drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Isnt it funny...
Go to the bottom of this page Isnt it funny...
Author
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

how people with the skills get the most reviews... and people that are starting out get fuck all.
and the people with the skills hardly ever review newbies work.

i just thought these sites are created to help people communicate, and improve production skills. and i find the best way to improve is to get people with skills to listen to your work and tell you what is good and what is shit and what you could do.

thought of the day

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
07-10-2005 08:35 Homepage of anf0 D
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

girls like guys with skills

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
07-10-2005 08:46 Homepage of wreakon
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

It's just that people like to bigup the good tracks, it's harder to comment on a bad track...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-10-2005 08:59 Homepage of Surya
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

i try to review newbie stuff when i can but they usually have a lot of really good reviews by other newbies so when i speak the truth, some (repeat: some, not all) tend to pretend like it doesn't exist. but i guess this is the very problem you're talking about.
I think that producers with skills are heavily outweighed by newbies on this site.
and what surya said, and what reckon said Big Grin also applies to the matter...
07-10-2005 13:07
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
how people with the skills get the most reviews... and people that are starting out get fuck all.

i just thought these sites are created to help people communicate, and improve production skills. and i find the best way to improve is to get people with skills to listen to your work and tell you what is good and what is shit and what you could do.

thought of the day

I have noticed the same shit... I don't review much, but I review only newbies' tracks

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
07-10-2005 13:19 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

i only review who has reviewed me ( and otherwise )
I think thats a fair point.
07-10-2005 18:29
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:

thought of the day

most people dont review the newbs cause theyre track is shit...and the people with skills, or some atleast, want to tell them that its complete shit...however...the vast majority do not knwo hwo to take constructive criticism, no matter how harsh it is... there for, they dont...
and i think i speak for many people in this case...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

07-10-2005 19:14
Old-School Rolla

Helpfulness rating: 

so u basically just second me, surora.
07-10-2005 22:10
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

thought of the day

most people dont review the newbs cause theyre track is shit...and the people with skills, or some atleast, want to tell them that its complete shit...however...the vast majority do not knwo hwo to take constructive criticism, no matter how harsh it is... there for, they dont...
and i think i speak for many people in this case...

But you have to help them, no matter how they take it!!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
08-10-2005 01:26 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Imo, the people who get most reviews are the most popular producers.
That doesn't mean they've got the skills.
Lol example: my tracks Big Grin

__

08-10-2005 10:29 Homepage of Rude
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

with my 28k i review the tracks with the smallest (0-
3mb) sizes first, and mostly those are newbie tracks.. Big Grin

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
08-10-2005 12:58 Homepage of Friscko
Old-School Rolla

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib

if they don't take it seriously, then how is it helping them at all? seriously, tho, i jus wanna take the project files of these guy's tracks, freshen it up real quick, and show em how much better your sound can be if you take 15 or maybe 20 more minutes into certain things. they would be amazed...i think 70% of the tracks on this site sound flat and lifeless, even if they're full of good ideas, simply because the producer doesn't have the skills to make it sound good, and that's sad..
08-10-2005 16:23
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib

if they don't take it seriously, then how is it helping them at all? seriously, tho, i jus wanna take the project files of these guy's tracks, freshen it up real quick, and show em how much better your sound can be if you take 15 or maybe 20 more minutes into certain things. they would be amazed...i think 70% of the tracks on this site sound flat and lifeless, even if they're full of good ideas, simply because the producer doesn't have the skills to make it sound good, and that's sad..

well put

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-10-2005 18:44
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah some nice points guys...

but yeah people still need to be told what is bad... what is good... and how they could improve.

they arnt going to learn anything if you dont bother to say anything.

__
09-10-2005 01:57 Homepage of anf0 D
Old-School Rolla

Helpfulness rating: 

ok, everyone that thinks they need help: read articles on eq, compression, whatever, and i mean read. not skim through until you find something that appeals to you. try to understand what that switch actually does, what that huge word means, and you'll realize that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to grasp most of the concepts. a lot of us neglect taking the time to get our hands dirty, get down and spend some time learning. and im not saying i'm not guilty of it either. that's ALL you NEED to DO. and practice. make beats, make bass, and test test test them together. listen to pro tunes, line em right up with your own stuff until you can get the sound as close as possible. not all of this stuff is magic tricks.
and learn your software! the widespread confusion when it came to loop points in FL astounded me and surora...that's so basic. ever actually look at the manual? there is one. for every program. you can even buy books on the more serious ones.
09-10-2005 02:30
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah i dont think the noobs are going to come in here looking for that ^

you need to tell each n every one... so chuck that in like speed type for noobs.

__
10-10-2005 05:24 Homepage of anf0 D
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

OK my 5 cents ...

Sometimes honest critics is really -not- what people should hear, on certain level of production people need big fat thumbs up from other people to have fun and be motivated for another track creation. It's really not important to tell someone who is just making his first steps with music that he needs to equalise stuff here and there or that his bassline is in phase or that he should limit his track to certain level. -No- usually they are just experimenting with harmonies, structure or rhytms.
Another thing is that you can point out some problems that you can hear but the other side can't because of lack of experience, seriously I am talking from my own experience I was lucky that I was deaf stubborn and egoistic kid and I didn't believe critics and kept practicing.

-practice- is the most important factor mostly, even if you tell every little mistake someone made in his track or even if he read tons of books about mixing and mastering result of this will be very slight until he -absorbs- this knowledge during his practicing or experimenting. Again it's my own experience, I've read hipnotic's guide to equalisation which is btw great article on www.dnbscene.com but I realised what he meant just when I found out myself about it.

Another thing I realised and again from my own stupid experience Smile is that people often "underrate" their tracks saying how it sucks, but they don't want others to agree with them but hear something like "b0 man ! you r teh 1337 producer respecta !!oneone" usually they are trying to explain or make excusions about the track like "but my reason is teh suck! i need better software, i need better headphones, i need better samples etc.." this is of course truth but not the most important point.

One last thing, it's really easier to give thumbs ups to a track that sounds good or track that even if it's not well produced has some nice musical idea. If you listen to a track that doesn't interest you with little tiny bit, and you are supposed to write constructive criticism when all you'd like to say is "erase it bro and start from the scratch" it's pain in the ass, you have to listen to it over and over again and try to find something you could cheer up the guy with. Usually those are little lies like, "I really like how your hihat sounds" altough it has nothing to do with producing skills it's at least something positive Smile

Again .. as in every work or art there are two most important things..
1. talent, 2.hard work, you can't be good without both, you can be very avarage producer if you practice over and over again your sound may be great though structure of your song sucks. If you have just talent but you don't like work, you'll most likely end on some internet forums writing articles about critics [/joke] Tongue no seriously your tracks will be listenable but they could never be released because of low technical quality that comes from hard work.

My last few words, have fun with your music, try to work on tunes every day, try to make songs from the begining to the end instead of making "phat sounding loops" that have nothing but the sound, -fuck- all those equalisation and compression manuals, try to avoid vsts until you are sure you need them, focus on music, structure, harmonies, breakdowns etc.. Try every new song you make sound better then last one, of course you can work on one tune and fiddle with sound but you'll miss the practice of song making. After some time when you have some new knowledge and experience, you can return back to your older songs you like and remix them.

We are all learning and in the point when someone thinks he can't learn anything new, he is about done.. I hear loads of mistakes in my older tunes but i'm too lazy to fix it, but I am looking forward to my new songs because i will use what I know in them.

again.. have fun with your music and good luck..
hopefully this made sense.

B-cx - the eternal N00b

[don't you think it's funny that some people here are using this word ? Pleased

__

10-10-2005 07:21
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

B-Complex , you're totally right.
10-10-2005 09:10
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah nice words

__
10-10-2005 09:16 Homepage of anf0 D
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

Amen

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
10-10-2005 19:41 Homepage of Arkitekt
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Isnt it funny...