drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Kinda stupid FL Studio Question.
Go to the bottom of this page Kinda stupid FL Studio Question.
Author
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Ok, I'm not sure how many people here use FL, but I was kinda curious about the Fruity Bass Boost. I don't ever use it but I was trying to see if anyone knew how much bandwidth there was on each frequency you were trying to boost. Like for example, say I wanted to boost 60 Hz, how much of the frequencies around it would it boost as well? I only ask this cuz there's no way to adjust the bandwidth on it. Does it boost just exactly at that frequency you select? Sorry if it's a silly question.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
06-08-2005 03:49
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

i really honestly dont know, dude. you would be able to tell if it was boosting at one exact frequency, believe me. but in the help file it doesnt say anything about that. maybe it's not boosting the frequency in a conventional way?
06-08-2005 04:07
StyLespOoL

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

just sep up teh fl bass boost and put an analyzer right behind it... switch the boost on and off and youll see which frequency is boosted... better way to boost would be to use an eq, the fl bass boost does nothin else
06-08-2005 06:04
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

Good idea. Yeah, as I've stated I never use it and I don't really have any intentions of using it as I don't have any real reason to. I was more just wanting to know for my knowledge. I'm just wondering why FL included a parametric equalizer which can boost at the same frequency and can be more fine tuned on each frequency.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
06-08-2005 06:13
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

FL Bass boost plugin is a plugin which adds a little extra to the bass frequencies. Now, I analyzed it with a spectrum analyzer, and here is what I got:

when set on 80 Hz (kick freq) and without touching the Amount (about 70%)
the bandwith is about 50Hz + and -, about the frequency you have set.

Look at the pic:

the horisontal green line shows the peak of the bass line without the bass boost, and its about 75Hz, -21dB.
the vertical green line presents the frequency of the bass boost, about 80Hz.

On the second pic you can notice dramatic increase in the peak, which is about 6dB above the peak without the bass boost plugin.

I also draw a red line which represents the rest of the spectrum up to 1000Hz, and you can see that there is no difference.
The yellow lines represent the sound wave immediately up in the frequencies to the peak - the second pic shows that there is some increase, but very low - 3dB or so.

So the main increase is from 30Hz to 130Hz. Considering the frequency of the plugin was set up on 80Hz, that gives +50Hz and -50Hz increase around the set up frequency.

There, hope that helped Smile

Muad'Dib has attached this image (reduced version):
spectrum_analyze.jpg

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-08-2005 13:32 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

I don't like using it in any way. I'd rather just eq thse freqeuncies.

__

06-08-2005 13:50 Homepage of Emblem-X
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

essencial that's what bassboost is, an eq for just the bottem end. PSP MixBass works good also for warming the bottem-end.

for a tight, warm, bottem-end.

sounds wrong.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

06-08-2005 16:42 Homepage of Halph-Price
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
essencial that's what bassboost is, an eq for just the bottem end. PSP MixBass works good also for warming the bottem-end.

for a tight, warm, bottem-end.

sounds wrong.
ROFL

thanks Muad'Dib for the analysis. What a pointless plugin really if I say so myself. Maybe it's just there for memory saving or just people who don't wanna fuss with deep bass adjustments. But thanks again. Bigup

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
06-08-2005 16:52
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

it is from the Legacy of FL, which did suck memory on the OLD computers. now it's a walk in the park. a lot of the aspects are for cpu saving ablities. like the pre-comptued "legacy" effects that are avalibe for each sampler track if you turn it on.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-08-2005 17:21.

06-08-2005 17:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Kinda stupid FL Studio Question.