drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » it could only happen to me...
Go to the bottom of this page it could only happen to me...
Author
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

gotta love dem pc crashes, the kind that force you into having to reformat the whole damn drive and start from scratch. thank god i had all my shit backed up on a removable drive which caused me to lose nothing but alot of sleep and and aggravation. so now i had to reinstall everything from scratch, windows updates and all. fu*%*$((9f88**8!!

Soo sorry if my posts are a lil fewer than normal seeing as how I'm trying to recover from this bs event. Mad

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
22-08-2005 02:45
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

What kind of crashes make you format the whole thing?

Anyway, I always make at least 2 partitions on the disk, one for the programs and one for the data. That way if you format, you get to keep the data Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-08-2005 09:32 Homepage of Surya
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya

Anyway, I always make at least 2 partitions on the disk, one for the programs and one for the data. That way if you format, you get to keep the data Big Grin

well, luckily i had an external drive that i been keeping all my stuff backed up on, but for some reason the system kept going into blue screen mode and my media players were freezing up all the time. first it started with shitty quality video then it would just lock. i dunno what the hell happened, but i got tired of having to constantly reboot, so i cleaned it out and started fresh. works like a charm too. what a shame too, brand new fucking computer. Mad

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
22-08-2005 10:12
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Windows XP sucks, however new your PC is...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-08-2005 10:17 Homepage of Surya
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Windows XP sucks, however new your PC is...

so very true Passout

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
22-08-2005 10:19
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:

that is a smart thing to do if you don't have two harddisks

what exactly fucked up your computer? spyware? virus? best thing to do is to have two computers, one cheap basic model for the net and the other one totally offline. you don't really need those windows updates, you know...

threre are a bunch of anti-spyware out there, but by the time you run the scan, it could be too late..

here's what I do do to avoid spyware in 99% of cases:

for accesing the web, create a "limited account" user. it's found in control panel under "settings" (WinXP)

most spyware are executable programs which install themselves without your notice... a limited account cannot install anything, or it can try but it will always ask you to enter your administrator password, therefore it could never install a spyware or if it tries, youll see an "enter password"...

an administrator account is more attacked by intruders, hackers etc. if you show up on the web as a "user" you woud be less attractive for those too

p.s. WinXP is easily the moste stable of all other versions. it still can crash, fuck up etc. but, remember 98? Puke

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 22-08-2005 10:27.

22-08-2005 10:24 Homepage of cynik
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

you know man, im not totally sure what did me in exactly. it might have been a virus and spyware. i use avast! anitvirus which has worked really well for me. but it kept reporting this stupid ass malware shit that kept trying to jack my browser on this site i was checking out. i tried to abort the connection but it kept popping up the message even after i disconnected. well, from that point on shit just kinda went downhill. but yeah, i've considered the thought of goin' for a second pc seeing as how im online alot and thats usually wher emost of my problems start.

quote:
most spyware are executable programs which install themselves without your notice... a limited account cannot install anything, or it can try but it will always ask you to enter your administrator password, therefore it could never install a spyware or if it tries, youll see an "enter password"...

thats really not a bad idea. to be truthful, ive never really screwed with the features of XP indepth, so maybe i'll have to look into that a bit more. makes good sense.

quote:
p.s. WinXP is easily the moste stable of all other versions. it still can crash, fuck up etc. but, remember 98?

heh, kinda funny you mentioned that, the office people wher ei used to work had windows 98 on some of their computers, and i remember even after they left, i could see in the windows of the office and the pc's would always freeze up when shutting down and even 5 hours after they left, the screen would still be on saying windows is shuting down. that was like a daily thing lol.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by optikal_assassin: 22-08-2005 10:33.

22-08-2005 10:31
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
WinXP is easily the moste stable of all other versions. it still can crash, fuck up etc. but, remember 98? Puke

I agree that XP is probably the most stable untill now, but there are worse things than 98, *cough* milennium *cough*

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
22-08-2005 10:32 Homepage of djfreemc
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
quote:
WinXP is easily the moste stable of all other versions. it still can crash, fuck up etc. but, remember 98? Puke

I agree that XP is probably the most stable untill now, but there are worse things than 98, *cough* milennium *cough*

millenium was the platform that was out when i got my first own pc, which was a pentium 3 at the time. millenium, to be totally truthful, never gave me any problems. hell i have more problems now than i did when i had millenium. sad aint it?

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
22-08-2005 10:35
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

oh yeah, WinME, that cunt wouldn even install without a crash!

__
22-08-2005 10:36 Homepage of cynik
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by optikassassin
you know man, im not totally sure what did me in exactly. it might have been a virus and spyware. i use avast! anitvirus which has worked really well for me. but it kept reporting this stupid ass malware shit that kept trying to jack my browser on this site i was checking out. i tried to abort the connection but it kept popping up the message even after i disconnected. well, from that point on shit just kinda went downhill.

sounds like spyware. I dont know about that avast thing, I have always used the newest kaspersky and no anti-spyware but with a limited account. just the other day I installed a demo of ad-aware and it found nothing

__
22-08-2005 10:40 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Best prevention agains spyware: don't use Internet Explorer for surfing the web. Some (far better) alternatives: Mozilla FireFox or Opera

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-08-2005 12:43 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Man, how is that, that I have the same Win xp and hard-drive state (I didn't format it) for about 2 years without any format, and it works without probz?

I have winxp! No probz! WTF?!

(ok, my Help and Support center doesn't work, but that's not vital...)

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-08-2005 17:10 Homepage of Muad'Dib
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

you probably didn't use windows update muad'dib

IMO completely useless and (maybe) harmful..

__
22-08-2005 17:14 Homepage of cynik
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
p.s. WinXP is easily the moste stable of all other versions. it still can crash, fuck up etc. but, remember 98? Puke

remember?
98 is still better than 95
in 8yrs i have had two hd-crashes and that was on win 95

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
22-08-2005 17:21 Homepage of Friscko
@1$-)
unregistered
no it doesnt just happen to you......i had to format and i hadnt backed my stuff up.....i lost a bunch of tunes.....one of them was chinese whispers (breakstunemp3) which was due to be signed for a compilation....i still have the audio version but it needed another mixdown.........but ho hum....lifes a bitch.....
22-08-2005 18:14
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
you probably didn't use windows update muad'dib

IMO completely useless and (maybe) harmful..

I juz installed windows updates... hmm

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-08-2005 18:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Windows updates are really important!! Put them on automatic. I do a lot of PC maintenance, and nearly always when I find a spyware infested computer they neglected to do their updates.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
24-08-2005 23:59 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

let them install without anything.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-08-2005 03:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Windows updates are really important!! Put them on automatic. I do a lot of PC maintenance, and nearly always when I find a spyware infested computer they neglected to do their updates.

It's just the sort of people that don't do updates that don't do anything agains spyware either. It's not the lack of updates that causes the spyware.

I don't do updates, and you'll find no spyware on my PC Wink

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

25-08-2005 09:57 Homepage of Surya
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » it could only happen to me...