drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Total noob needs advice
Go to the bottom of this page Total noob needs advice
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-75.jpg

Registration Date: 19-01-2003

(i heard Temple of doom by fresh was made on reason...)
23-11-2003 18:19
Type Type is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-182.jpg

Registration Date: 08-01-2004

Death

Hey man, I'm new here on DnB.be, but I saw this one and had to reply...

I say: if you have ears, you can make songs out of almost anything... Sometimes I wonder why you need lots of expensive software and hardware to create dope trax...
I started just with an old comp-mic, and a wav-editor, experimenting with the sound and creating songs just with my own voice... (you can call it a digital beatbox)... I mean, it was fun and actually, they sounded quite phat (and fucked up, like ATR,...) If you can come up with something original, it can't be bad...

OK, anyway, nowadays, I use FL Studio (Latest version of Fruity Loops) to make sounds, Reason for it's synth, but both of these programs have crappy sequencers... So I export everything, mash it up and mix it in a stand-alone tracker (depends on the moment, now I'm using "Magix Music Maker", go figure)... It works for me...

Tried Cubase some times, found it too hard...

What I'm trying to say: you gotta search the internet, man, try out some software demo's... And use your ears Allears

Respect Bigup

__
Fight the Big Music Industry - Fight Purism as well!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cluelessproject.be

Check it out!
09-01-2004 00:19 Homepage of Type
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Type
Sometimes I wonder why you need lots of expensive software and hardware to create dope trax...

Indeed, I still use good ol' Buzz, which is completely free Big Grin Imo it's a lot like Reason (connecting synths, samplers and effects) but a bit less visual. But there are waaaaaaaaay more plugins (free offcourse Big Grin ) and you CAN use VSTi's Bigup

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-01-2004 11:28 Homepage of Surya
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Fruity is indeed easy to start with, but for more serious stuff I would recomend Reason or even Cubase. I still use Buzz...

you gotta be kiddin' me? It's the other way around! FL Studio is FAR more advanced than reason. In the new versoin 4.51 there's a Rewire function. I use it with Cubase SX 2! Reason got no vst support and that's just something you can't miss!

__

Drop On Request
27-01-2004 19:19 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, only used Reason for the first time recently, and I decided to stick to Buzz for now. Maybe I'll try that copy of Cubase SX 2 I have now, but no Reason for me, tnx Big Grin
Buzz has VST support, so that's cool Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-01-2004 19:45 Homepage of Surya
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Yeah, only used Reason for the first time recently, and I decided to stick to Buzz for now. Maybe I'll try that copy of Cubase SX 2 I have now, but no Reason for me, tnx Big Grin
Buzz has VST support, so that's cool Big Grin

i tried buzz once and i saw a lot of resemblence in the way of working with fruity.... correct me if i'm wrong.

__

Drop On Request
27-01-2004 21:24 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Could be, don't know fruity that well (tried a version 4 years ago or so)
Think it's a lot like Reason too: machines you connect in the order you want. But it has waaaaaaaay more machines Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-01-2004 22:40 Homepage of Surya
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

i use reason 2.5 for the synths and all that (just got cubase sx, and started using the vsti's) and i render everything into wav. (basically making my own synth/bass samples) and then run the wavs in acid pro, cuz i've got a ton of direct-x plugins (and i've just gotten too used to how acid works)...the way i see it, why limit yourself to just one software program? the more weapons in your arsenal, the better chance you have at winning the battle....

__

28-01-2004 19:30
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Akuma
the way i see it, why limit yourself to just one software program? the more weapons in your arsenal, the better chance you have at winning the battle....

the power of vst Big Grin

__

Drop On Request
28-01-2004 19:41 Homepage of Qbit
Dee Dee is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 13-09-2004

If your starting out then the best all in 1 apps to use are no doubt Reason 2.5 or Fruityloops, i would go for Reason personally.
The more professional the program the harder it will be to use it but alot better in the long run.
I myself am using Cubase rewried with Reason and fruityloops and have worked this way for the past 3 years now.
And as for the comments about poor sound coming out of Reason, well thats a joke cause if the sound quality is that poor its only due the mastering, engineering and mixdown of the person who is uses it, and obviously does not know how to get the most out of it. In my case when i export my tunes to audio i do that within Cubase and what i get from then is my Cubase and Reason mixed together and i certainly dont have any serious issues with sound quality so..
Its not so much the tools but who is using them !
23-09-2004 08:12
Dee Dee is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 13-09-2004

Reason might not vst support but thats why it got Rewire facilities for Cubase and Audio Logic LOL
23-09-2004 08:28
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

i no that reason don't have the best sound output, but you can rewire it in cubase and export the shit with cubase, all tracks i've put here were made in reason, the most importand are skills and ears. On dogsonacid forum Fresh mentioned that he made few his tracks using reason.

__

24-09-2004 18:35
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

I just love the intuïtive interface of FLstudio, it's the only program I didn't have to read the manual to get a first sound out of it Big Grin . And allthough u can start really simple, It also has some freakin' advanced functions u will be very happy to find once u get deeper into producing.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
25-09-2004 11:58 Homepage of djfreemc
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Fruity Loops 5, though very easy to work, has a bit of a lurning curve to get into it. it's not straigh off easy to pick up, but once you do, you're sailing.

sound quality can be greatly improved by using sine 256 to render the song, with anyt computer that is recent for the past year can pump the song out at the same speed, regardless of the
DAMN SLOW warning.

now i am just picking up this new BUZZ machine, which i use a lot in fruity, but now see there's a big collection.

i just want to say THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

omfg.

it is amazing. i like the simple way it's all done. it's fantastic. and it's free, *sigh*

don't get me wrong, fruity it self, is great for learning everything yuo need to know.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 28-12-2004 20:33.

28-12-2004 20:09 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Total noob needs advice