drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » FL Studio Exporting mp3s: too quiet
Go to the bottom of this page FL Studio Exporting mp3s: too quiet
Author

images/avatars/avatar-1239.jpg

Registration Date: 25-09-2005

I have made a few tunes in FL Studio, and it's all great and such, just that when I export them in mp3 format they're kind of quiet compared to when working in FL. Have you experienced this? Can you help?

__
One, two, three, DnB!!! Tongue
16-10-2005 16:42
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

if u have turned down the master volume to avoid distortion that's the cause..
If so you should re-level all parts of your tune so it isnt distorted anymore with master volume on the regular setting. Or use a compressor, but mostly it makes it louder, but messes up with the sounds of yer tune..

ps. you damn thief Evil Tongue

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
16-10-2005 16:58 Homepage of Friscko
SeNT SeNT is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1239.jpg

Registration Date: 25-09-2005

The problem is that when I relevel the master volume again it GETS distorted even if I didn't do anything to avoid distortion before.. You should hear my techno tunes... [sic]

PS. Sorry, changing.

__
One, two, three, DnB!!! Tongue
16-10-2005 18:27
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by SeNT
The problem is that when I relevel the master volume again it GETS distorted even if I didn't do anything to avoid distortion before..

Then u should re-arrange the levels of your samples, so i isnt distorted anymore when the master volume is at normal

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
16-10-2005 19:12 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

just export it, open it in a wave editor such as audacity, normalize it, and there you go. If normalizing doesn't have much effect, you have too much peaks and will need to do the mixing of your tune over, or use a compressor/limiter. Another thing you could try is export it to .wav first. If that result is ok with you, then compress it using a tool like razorlame.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
16-10-2005 19:52 Homepage of djfreemc
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
just export it, open it in a wave editor such as audacity, normalize it, and there you go. If normalizing doesn't have much effect, you have too much peaks and will need to do the mixing of your tune over, or use a compressor/limiter. Another thing you could try is export it to .wav first. If that result is ok with you, then compress it using a tool like razorlame.

i dont think normalizing a whole tune is a good idea. for one it will take ages and two it stops at the first point that will get clipped.. its ok if you have a little high freq clipping.. heaps of tunes do

what you need is a scope like s(M)exoscope put it on your master channel and adjust your volume till you see it just start clipping on the peaks

if you add compression then you can trun it up louder b4 it will clip. but its not gona make that much difference. The scope is the best tool you can have when mastering and compressing! i reckon Smile

and never touch that main volume thing up the top in fruity... just use your mixer. make sure your reset it.. right click and reset

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
17-10-2005 03:40 Homepage of wreakon
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Why is normalizing not a good idea? It just amplifies the whole thing in such way the peak levels come to the maximum you can have in a sound file. If the peak levels are too high, it won't improve much, but it won't do any damage either. If you have little experience with mastering it is worth a try I think.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
17-10-2005 13:02 Homepage of djfreemc
evol genius

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
Why is normalizing not a good idea? It just amplifies the whole thing in such way the peak levels come to the maximum you can have in a sound file. If the peak levels are too high, it won't improve much, but it won't do any damage either. If you have little experience with mastering it is worth a try I think.

it just seems like a wast of time.. your better to just have your master levels right in the first place.. if you use a scope this is easy

if you export youre tunes with heaps of head room then you loose some of the dynamic range. Sure you can scale it back out but you never really get all the detail back... just an approximation

think of it like a image.. once you scale down you lose information Wink

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

mylamespace
17-10-2005 13:43 Homepage of wreakon
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I don't see what is wrong with normalizing either. And it takes long you say? I guess you're using the wrong software then.

Export -> Normalize -> Limit

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

17-10-2005 14:04 Homepage of Surya
evol genius

Helpfulness rating: 

ok.. so it doesnt take to long, i havent done it in an export b4

still you should be exporting at atleast 100% anyways

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

mylamespace
17-10-2005 14:13 Homepage of wreakon
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by SeNT
I have made a few tunes in FL Studio, and it's all great and such, just that when I export them in mp3 format they're kind of quiet compared to when working in FL. Have you experienced this? Can you help?

use a soft clipper on the master channel, and instead of turning your master down, turneach of your individual tracks in your mixer down... standard part of your mixdown procedure...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Surora23: 17-10-2005 15:41.

17-10-2005 15:40
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i have had this problem, and i feel bad i couldn't be here to hlep earlier.

when you export sounds into fruity it turns them down to 80% of there orignal volume, crank taht knob to full to the left of the track in STep Sequencer and you won't get clipping there, beyond that, yea hit the normalize button on the sampler menu. activate Legacy Effects if it's not there.

also a exciter or saturator helps bring up volume wihout increasing energy that much. makes precived loudness greater, without changeing the volume. works by excentuating even harmonics which the ears are more sensative to.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 20-01-2006 09:25.

29-12-2005 07:28 Homepage of Halph-Price
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

noticed that in fl 5 and after, i tihnk, that when yuo drop a sound into the sound bar at the bottem it'll default to 100% volume, and not sound weird, as oppose tot he normal channel that drops t to 80%.

it's leaving headroom so the sound can breath. too loud and it clips, thats it game over. sounds like SHIT. unlike analog, it clips it's done, not it clips adn it gets "warm".

yea clipper or limiter as there based of of them. brickwall limiters. don't let the level get into clip. if it's not loud enough it's probably just your song, and it's eathier turned down a bit, and entirly done on computer, giving it a more sallow, hollow, strile, cold sound. and lacking ccertin umph, and warmth.

if it's not loud enough, just comapre it to other songs. maybe it's just genuinely loud. cmopare what would make it sound more fuller, what general range, low deep, or hihs or hig mids or low mids. try to find an insturment or ntoes that would better suit that range at that part fo teh song. maybe bring a piano up a n octave could help fill it up more.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

20-01-2006 09:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I never had similar probles Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
20-01-2006 11:14 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

i have it too sometimes when doing that.

its because fruity renders it too quiet , stopid thang is it.

nothing to do just eq it or compress...
01-02-2006 01:31

Helpfulness rating: 

ya know i keep browsing this topic... and i dont undesrtand where you guys are getting that FL renders things quietly... its volume level is not the issue but its sound quality...

a good thing to do is to render a wav, load it up in wav lab, apply a master eq with tiny compression, and a mix saturator...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

01-02-2006 05:07
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
a good thing to do is to render a wav, load it up in wav lab, apply a master eq with tiny compression, and a mix saturator...

No compressor. A limiter!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

01-02-2006 07:26 Homepage of Surya

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

there are a billion ways of doing it Tongue all trial and error really...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

01-02-2006 08:59
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

there are a billion ways of doing it Tongue all trial and error really...

I don't agree. I always do a limiter coz the result always sounds better than when I use a compressor. Less squashed, more boost.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

01-02-2006 09:41 Homepage of Surya
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

okay there seems to be many opinions on this but i have the same thing in FL since day one infact.

the mp3 alwayz sounds like it has lessimpact.

nowadays i get round this by firstly produce the track with rendering in mind meaning making elemnts louder etc than sounds right so that when you export it will sound better

and on my soundcard mixer setting i move the bass and treble slider down a few notches so that when in FL the levels will sound more punchy when exporting

anywayz this is probably a bad way around the problem

i dunno

thats wot i do!! Bigup

__
My Sounds
01-02-2006 10:39
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » FL Studio Exporting mp3s: too quiet