drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Splitting dnb substyles
Poll: Do we need styles to go with the demos
We don't need no stinkin styles, people should review tracks regardles of the style 12 85.71%
Yes, we need to know what style the track we're downloading is 2 14.29%
Total: 14 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Splitting dnb substyles
Author
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-1701.jpg

Registration Date: 04-11-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

What about classifying the DNB genres?

It would be more fair situation for the producers to be much more motivated to work, by classifying their tracks in the DNB genres, then in each DNB genre to be announced a track for a week or month or whatever.

Thanks

__
OgO has been banned from the site. Read this thread for the reasons.
04-11-2005 22:59
dYzeaZe dYzeaZe is a male
Blighted Mind

images/avatars/avatar-1694.gif

Registration Date: 25-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

I don't think that it would be very effective, because dif people like dif styles, some sections won't get as much views as others.

__
Right now I'm in the process of making up a good sig.
04-11-2005 23:15
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Some people might just skip some of the best tunes on here coz they think they're not gonna like it coz of the style.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

05-11-2005 09:50 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yeah, that sux, though I luv the idea... Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-11-2005 10:49 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Hidden identity Hidden identity is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 17-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.21

remember that reviews are based on the thoughts and opinions of a specific group of artists or art fans at this web site.

the true value of a musical work is as complex as measuring your personal values system and creeds of morality or priorities in life.

what is it realy about? insightng powerful and pleasureable emotions?
detale that requires alot of musical ability and experiance to create?

id say most feedback about music is very general.

human rights are basicly un-biast or should be,
and art is often a symbolic expression of a natural structure or fasit of your being. so maybe judgement of the arts would be best with a bit of un-biast attitude to. Bigup

how effective the track of the month thing would be as a sub-genre specific, would depend (i think) on the variety of apreshiation and prefernce or differenciation of prefernace within the collective and most active forum members.

besides the point of genre specific, i think that:
more presise and accurate would be a mood specific track of the month.

example:
best relaxing song,
best exiteing or kickass song,
best sad song,
best abstract and experimental song.

because i dont think genre preferance is as partial or presise as mood preferance.
but its up to yous Big Grin
experimentation is a sure fire way to learn.
thechronic (if he had the time to spare) would then be able to change the song of the month system if he so desired, and observe the results.
right?
or does Surya control the song of the month stuff now?

__
I'm trying to unfuck my sig.
05-11-2005 22:42
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Hidden identity

Yes, he does, but he asks for thechronic's opinion if he's not sure. He also tries to judge on production quality, not on personal taste. Otherwise you'd only see smashing hard tracks nominated Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

06-11-2005 11:21 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

Yes, he does, but he asks for thechronic's opinion if he's not sure. He also tries to judge on production quality, not on personal taste. Otherwise you'd only see smashing hard tracks nominated Big Grin

Hahah...
anyway, I agree with Hidden Identity for his suggestion: i think mood classes would be a real hit! Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-11-2005 15:09 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
example:
best relaxing song,
best exiteing or kickass song,
best sad song,
best abstract and experimental song.

Well, in the new rating system we'll have something like that, but not quite the same. There'll be scores for dancefloor suitedness (hmmm, what a term) and originality and maybe some more.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-11-2005 07:55 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Well, in the new rating system we'll have something like that, but not quite the same. There'll be scores for dancefloor suitedness (hmmm, what a term) and originality and maybe some more.

swell

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
07-11-2005 10:12 Homepage of cynik
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

that new rating systems sounds awesome.
when will it be in use ?
04-01-2006 12:32
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

as i dont like hard- or darkstyle dnb i dont really can take a closer look to those tunes and give comments about the arrangement, nor can i listen to the whole thing.

so it would be very nice if i could see what im downloading in the first place. maybe you could add a routine to your track upload script, where the user has to select a dnb style. then put the style in front of the subject of every thread.

sry my english isnt that good so i hope you know what i mean ^^
some styles are

im thinking like some syntax like [ Style ][ Artist - Trackname ]

eg [ Hardstep ][ Greyone - TNT ]

some styles which come in mind are

Drum'n'Bass
Jungle
Neuro-Funk
Liquid-Funk
Jump up
Choppage
Ambient
Intelligent
Hardstep
Jazzstep
Techstep
Old-school
Clownstep

__
MySpace
09-01-2006 15:49 Homepage of Rudeone
Peel Peel is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-1344.jpg

Registration Date: 20-07-2005

nah classification sucks

you can't put everything in little boxes with little tags on it saying this is that

exception is the rule

__

Peeled November 2006 Mix
09-01-2006 16:26 Homepage of Peel
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I strongly dissagree too.. the idea of reviewing is not inteded for your enjoyment.. it's education man... if you enjoy a track you can say it as well, BUT if you downloaded it and don't enjoy it then wtf.. write a review.. dont comment on style but take notice of the quality of PRODUCTION... how well is it, does it have decent or shit soundquality and why.. things like that.

the other thing as widely discussed before is the fact sub-classing will eventually destroy DnB.. the scene is already divided, a techstep head rarely enjoys wobbly jump-up (and with a good reason!) but you will never know if you like something unless you try..

I'm against the idea

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 09-01-2006 16:29.

09-01-2006 16:29 Homepage of cynik
Rudeone
love & light

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Peel
nah classification sucks

you can't put everything in little boxes with little tags on it saying this is that

exception is the rule

well then you can post it as drum'n'bass

quote:
Originally posted by Peel
I strongly dissagree too.. the idea of reviewing is not inteded for your enjoyment.. it's education man... if you enjoy a track you can say it as well, BUT if you downloaded it and don't enjoy it then wtf.. write a review.. dont comment on style but take notice of the quality of PRODUCTION... how well is it, does it have decent or shit soundquality and why.. things like that.

im not reviewing for education only. i want enjoyment and education together if possible. i think everyone can decide for his own if he wants to review this or that style.

i dont really know what the problem is. you dont want to show the style of the tune because some dont want to review styles like that? im sorry but im tierd of those amen choppage tracks and i definently dont wanna listen to 'em nor review 'em.

i dont really see your point

__
MySpace
09-01-2006 17:07 Homepage of Rudeone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I dont want to follow no style as I see 'em as barriers

each and every sound began by experimentation, remember?

__
09-01-2006 18:30 Homepage of cynik
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

To be perfectly honest I dont see the point in splitting up styles. Its something that people get so fucking Anal about which is ultimately pointless. I think most of the producers on this site I know what kinda style they do, and I know what to expect when I hear the tracks. Its a nice suprise when they try something different. But its worth listening to everybodys work because there is always something that you can use as inspiration for your own. Its also good because you can offer a different view point to what a fan of that genre might offer. Its still a valid opinion regardless, and quite likely one that the artist wont have considered.

@ rudeone. Its not that you dont see Peels point, just that your missing it completely. If everyone was trawling through the tunes page going, "oh I dont like that style, and I dont like that style either." then tracks would be getting even fewer reviews than they already are (which is a pitiful amount, on that I think we all can agree) Posting tracks as different sub genres would help absolutely no-one. Im not a massive fan of the feel good, happy DnB that a lot of people post. But it doesnt mean that Im not going to listen to it or review it. Just that when I do review it I'll say "Its not really my style" or words to that affect. But every track Ive heard on here, regardless of the style of experiance of the artist, has had something which I like. I think to go around with closed ears to half the stuff on here is really only going to be detremental to yourself. If you choose to cut out half the music in the world. Wouldnt you start to get the feeling that your missing out on the good stuff? I knew one guy who didnt listen to any music at all if he could avoid it. He didnt want to be influenced at all so that his music was completely original, guess what. His music was boring, un origional, un-inspired, and pretty fucking crap to be honest.
Influences from all over the place is what makes a lot of artists stand out. To cut yourself of from that isnt gonna do you any favours. Instaed of listening to a track and going "I dont like this, I dont like that" etc. Wht not listen to all the bits you do like? I think it help in the long run.
09-01-2006 19:08
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I added a poll to this subject, please vote on the matter.
The outcome, whatever it may be, will not determine anything.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-01-2006 19:15 Homepage of Surya
Peel Peel is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-1344.jpg

Registration Date: 20-07-2005

let the poster just describe his own tune's atmosphere and influence in a few words and that's it

the reviewers just like it or not, they review it or they don't

no need for people labeling things at all cost

__

Peeled November 2006 Mix
09-01-2006 19:25 Homepage of Peel
Rudeone
love & light

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
you can offer a different view point to what a fan of that genre might offer. Its still a valid opinion regardless, and quite likely one that the artist wont have considered.

sure but i didnt say i wont review other styles. its just sometimes im not in the mood for hard stuff and just want to review/listen to slow dnb. tomorrow it might be different.

quote:
@ rudeone. Its not that you dont see Peels point, just that your missing it completely. If everyone was trawling through the tunes page going, "oh I dont like that style, and I dont like that style either." then tracks would be getting even fewer reviews than they already are (which is a pitiful amount, on that I think we all can agree)

that aint true. i would give the same amount of reviews just to other people.

quote:
Posting tracks as different sub genres would help absolutely no-one.

the point is, i want to review, but i want to decide which style i want to review. so it would be helpfull for me

quote:
Im not a massive fan of the feel good, happy DnB that a lot of people post. But it doesnt mean that Im not going to listen to it or review it. Just that when I do review it I'll say "Its not really my style" or words to that affect. But every track Ive heard on here, regardless of the style of experiance of the artist, has had something which I like. I think to go around with closed ears to half the stuff on here is really only going to be detremental to yourself. If you choose to cut out half the music in the world. Wouldnt you start to get the feeling that your missing out on the good stuff? I knew one guy who didnt listen to any music at all if he could avoid it. He didnt want to be influenced at all so that his music was completely original, guess what. His music was boring, un origional, un-inspired, and pretty fucking crap to be honest.
Influences from all over the place is what makes a lot of artists stand out. To cut yourself of from that isnt gonna do you any favours. Instaed of listening to a track and going "I dont like this, I dont like that" etc. Wht not listen to all the bits you do like? I think it help in the long run.

who said i wouldnt listen to other styles???

__
MySpace
10-01-2006 12:04 Homepage of Rudeone
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:
Originally posted by rudeone
im tierd of those amen choppage tracks and i definently dont wanna listen to 'em nor review 'em.

10-01-2006 14:10
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Splitting dnb substyles