drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Repetitiveness
Go to the bottom of this page Repetitiveness
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.67

Thats a mouthfull to pronounce, try sayin that after a few beers/blunts!
I kno I must av swallowed a dictionary!

Enuff already, back to the point,

Repetitiveness, I hear it a lot lately, and yes in released material! I won't name and shame!
However I can clearly see it's an issue that a lot of us up here (myself included)
seem to find fault with - mostly on a minor scale tho'

So come on, is it really that much of a problem for us as producers?
When it's clearly not held established artists/labels back from releasing 'their' material.

Im not talking the same thing all the way thru' of course, or blantantly repetitive like yawn factor! I mean like( drop similarity) that sort of thing.

I personally really don't have a problem with it in truth - especially if the production is bang on! Alas lately Ive been falling foul of pointing it out during reviews, yes guilty as charged!
I used to represent the old saying - when musical disk sounds nice, we play them twice!

Whats your opinion peeps? sum input greatly appreciated - Later.

__
dubcupboard
19-08-2005 21:34 Homepage of dubcupboard
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I dunno... Well... the pacman tune they released was a bit repetitive, but it's still one of my favs... And it's still nice to listen to sometime

__

19-08-2005 21:37 Homepage of Rude
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

Techstep can been taken as repetitev**qsdfrjo , but then it's to the producer to make it interesting :
-tons of samples
-drumvariation
-personal touch

...but i like it , the techstep.
20-08-2005 11:17
@1$-)
unregistered
dance music is repetitive.....so is most music (unless we are talking free jazz) sometimes you can out subtle things in a track which change and keep it varied but some people just wont notice it.....the best thing you can do is add and take away percussion....
20-08-2005 14:10
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

well put

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
20-08-2005 14:17 Homepage of cynik
Daffy dub Daffy dub is a male
Partizan

images/avatars/avatar-799.jpg

Registration Date: 11-06-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I think what he means is that some well known producers seem to be a bit
lazy, re-using their drumlines, etc.. It' s a thing that strikes me too lately, but certainly not with all the producers.. And I do not mean known producers from this site off course.. Smile

__
In order to survive...
20-08-2005 17:59 Homepage of Daffy dub
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

well repatative. you find a groove making a song. a groove for MAKING songs.

it becomes kind of a structure, a cage, if you will to house the creative ideas.

some people need to learn to NOT follow rules for making songs, and just do something fucked up that can sounds good.

next time you goto do a drop, or to do the next build up, or add the instrument to your drop, try something different, a pattern you would never do and hate to use. you test a style , try it. it can work.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

20-08-2005 19:12 Homepage of Halph-Price
dubcupboard dubcupboard is a male
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I can see your point about being experimental, the trouble is not following the current trend can isolate you as a ground breaker and if no-one knows you they will only tell you that your material doesnt sound right, I think youve gotta walk a fine line between current style and your own style and blend it in,

__
dubcupboard
20-08-2005 20:37 Homepage of dubcupboard
dubcupboard dubcupboard is a male
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah thats exactly what I meant not so much getting lazy but more complacent with the structure etc, you know if youve got a phat rinse-out rollin sometimes you dont wanna spoil that vibe...

__
dubcupboard
20-08-2005 20:39 Homepage of dubcupboard
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2084.jpg

Registration Date: 21-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I did enjoy old Janet Jackson record "Janet" very much with loud volumes. You see, it has totally another album hidden there, underneath, in very small volumes. So there I was, sitting very close to loudspeaker trying to listen that stuff in there. I was using cassette tape back then, perhaps I did imagine all that. One thing is sure though, it was the first moment my hearing was in danger. Definately not the last one though Big Grin

So whats the point of all that?

Even with repetitive moments, the atmosphere underneath was evolving. Despite I wont even conciously mark that atmosphere below, I believe I heard it subcounciously. On end result, I was not bored.

BTW, take a listen to DJWitch - At end of the Night, Spell your Fate from http://www.drumnbass.be/vote.html?d=1&id=1540 . Despite his beats and that ticking bell melody is very simple and repetitive, I think he pulls it off with evolving background. I have been drinking "Gatao" white whine all evening, reviewing people (needing reviews), he pulls best marks.

A another view to repetitiveness, have you noticed you all use generally same sounds? that full frequency bandwith distorted bass is must, kick beat and others sound quite same. Is that repetitive? I mean, whats wrong in being groundbreaker? a genre is supposed to gradually evolve, the same day it stops evolving, it dies.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by GreatFisherCat: 20-08-2005 21:02.

20-08-2005 20:58
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

lol

about taht jackson thing. what you heard was a b-side punching through on your presumably crap copy... even if it was an original tape, it still s a very low quality medium...

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
20-08-2005 21:20 Homepage of cynik
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by dubcupboard
Thats a mouthfull to pronounce, try sayin that after a few beers/blunts!
I kno I must av swallowed a dictionary!

Enuff already, back to the point,

Repetitiveness, I hear it a lot lately, and yes in released material! I won't name and shame!
However I can clearly see it's an issue that a lot of us up here (myself included)
seem to find fault with - mostly on a minor scale tho'

So come on, is it really that much of a problem for us as producers?
When it's clearly not held established artists/labels back from releasing 'their' material.

Im not talking the same thing all the way thru' of course, or blantantly repetitive like yawn factor! I mean like( drop similarity) that sort of thing.

I personally really don't have a problem with it in truth - especially if the production is bang on! Alas lately Ive been falling foul of pointing it out during reviews, yes guilty as charged!
I used to represent the old saying - when musical disk sounds nice, we play them twice!

Whats your opinion peeps? sum input greatly appreciated - Later.

Like most of the disputes between dnb...Repetetiveness is all relative to the style really...think about it...

Jazzydnb...defunked hosptial kind of stuff...well they can get away with literally makeing the entire tune the same through almost the whole thing with very veyr minor switch ups...

Jump up...cheesy melodies with drum switch ups after 32 or 64 counts...nothing more, nothing less...

However...the darkstep, hardstep, techstep vibe, thrives on change ups and new things to keep the track interesting...i find the darker side of dnb to be the most...how should i say?...well...out there...crazy basslines....usually like 3-4 diff bass sounds...drums all over the place...

Granted there are many dark tunes that are just plain shit...but i guess thats jsut all in personal taste...

Like i said its all relative...depends on what people find to be repetetive...Someone could say one track is fucking amazing and its the same loop all teh way through where somone else would never pick it up cause its broing as fuck...

But like i said before...many times...Its not about how many elements you have in a track, its about how many times you can take the ones you have, change them to keep it interesting and sitll have the same track....

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

21-08-2005 05:25
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

he's talking about how people kill their music by keeping to ridgid song structure. and as "out there" as dnb seems, some people liek to keep it dictated to a rigid song structure, and right now i find that i seem to slip into that.

need more false drops , always keeps em on there toes.

or starting the drop exactly 1 bar later. or ealier!

shit like that fucks a song up, but if you just do a few things, and set it up in a way that shows you did that on purpose.
or at least KNOW you did it on purpose.

once you've masterd song sturcutre, you know how much you can get away with.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 21-08-2005 06:06.

21-08-2005 06:04 Homepage of Halph-Price
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2084.jpg

Registration Date: 21-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
lol

about taht jackson thing. what you heard was a b-side punching through on your presumably crap copy... even if it was an original tape, it still s a very low quality medium...

Youre propably right, altough it was original cassette. Nevertheless, at that time, I thought it was cool Smile
21-08-2005 12:02
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Listen to Aphex Twin. He rocks. He has almost no repetetivenes....
or Mu-ziq

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-08-2005 00:27 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
or Mu-ziq

But he doesn't make DnB Wink

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-08-2005 09:31 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
or Mu-ziq

54 Cymru Beats?

Hrvetski is also rockin...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-08-2005 10:19 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Bassline switch massive!! Rinse Tongue

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
22-08-2005 11:11 Homepage of Friscko
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
or Mu-ziq

54 Cymru Beats?

Hrvetski is also rockin...

That's no DnB, that's Drill'n'Bass, which is a subgenre of IDM or Breakcore Tongue

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-08-2005 12:39 Homepage of Surya
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
or Mu-ziq

actaully the first album was quite repative in the musical format. the song structure, is quite the same in every song. Smile

and drill'n'bass were pioniors of drum and bass, the orignals. MASSIVE.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 22-08-2005 14:43.

22-08-2005 14:42 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Repetitiveness