drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Using cracked software
Go to the bottom of this page Using cracked software
Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1241.gif

Registration Date: 20-05-2004

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
did you pay for it?? how about fruity loops??...........dont answer that but if either are cracks it might be why.......

i paid for my version of absynth 2 and i run it with cubase sx 2, i got no issues.......

lol

I heard that comment a lot when people have cracked software running
But I don't see why cracking a program would make it less stable.
The crack interferes only when the program is looking for some kind of registration code or serial number... It does not interfere when you are just running the program (unless maybe at startup, to check for registration that I don't know)...

But I think that's some kind of new urban legend which needs to be rectified (= rechtgezet?)

greetz

edit by thechronic: this has been split off the following thread:
Absynth 2: problem with hanging or skipped notes
19-10-2005 21:09
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

No it is quite common that cracked programs are less stable than original versions. Smart programmers hide little checks and dependencies throughout the entire program instead of just in the authorisation section. If the program is cracked often some of these are missed and the program starts behaving erratically.

I cannot recommend anyone to use cracked programs these days. Apart from the fact that you are robbing the people that made your favorite programs you are putting yourself and your computer and data at a great risk.

The risks of using a cracked program:
  • First of all, do you really trust the guy who cracked the program? Are you sure he didn't put in any backdoors in it allowing him access to your system? Keyloggers maybe? Password stealers? Email harvesters or even automated spam mailers?
  • Are you sure the cracker did such a thorough job that he really removed all code that could identify you to the software company as being a user of a cracked version?
  • Do you know for sure the cracker has verified his own code to such a degree that you are certain your computer will not crash or you won't get data loss? Did he test all different versions of operating systems and languages?
  • You're facing huge fines if the authorities would find cracked software on your system. This is a very slim chance if you are a student or an employee, but a very great risk if you run a company. The authorities in most western countries have been enormeously increasing their fundings and efforts in this area the last couple of years.

The benefits of buying software:
  • You are actively supporting the people who make your favourite pieces of software. They really need your cash!
  • You know the software has been extensively tested and is safe to use.
  • You get free updates and bug fixes when they are released.
  • You can register in the private forum of the software company and get loads of support there.
  • You can phone them up or mail them if you have a problem with the software and they'll find a solution for you.
  • You'll often get a manual and some extra goodies.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-10-2005 11:55 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

can't be too paranoid eh? Big Grin

there must be people that use cracked software and then try to register over the internet typing their real life informations in the required fields. it's easy to catch those, that's like digging your own grave, ultra-stupid!

anyway most of the time, these checkups you speak about are bypassed by inserting or removing code. I'm not a programmer but I know that much

BUT

more often those checks aren't even inserted, so it's a simple matter of a serial number.. so the code isn't modified a single bit

_edit: BTW I fully support the idea of buying software!

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 20-10-2005 12:35.

20-10-2005 12:33 Homepage of cynik
border border is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1241.gif

Registration Date: 20-05-2004

If the program hangs or is less stable when it is cracked, then it is not cracked good imo
But it is idd not very possible to check if a crack does it's job good or not...

And btw it is a bit scary to see that I created a topic like that, since I'm currently moving to open source software, even for music composition and production...
check http://www.agnula.org for that
And since I'm a programmer too it's kind of my goal to write all programs that I need and that aren't there yet (for linux mostly then), and probably open source too
20-10-2005 13:12
@1$-)
unregistered
oooh what did i start?? anyway the crack debate will run for yrs....personally the only thing that bugs me is why should i shell out 600£ etc for something when ive only been able to use a demo of it that has most of the features disabled?? you wouldnt buy a car if you werent allowed to see if the wheels turned properly would you? why should i buy something if i dont 100% know that when i export the audio its going to be at a quality thats usable to me........i dont condone the use of cracks but i do want to know my hard earned cash is not being thrown away....ok say i buy without trying it first and it doesnt do what i want, there arent many shops which will take back an opened software package......
20-10-2005 14:22
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Dont get me wrong on this. Ill admit I do have a couple of dodgy pieces of software, but most of it Ive bought. However I do resent having to spend £500-600 on software simply because of pirating issues.
People are using cracked software because of the huge prices, and prices get bigger because people use cracks. Its a vicious circle. In my opinion the only resolution will be found, not with the users but the programmers. Perhaps if they took the prices down to a more reasonable and affordable price, then people would be more inclined to spend a significantly smaller price for the support a piece of registered software affords.I dont think there really is such a thing as a bad crack. As someone stated earlier, all a crack does is either bypass the registration process or contain a key generator which does away with challenge and response. The only difference is the support offered after purchase. Id love to have nothing but registered software but in reallity the is no possible way I could afford to use it (or have time to use it if Im working enough to save up such huge ammounts of money)
At the moment, in order to releive my concience, Ive been using a lot of freeware plugins, which really arent that bad. I recomend Smartelectronix.com because I found quite a few cool things there.
Ive also bought a few bits of software second hand and I dont mind not having all the latest bits and bobs. Still, if only the prices were lower than perhaps the pirate issue wouldnt be so much of a worry.

I recomend using a different computer for music that ISNT connected to the net. Its not just cracked software that opens you up to keyloggers etc.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TechDiff: 20-10-2005 15:31.

20-10-2005 15:26
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

like h2o says: try before buy and dont make money using warez software

its a good guideline i think

__
MySpace
20-10-2005 15:35 Homepage of Rudeone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
No it is quite common that cracked programs are less stable than original versions. Smart programmers hide little checks and dependencies throughout the entire program instead of just in the authorisation section. If the program is cracked often some of these are missed and the program starts behaving erratically.

And what about if your monthly wage is 150 euros, your bills take 100 euros, you spend 40 euros on food, and one sequencer is 50 euros?

As it is here? Should I wait 4 years so I can buy a sequencer and 3-4 plugins? Confused

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
20-10-2005 15:40 Homepage of Muad'Dib
@1$-)
unregistered
muaddib may have a point, but tech diff is on the ball.....lower the prices....either that or they have to create hack proof software....ahem....aint gonna happen....
20-10-2005 15:49
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I don't think software is expensive at all really, that's absolutely no argument.
You don't need studio grade software such as Logic or Cubase SX when just making music as a hobby. Other lower class software is really cheap or even free, or you could use Lite versions of high end programs which have some functions removed but are very usable and have the same high quality audio engine.

Stuff like Cubase SE is very usable, even on a professional level, and only costs 150 euro.

Other software which is designed from the ground up for hobbyists, like FLStudio, is incredibly cheap with prices ranging from 50 euro to 150 euro.

Stuff like Logic and Cubase SX are not developed for hobby use, those are professional tools for production use and are very cheap really when viewed in that context.

Same goes for other types of software, eg when you want to correct the odd photograph you don't need Photoshop which is developed for professional designers.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-10-2005 17:23 Homepage of thechronic
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Well, P, I can say that you can't sense how expensive software is for us here... and for poor people... it is not that I'm poor. No, I live ok here! The problem is that the standard is VERY LOW, like yours divided by 12. We live ok, but I still can't buy software unless I don't eat for 3 months and walk on foot to college (which is about 7 km from where I live).

It is expensive. I wonder how people in Africa buy software Confused

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
20-10-2005 18:49 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Stuff like Cubase SE is very usable, even on a professional level, and only costs 150 euro.

They guy at Midician once told me there is also a third version of Cubase called Cubase LE. It has allmost all functionality (95% or so) of the SX version and costs only half of what SX does. The parts missing are supposed to be support for hardware we can't afford anyway. Maybe worth checking out?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

20-10-2005 20:01 Homepage of Surya
dYzeaZe dYzeaZe is a male
Blighted Mind

images/avatars/avatar-1694.gif

Registration Date: 25-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:

And what about if your monthly wage is 150 euros, your bills take 100 euros, you spend 40 euros on food, and one sequencer is 50 euros?

As it is here? Should I wait 4 years so I can buy a sequencer and 3-4 plugins? Confused

I totally agree with Muad'Dib about that. In dif countries there are totally dif situations.
E.g. 150 euros is like.. 1/3 of a normal persons income here in Estonia. So it's quite hard for someone.

__
Right now I'm in the process of making up a good sig.
20-10-2005 20:25
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

They guy at Midician once told me there is also a third version of Cubase called Cubase LE. It has allmost all functionality (95% or so) of the SX version and costs only half of what SX does. The parts missing are supposed to be support for hardware we can't afford anyway. Maybe worth checking out?

i actually have A copy of Cubase Le .. that came with my Emu 0404 and a wavelab lite ... the only thing im fearing is the loss of quality?? are the sound engines any defferent?? Does it really matter for someone who only uses cubase as a rewire host??

whats the deal ...

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
20-10-2005 22:04 Homepage of Arkitekt
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Well, P, I can say that you can't sense how expensive software is for us here... and for poor people... it is not that I'm poor. No, I live ok here! The problem is that the standard is VERY LOW, like yours divided by 12. We live ok, but I still can't buy software unless I don't eat for 3 months and walk on foot to college (which is about 7 km from where I live).

I agree that in your case most software is very expensive to buy, but still that should not be an excuse to use cracked programs Tongue
There is some good freeware available too, and something like FLStudio is in your reach.

__
20-10-2005 22:53 Homepage of thechronic
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

I agree that in your case most software is very expensive to buy, but still that should not be an excuse to use cracked programs Tongue
There is some good freeware available too, and something like FLStudio is in your reach.

ive used teh FLstudio and for the price it really cant be beat...

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
20-10-2005 23:32 Homepage of Arkitekt
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Originally posted by border
If the program hangs or is less stable when it is cracked, then it is not cracked good imo
But it is idd not very possible to check if a crack does it's job good or not...

And btw it is a bit scary to see that I created a topic like that, since I'm currently moving to open source software, even for music composition and production...
check http://www.agnula.org for that
And since I'm a programmer too it's kind of my goal to write all programs that I need and that aren't there yet (for linux mostly then), and probably open source too

cool, which software will you use on linux (ardour, hydrogyn, rosegarden???) What language will you write your software in (C++,Java?).
20-10-2005 23:53
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

quote:
Originally posted by rudeone

they wouldnt make much money if everyone did that Smile

the thing that stuffs me is that its easier to download software for free these days than is is to buy... when i get some good regular income i will definitaly buy all my favourite software!

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
21-10-2005 00:05 Homepage of wreakon
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by reckon
quote:
Originally posted by rudeone

they wouldnt make much money if everyone did that Smile

the thing that stuffs me is that its easier to download software for free these days than is is to buy... when i get some good regular income i will definitaly buy all my favourite software!

Good luck with that...

Waves Bundles alone are in the thousands ... Bigup

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
21-10-2005 01:09 Homepage of Arkitekt
CharlieVanPelt CharlieVanPelt is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-95.gif

Registration Date: 18-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
The benefits of buying software:
  • You are actively supporting the people who make your favourite pieces of software. They really need your cash!
  • You know the software has been extensively tested and is safe to use.
  • You get free updates and bug fixes when they are released.
  • You can register in the private forum of the software company and get loads of support there.
  • You can phone them up or mail them if you have a problem with the software and they'll find a solution for you.
  • You'll often get a manual and some extra goodies.

Add a peaceful conscience to that list, even though I know at least one of you won't believe me. Tongue As a person who has been on both sides of the fence, I can definitely say that it's sweeter this time around.

I can agree about FL Studio being within reach...now, granted, it did cost me about $200 (all dollar amounts CDN). Add the cost of the PSP Vintage Warmer (around the same price) and my new computer (about $2000), and we're talking about serious spending. Also, consider the fact that I'd like to get Sound Forge 8 ($350) and z3ta+ (about $250, I think), and you can probably hear my bank account begging for mercy.

It's worth it in the end, though - I see those purchases as an investment as opposed to a burden. Bigup

__
My music page

Latest track: Bad All Day
21-10-2005 04:44 Homepage of CharlieVanPelt
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Using cracked software