drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Should the current rating system stay?
Poll: Should the current rating sytem be removed
Yes, it's completely out of control! 19 79.17%
No, it still works fine 5 20.83%
Total: 24 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Should the current rating system stay?
Author
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

hopefully we can rebuild the site now...that's the way i actually see it now, as some great place that is now in ruins...like Los Angeles. but instead of a bunch of crackheads doing absolutely anything to get the dope, it's a bunch of crackheads doing absolutely anything to get five stars. every time i see the top five of the week lists, i have a desire to leave.
11-08-2005 20:58
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

sentiments shared

so.. whos the git that voted "it should stay"?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
11-08-2005 23:06 Homepage of cynik
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

I think there should be separate rating systems for threads and tracks. The rating system included with burningboard works fine most of the time when it's for showing your apreciation to a regular thread. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to work for rating tracks anymore, so change that. I like the idea to enable rating only when posting comments on a track.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
11-08-2005 23:11 Homepage of djfreemc
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
sentiments shared

so.. whos the git that voted "it should stay"?

not i said the fly.... Knownothing

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
11-08-2005 23:18
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
I think there should be separate rating systems for threads and tracks. The rating system included with burningboard works fine most of the time when it's for showing your apreciation to a regular thread. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to work for rating tracks anymore, so change that. I like the idea to enable rating only when posting comments on a track.

i agree wholeheartedly on enabling rating only when writing a review. I also think there should be some way for members to optionally check later to see who gave what ratings for that particular track since everyone's always soo curious to see who's leaving assed up ratings. just my thoughts.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
11-08-2005 23:19
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

hopefully this place aint gonna end up with the Acid Planet rating system. shit, then we'd all be in some serious shit then... Frown

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
11-08-2005 23:21
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by optikassassin
i agree wholeheartedly on enabling rating only when writing a review.

That would fuck up the reviews too then. You would get 5 star ratings and a bunch of useless big up reviews.

quote:
I also think there should be some way for members to optionally check later to see who gave what ratings for that particular track since everyone's always soo curious to see who's leaving assed up ratings. just my thoughts.

That's a really bad idea Wink Everybody would give everybody else 5 stars then in fear of getting a bad vote returned.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
12-08-2005 00:20 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
hopefully this place aint gonna end up with the Acid Planet rating system. shit, then we'd all be in some serious shit then... Frown

Well as it is now the site uses exactly the same rating system as every other site: only registered members can vote, and they can vote only once. The number displayed is the average of all casted votes.

The rating system is not wrong, it just gives an average of the numbers it gets from people. If somebody rates a track too high or too low it is impossible for the rating system to correct this.

I don't know what the Acid Planet rating system is like, but if you check the preview + detailed explanations of the upcoming rating system as mentioned in several other threads now you can make a comparison.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
12-08-2005 00:25 Homepage of thechronic
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

well basically the Acid Planet system sucks in the sense that people leave the 10 star useless reviews just in hopes that you'll come review their tunes. take a look for yourself. If you look through Acid Planet 99.5% of people on that site leave 10 star reviews to tracks that they prolly never even listen to, with reviews saying the good ol' "good job! sounds wonderful! come review me!" I was just saying I'd hate to see this place end up like that. This place is really great, I just think we should try to implement a better system to keep it that way.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
12-08-2005 00:34
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
quote:
i agree wholeheartedly on enabling rating only when writing a review.

That would fuck up the reviews too then. You would get 5 star ratings and a bunch of useless big up reviews.

quote:
I also think there should be some way for members to optionally check later to see who gave what ratings for that particular track since everyone's always soo curious to see who's leaving assed up ratings. just my thoughts.

That's a really bad idea Wink Everybody would give everybody else 5 stars then in fear of getting a bad vote returned.

good points. never thought much on that. but the whole thing with leaving 5 stars in fear of getting a bad vote in return, if someone comes back to bash you for giving them an honest vote with a good reason why just goes to show that persons immaturity. obviously these kinds of people should be watched who do shit like that and action taken if they abuse the system by not being able to take constructive criticism.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by optikal_assassin: 12-08-2005 00:38.

12-08-2005 00:36
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

i think its a fine system... there are just retards that like to abuse it because they believe it will attract more listeners and reviews... and it bothers me to see people doing this.

just my 2cents worth

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by anf0 D: 12-08-2005 00:59.

12-08-2005 00:58 Homepage of anf0 D
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
but the whole thing with leaving 5 stars in fear of getting a bad vote in return, if someone comes back to bash you for giving them an honest vote with a good reason why just goes to show that persons immaturity. obviously these kinds of people should be watched who do shit like that and action taken if they abuse the system by not being able to take constructive criticism.

Yeah but that's how people's minds work. If a producer which tracks you really like would give you two bad votes in a row you'd subconsciously start thinking differently about his work too.
By using a median calculating system like will be used in the new voting system any offshoot votes are ignored automatically anyway, so they become irrelevant and you really don't need to know about them.

The new voting system will be made when the festival season is over, so bear with us for a couple of weeks. Also the TOTM will be reinstated then.

I've made some changes to the homepage so the offshoot votes are not shown until there have been a fair number of ratings, generating a better average.

__
12-08-2005 01:17 Homepage of thechronic
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

Helpfulness rating: 

tune of the month resurrection...cool.
12-08-2005 02:50
@1$-)
unregistered
i see the five star reviews have re-appereared again......

note to whoever is doing it - you suck cock Big Grin
14-08-2005 12:53
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

you mean 5 star ratings not reviews?

hmmm. giving me an idea munki

what if we could rate the reviews themselves? hten dissalow the downrated.. I guess its too complicated but would certanly make the bulshit surface out

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
14-08-2005 20:56 Homepage of cynik
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

Helpfulness rating: 

you mean like a "how relevant was this review to you" thing?
thats what the helpfulness rating is really for, but if its real low they don't kick you out, they just ignore you. although those aren't really accurate either.
14-08-2005 21:09
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
thats what the helpfulness rating is really for, but if its real low they don't kick you out, they just ignore you. although those aren't really accurate either.

The "how relevant" rating would be nice indeed, but maybe difficult to program since reviews are ordinary posts on the forum...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-08-2005 21:20 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
.. Everybody would give everybody else 5 stars then in fear of getting a bad vote returned.

Man, what the f**k?! FEAR!! Whooo (scary voices, and ghosts torturing your wisdom and conciousness at night...) damn... why should they have any fear, its an ONLINE INTERNET REMOTE SITE!!! WTF!!!?

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
14-08-2005 22:12 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
Originally posted by Darkside

The "how relevant" rating would be nice indeed, but maybe difficult to program since reviews are ordinary posts on the forum...

Remember this?
quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
And I have another suggestion to thechronic:
the ew rating system should have another component - the reliability.

All registered members will be able to vote, right? But those people that write no comments and juz vote don't help us too much, do they? Here comes the RELIABILITY integer.

Everyone at start have RELIABILITY integer of 1. That means that they vote is multiplied by this value and then added into the value of the rating of the track. The maths:

you rate the track (with all parameters like dancefloor quality, FX quality etc..) summed 7 stars. Your reliability factor is 1 so the end that is added to the full score of the track is:

7 x 1 = 7

Now, if anyone just rates a track and writes less than 15 words in a comment (the value is picked to stop the flaming and at least to write something to the author), their reliability factor decreases for 20%. From RELIABILITY 1 you will have RELIABILITY 0.8

So maths: 7 x 0.8 = 5,6 so 5,6 is added as your vote.

If you write from 15-30 words you RELIABILITY is decreased for 10%.

So say you rate one track with 7 but you wrote 10 words so your reliability decreased to 0.8 and your rate for the track became 5.6; Now you write another track with 6 but you wrote 24 words and your reliability was decreased for another 10%, 0.8 - 10% = 0.72 and your second rating of 6, by maths, became 6 x 0.72 = 4.32;

If you write between 30 and 45 words your reliability remains the same.

If you write from 45 to 60 words, you reliability rises for 10%.

Above 60 words and it rises for 15%.

And then, the maths goes in this way...:
your score was 4.32, but the total score (not counting yours) was 6. The script calculates 6 - 4.32 = 1.68. Now this result (1.6Cool is multiplied with your reliability factor (which is 0.72) and you get

1.68 x 0.72 = 1.2096 So this result is added to your score of 4.32, which is
4.32 + 1.2096 = 5.5296 <- this is the value which will be added by you, and not 4.32 because your reliablity factor is lower than 1!

This works! Thechronic, I think you should think about this seriously!

My guess is that anyone writing above 60 words postes not a shitty dumb reply, but a thoughtful and helpful one.

The reliability will not be able to decrease more than 0.333 (one third) or increase more than 1.0;

This would help us further clearify the ratings and cut the lamers and noobies from extruding the quality indicator of the tracks.

And someone might say: "yeah right, I will have to write something on every track just to get my reliability rating in significant amount. That is shit"; Well, just to remind you, we all want our tracks to have comments right? Admit it, you juz love when you see that arrow next to the thread which indicates that someone wrote something in your track's thread! This will force people to write at lease little more than normal.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
14-08-2005 22:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Not very easy to implement. The script would need to search the post made by the voter in the database, then retrieve it and count the words. Unfortunately there are some problems with your idea:

First of all not all posts are reviews, some are answers or offtopic posts, and often people write more than 1 post in the same thread.

Another thing is that some experienced reviewers can put more meaning in 30 words than some others put in 100 words.

And people would be tempted to write as many words as possible to keep their score up, so that would generate a lot of BS Big Grin

I have a much simpler idea that would work much better for an internal voter reliability factor: just calculate the standard deviation from the median average rating for a particular track. If some users often vote in extremes their votes will have a larger deviation than for people who vote thoughtfully.

But as said several times before this is not necessary since the median calculation system ignores offshoot votes anyway.

__
15-08-2005 09:29 Homepage of thechronic
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Should the current rating system stay?