarepushers album "Hard Normal Daddy" as there are some really cool jazzy drums on there, in particular check out "Coopers world". Its got to be one of my favouritre tracks of his. Why doesnt he do this stuff anymore?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TechDiff: 07-11-2005 15:30.

07-11-2005 15:29
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How To Make Melodies Like L.T.J Bukem