drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Using cracked software
Go to the bottom of this page Using cracked software
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Honestly, I think software is changing too fast to spend something like 500€ on it. For things like FLstudio, where you get lifetime free upgrades, I would consider it. For things where I know I have to spend 300€ for an update every year or every 2 years, I think that's simply unaffordable for a hobby musician. Same goes for other (non-music) software.

On the bad cracks part: I think it is a consideration you have to make. Do you really want this software, or want to try it. Are you willing to spend whatever it costs on it, or are you willing to take the possibillity of a few bugs and not having to pay. If you have decent security software, it will most probably stop things like keyloggers if someone put them in the software.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 21-10-2005 11:20.

21-10-2005 11:18 Homepage of djfreemc
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by rudeone
like h2o says: try before buy and dont make money using warez software

its a good guideline i think

It is a good guidline but.... we kid ourselves into thinking we will actually buy it if its good & we like it, but the reality is that we never buy it coz its sitting right there in front of us for free...
21-10-2005 13:30
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
It is a good guidline but.... we kid ourselves into thinking we will actually buy it if its good & we like it, but the reality is that we never buy it coz its sitting right there in front of us for free...

that's not bat ata all if you look at the whole matter from a different point of view

you all know a common saying "there is a slim chance that an individual gets criminally prosecuted for owning pirated software"

I would like to rephrase that into: "there is absoultely NO chance that an individual gets criminally prosecuted for owning pirated software"

why? it's in the software companies INTEREST that you use pirated. it's their best way of advertising. you learn to use it for free, then at some point you encourage enough to open a firm. but then you already got used to that software that you actualy have to buy it, and for the multitude of computers in there. see, the same goes for individuals who start to make money using pirated. stuff gets complicated, you need it being stable, not crash etc. in order to work effectively. once again licenced software steps into view since it's the only way to get tech support, updates, etc..

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
21-10-2005 16:20 Homepage of cynik
border border is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1241.gif

Registration Date: 20-05-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Daemon79
quote:
Originally posted by border
If the program hangs or is less stable when it is cracked, then it is not cracked good imo
But it is idd not very possible to check if a crack does it's job good or not...

And btw it is a bit scary to see that I created a topic like that, since I'm currently moving to open source software, even for music composition and production...
check http://www.agnula.org for that
And since I'm a programmer too it's kind of my goal to write all programs that I need and that aren't there yet (for linux mostly then), and probably open source too

cool, which software will you use on linux (ardour, hydrogyn, rosegarden???) What language will you write your software in (C++,Java?).

I'm writing software in C++ at the time, but maybe in the future I'll try to get back to LISP (since that's the first I programmed in, and it's a lot more logical).
But I think it'll be like this once: programs in c++, composition in LISP

And as far as I already used deMuDi, I mostly use PD, and I fiddled around with Hydrogen, and the alsa modular synth.
But the problem is I don't get my Echo Mia card to work (although it should be working), and my Edirol Usb hasn't got any drivers (yet, I hope).
So the recording and playing back and using Ardour will be when one of these works lol

I'm just at the beginning of migrating, and seen the progress I make, it'll still take a long time I guess, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run Big Grin
22-10-2005 12:00
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
[i]
[list]
[*]First of all, do you really trust the guy who cracked the program? Are you sure he didn't put in any backdoors in it allowing him access to your system? Keyloggers maybe? Password stealers? Email harvesters or even automated spam mailers?

just crack it yourself

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
22-10-2005 15:02 Homepage of baz
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

quote:
Originally posted by baz
quote:
[i]
[list]
[*]First of all, do you really trust the guy who cracked the program? Are you sure he didn't put in any backdoors in it allowing him access to your system? Keyloggers maybe? Password stealers? Email harvesters or even automated spam mailers?

just crack it yourself

like to see you crack cubase! theres some hardcore protection there... id rather spend my time making beats Cool

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
22-10-2005 15:37 Homepage of wreakon
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I agree that in your case most software is very expensive to buy, but still that should not be an excuse to use cracked programs Tongue
There is some good freeware available too, and something like FLStudio is in your reach.

Big Grin You can get software here for like 1,5 euros on a CDR ROFL

Tempting, ain't it?

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-10-2005 16:48 Homepage of Muad'Dib
dYzeaZe dYzeaZe is a male
Blighted Mind

images/avatars/avatar-1694.gif

Registration Date: 25-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:

First of all, do you really trust the guy who cracked the program? Are you sure he didn't put in any backdoors in it allowing him access to your system? Keyloggers maybe? Password stealers? Email harvesters or even automated spam mailers?

I think I have a good point here: isn't that what's ANTIVIRUS software is made for? +all kinds of protective stuff for your pc

__
Right now I'm in the process of making up a good sig.
22-10-2005 17:16
evol genius

Helpfulness rating: 

um.. i doubt it

anti virus software generally only picks up known viruses.. if they just added some of thier own code they can do what they like

but your firewall should pick up any program trying to access the internet

ive never noticed any malicious code in cracked programs.. that i know of... but its definitely possible!

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

mylamespace
22-10-2005 17:40 Homepage of wreakon
dYzeaZe dYzeaZe is a male
Blighted Mind

images/avatars/avatar-1694.gif

Registration Date: 25-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

I personally think that people who have fucked around long enough whilst cracking
the software won't be interested in spending *some* more time trying to insert a
polymorph into their own product Smile and they got several reasons for keeping their
releases virusless.

__
Right now I'm in the process of making up a good sig.
23-10-2005 09:20
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by reckon
um.. i doubt it

anti virus software generally only picks up known viruses.. if they just added some of thier own code they can do what they like

but your firewall should pick up any program trying to access the internet

ive never noticed any malicious code in cracked programs.. that i know of... but its definitely possible!

There are programs that can track keylogers/etc... ZoneAlarm ,for example. In its PRO version it tracks programs and asks you whether you let the program track your keys or access the internet...

Try it... phr34k3d also Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-10-2005 21:12 Homepage of Muad'Dib
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
No it is quite common that cracked programs are less stable than original versions. Smart programmers hide little checks and dependencies throughout the entire program instead of just in the authorisation section. If the program is cracked often some of these are missed and the program starts behaving erratically.

I cannot recommend anyone to use cracked programs these days. Apart from the fact that you are robbing the people that made your favorite programs you are putting yourself and your computer and data at a great risk.

tbh, I'm not to bothered who uses cracked software because it doesn't effect me.

In my opinion, the people who use cracked software aren't robbing the people who made the applications because the "pirates" wouldn't of brought the software any way, hence getting a crack for the software to use it for free. It's all propaganda, kinda like the ol' "if you buy drugs you are funding terroisim" act.
23-10-2005 21:54
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
I'm writing software in C++ at the time, but maybe in the future I'll try to get back to LISP (since that's the first I programmed in, and it's a lot more logical).
But I think it'll be like this once: programs in c++, composition in LISP

And as far as I already used deMuDi, I mostly use PD, and I fiddled around with Hydrogen, and the alsa modular synth.
But the problem is I don't get my Echo Mia card to work (although it should be working), and my Edirol Usb hasn't got any drivers (yet, I hope).
So the recording and playing back and using Ardour will be when one of these works lol

I'm just at the beginning of migrating, and seen the progress I make, it'll still take a long time I guess, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run Big Grin

Did a vsti in c++ som time ago, didn't know very much of c++ at the time so a created an huge memory leak inside it and I'm still to lazy to bug it out. Did a Java program for Physical modelling synthesis but this was more for learning Java (and Java3d, jsyn and Runge-Kutta 4) it's a hell to tune it and the GUI is very unfriendly but you can get some weird squeeks out of it.

haven't tried deMudi or PD yet. Is it any good? What's the problem with your Echo Mia? I had some trouble myself installing ALSA but afterwards everything seemed working more or less well. You'll need JACK as well if you wan't Ardour to work.

I'm quite new to the Linux environment also + I'm more a hardware than a software guy so my road might actually be longer then yours then.
25-10-2005 02:55
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
did you pay for it?? how about fruity loops??...........dont answer that but if either are cracks it might be why.......

i paid for my version of absynth 2 and i run it with cubase sx 2, i got no issues.......

lol

I heard that comment a lot when people have cracked software running
But I don't see why cracking a program would make it less stable.
The crack interferes only when the program is looking for some kind of registration code or serial number... It does not interfere when you are just running the program (unless maybe at startup, to check for registration that I don't know)...

But I think that's some kind of new urban legend which needs to be rectified (= rechtgezet?)

greetz

edit by thechronic: this has been split off the following thread:
Absynth 2: problem with hanging or skipped notes

got logic 5. no plug-ins. no effects, no fucking nothing. the downloading and such, allows for the files to get corrupted. like photcoping a photocopy. it loses integrity.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 01-11-2005 07:39.

01-11-2005 07:38 Homepage of Halph-Price
evol genius

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
did you pay for it?? how about fruity loops??...........dont answer that but if either are cracks it might be why.......

i paid for my version of absynth 2 and i run it with cubase sx 2, i got no issues.......

lol

I heard that comment a lot when people have cracked software running
But I don't see why cracking a program would make it less stable.
The crack interferes only when the program is looking for some kind of registration code or serial number... It does not interfere when you are just running the program (unless maybe at startup, to check for registration that I don't know)...

But I think that's some kind of new urban legend which needs to be rectified (= rechtgezet?)

greetz

edit by thechronic: this has been split off the following thread:
Absynth 2: problem with hanging or skipped notes

got logic 5. no plug-ins. no effects, no fucking nothing. the downloading and such, allows for the files to get corrupted. like photcoping a photocopy. it loses integrity.

what?? are you serious! Are you copying files by analogue tape or summin Tongue

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

mylamespace
01-11-2005 15:12 Homepage of wreakon
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
the downloading and such, allows for the files to get corrupted. like photcoping a photocopy. it loses integrity.

:ROFL:

I must say youre the funniest urban myth supplier ever

__
01-11-2005 15:35 Homepage of cynik
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

It is no urban myth at all. It just goes much slower. If you copy an old audio tape 10 times (copy of a copy of a copy.... X10) you will hear a lot of difference. If you do the same thing with a cd, you will also hear, only you have to copy it a over a hundred times before the extensive error correction on a cd starts to fail.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
01-11-2005 16:12 Homepage of djfreemc
evol genius

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
It is no urban myth at all. It just goes much slower. If you copy an old audio tape 10 times (copy of a copy of a copy.... X10) you will hear a lot of difference. If you do the same thing with a cd, you will also hear, only you have to copy it a over a hundred times before the extensive error correction on a cd starts to fail.

no way man! its digital if you copy it with out errors then you copy it without errors. no ifs no buts

when you copy a file there is built in error checking.. like CRC. These are like 99% percent accurate so if there a error they usualy find it..

Theres no error correction just checking and if its wrong then you just copy that bit again

your kinda right though if you copy a cd a hundred times you bound to get errors in a few.... but it would depend on how bad youre hardware is and stuff... sorry for the geekage Smile

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

mylamespace
01-11-2005 16:20 Homepage of wreakon
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

Im with reckon here. how do you mean error correction? were talking something else here, look up the name of the topic. like reckon said CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) prevents it from corruption, every setup program has it as do the archives in which they are stored... a cd won't ever get copied entirely even if it has one tiny 0.1kb CRC error

advantages to knowing a programmer Tongue

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 01-11-2005 16:28.

01-11-2005 16:25 Homepage of cynik
evol genius

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
a cd won't ever get copied entirely even if it has one tiny 0.1kb CRC error

sure it will.. imagine it was program code. if one bit is wrong it probably wont run... if that was true CDs would be useless

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

mylamespace
01-11-2005 16:36 Homepage of wreakon
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Using cracked software