drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJ Gear » A new crossfader for free
Go to the bottom of this page A new crossfader for free
Author
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-11.jpg

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

This is something i found on the eurodnb website. the article is written by corea. thought it might be interesting posting this here Wink

DISCLAIMER
This article has been written as a sort of a benevolent advice, a tip if you will, for the proud owners of scratch mixers. The procedure described here is not guaranteed to work everywhere; it's been tried out on a Stanton SK6 (3 identical Alps faders), and probably will work on most models with the same fader/crossfader setup (i.e. Rane TTM52/54, Ecler HAK310/320, other Stanton models...). But before doing anything, be sure to thoroughly check all the technical specifications of your mixer. Neither the author of this article, nor the EuroDnB website, cannot be held reponsible for what happens to your mixer if you decide to try this out - it's entirely on your own back.

A durable crossfader is an essential part of every well designed scratch mixer. Still, no matter how high its quality is, the bitter truth is that unless it's not an optical or a magnetic fader, sooner or later it will wear out. All physical (contact-type) faders do. A worn out fader simply starts letting out sound where it shouldn't, which is often referred to as "bleeding", and this renders the fader almost unusable.

How long will a fader endure without "bleeding" is entirely up to the DJ and how he's treating it. If the DJ is into smooth mixing, he will probably move his fader once or twice per tune mixed, which is much less than during an intensive cut & scratch session when the DJ will move it back and forth hundreds or even thousands of times. At this rate of use, an Alps fader (found in Stanton and Vestax mixers) can be changed every 3 to 4 months.

A lot of people don't streak to professional turntablism, but still scratch to enrich their mixing. Some do it to complement live music played by a band. But what they all usually do is choose one hand for scratching and the other for cutting on the crossfader, and rarely bother with practicing the opposite combination. After weeks or months of hard practicing, they will come up with good skills, but also with a worn out crossfader. However, it will only be worn out on one side. Throwing it away and replacing it with a new one would be a pity, knowing that there's the other side still working perfectly. Given the fact that a replacement crossfader can sometimes cost up to one third of a price of a cheap mixer, we've come up with a money saving workaround that will help all those who don't use both sides of the crossfader for cutting (and perhaps have a reverse switch on their mixer).

The trick is, with a scratch mixer that has been set up with three identical faders, you don't have two line faders and a crossfader, but a crossfader and two replacements. As all the faders can be more or less easily interchanged, this is the part where people usually wonder how could doing a switch and ending up with a bleeding line fader be any good? Since line faders on scratch mixers don't give any audible sound output in the bottom 1/5th of a fader, the worn out part will find itself in the silent zone and you should not be having any problems with "bleeding".

When you have worn out all three of your faders, if you cut only on one side of the (cross)fader, you still have 3 more to go! Take off the faceplate, unscrew the fader, rotate it for 180 degrees and put it back in. It might not fit as easily, but give it a sensible push or two, and it will take its place. Put the faceplate back on, turn on the mixer and hit the crossfader reverse switch. Voila!

You can repeat this procedure until you wear out all of your faders on all sides. And when that happens, you'll agree that is defitively the right time to get a new mixer!

you can aslo read this at
http://www.eurodnb.com/show_article.php?id=123

Bigup for corea

__
Sun
02-07-2003 17:05
knine knine is a male
Lawless

images/avatars/avatar-72.jpg

Registration Date: 09-04-2003

Superb tip!!! Bigup

__
Midleft fka knine
www.jungletactics.com
www.dedkob.com
03-07-2003 11:02 Homepage of knine
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Or just buy a good mixer Smile

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 06-08-2003 19:23.

06-08-2003 19:23 Homepage of djfreemc
knine knine is a male
Lawless

images/avatars/avatar-72.jpg

Registration Date: 09-04-2003

Euhm...well...yeah...ok...might be a good idea too... Big Grin ROFL Hihi :moothfullofteeth:

__
Midleft fka knine
www.jungletactics.com
www.dedkob.com
06-08-2003 22:57 Homepage of knine
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-11.jpg

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
Or just buy a good mixer Smile

Not everyone can afford ritch-boys-material Roll Eyes
And even than, crossfaders can fail when you play alot Wink

__
Sun
07-08-2003 10:29
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Azer
Not everyone can afford ritch-boys-material Roll Eyes
And even than, crossfaders can fail when you play alot Wink

well, I'm still playin on my old JB Frown , but when I get rid of it, i'm definately goin' for vestax Big Grin

__
08-08-2003 20:36 Homepage of djfreemc
Scion Scion is a male
The Noize Squad

images/avatars/avatar-139.gif

Registration Date: 03-03-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I don't know if this is globally known, but if my crossfader "kraakt", I use a thing called contactspray. It isn't expensive at all and it really helps to smoothen and fix ya crossfader for a while!

__
Power to the peaceful
15-08-2003 12:01
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

That contactspray can do miracles, also for rotary selectors, mine was completely stuck, and now it is as smooth as a new one. Every DJ definately needs a can of this stuff! Bigup

__
15-08-2003 12:50 Homepage of djfreemc
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

It's the fluid that keeps the dj alive!

__