drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » NI ReaKtor
Go to the bottom of this page NI ReaKtor
Author
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

OK so ive been reading on this one for a little bit. Anyone use it ? Is it all everyone says it is .?

Ive been looking at it and i know you can design your own synths with it .. but is it strictly a VST/Dx plugin or can it be used as a stand alone?

Can you save the instruments you make in it to execute on thier own or is strictly limited to inside the machine per se ...

thanks

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Arkitekt: 23-07-2005 00:27.

23-07-2005 00:24 Homepage of Arkitekt
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

reaktor is absolutely amazing. it may actually be the only softsynth u ever need.
it's vst/dx and standalone too.
the instruments u make....im not sure if u can save them as vsts if that's what you're saying...but u can save them as ensembles and trade them with other people who have reaktor, sure.
but reaktor is awesome, if u can get it get it. some people will probly be able to go more indepth than me tho...
23-07-2005 00:48
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

Sweet bro thanks for the quick response

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
23-07-2005 01:14 Homepage of Arkitekt
@1$-)
unregistered
i use version 4.....and yes its everything people say it is...but it takes a lot of patience and time to learn.....ive got more in depth with absytnh to be honest.because its much quicker......but the third party ensembles you can get for reactor are usually top notch..check the electronic instruments add ons as well.....it runs stand alone and as vsti...i just downloaded the demo of v5....looks even better.theyve finally sorted out the intrface.....
23-07-2005 01:25
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Reaktor is the best piece of software Ive ever used. Admitedly its far from intuitive but if you have a grasp of modular design then building your own synths will be fairly straight forward.
Ive been using it since version 2.3 and it was amazing then, but version 5 is just outstanding.
I'll try to explain the basics.
The program works on 4 different levels.(Reaktor 5 works on 5)
First you have modules, these are the basic building blocks for the program, for example a sine wave oscillator or an evelope genarator.
Next you have Macros. A macro is built up from modules, for example a filter module, an evelope genarator and a gate, and youve got a filter with an ADSH. The main use for these is that you wont have a mess of modules wired all over the place which can get very confusing.
Next you have Instuments, These are a collection of Macros which forms your main synth or whatever youve made.
For example, a macro containing oscilators, a macro containing a filter and envelope genarator, a macro containg an LFO, and a macro containing your main ADSH, a fully working synth albeit a simple one.
Finally you have Ensembles, this is where you connect all the instruments together. So you could have a drum machine going through a compressor and a sequenced synth going through a reverb.
Finally you can create a Panel for your instruments. This is where all the controls go and you can move them around to get the desired layout, change colours etc, and even import picture files to give your instruments a visual element.
I hope this is helpful, Ive barely scratched the surface of what you can do here, like grain cloud synthesis or synths controlled by samples or even the effects, but it all depends on how deep you want to go.(I recently finished a piece which is entirely genarative as in writes itself, all I did was give it the sounds and of it goes)
The program does come with pre made instruments which are way above the standard of other VSTs, and you get a shedload of them too. It might seem like a lot of money for a VST but you get more than just one synth or effect PLUS the option to design your own.
If you do get Reaktor and need some advice, or simply have more questions, shoot me a PM and I'll help as best I can
23-07-2005 02:07
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

sweet, i dont know much about the was y things are but i learn REALLY quickly and shouldnt have too much of a problem ...

thanks for the in depth review uses explanation ...

i will definitly hit you up somettime soon

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
23-07-2005 02:17 Homepage of Arkitekt
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

I have to say that Reaktor is one of the most time consuming progs i have EVER used ... i havent got anything down in it yet, mainly just fuckin around and tearing apart other ensembles to get a look at how the shit is done ...

but it looks like all i will ever need..

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
24-07-2005 15:19 Homepage of Arkitekt
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

my reply to everyone who says:
"REAKTOR IS DA SHIT, IT ALL U NEED! EVERYTHING IT DOES!"

i think that it takes too much time to make a synth from scratch when there are a lot of them done better and more detailed.

i want to make music not ensambles.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-07-2005 20:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I apreciate what your saying, but I do genuinely enjoy building my own synths and the sense of satisfaction is huge when you made a killer synth and made a sick bass tone with it.
Its the same as people who dont like using drum loops and would much prefer to program their own, its give a greater feeling of acheivment and originality. I do however, feel that the standard of the instruments, the infinite posibilities, and the quality of sound acheivable with Reaktor is more than superior to most other VST's.
I see what your saying about wanting to make music, not ensembles. but I feel that experimentation in Reaktor can be as intrinsic to make a tune as collecting samples any other way. I dont know if youve ever heard of Richard Devine, he writes glitchy electronica stuff, but he'll spend ages on a tune from simply compiling and creating all of his sounds (using, amongst other things Reaktor), before he has even sat at a sequencer. I apreciate that Synth and sound design is not for everyone, but others make a career out of it. Take Rob Papin for example.
But I guess its horses for courses. Some prefer the instant hit of making a tune, while others prefer to dwell on an idea and gradually create the sounds needed to realize that idea.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TechDiff: 25-07-2005 01:15.

25-07-2005 01:14
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

you really gotta have patience for it...
but i for one would say it's worth it.
25-07-2005 04:29
@1$-)
unregistered
the big difference is really in how it sounds.....wether your tweaking presets or building your own......there are others out there which do the same thing and are a lot less complicated.....but reaktor, like most of the NI stuff just sounds better. (they should gimme a job, i sound like a salesman)
25-07-2005 12:55
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
I apreciate what your saying, but I do genuinely enjoy building my own synths and the sense of satisfaction is huge when you made a killer synth and made a sick bass tone with it.
Its the same as people who dont like using drum loops and would much prefer to program their own, its give a greater feeling of acheivment and originality. I do however, feel that the standard of the instruments, the infinite posibilities, and the quality of sound acheivable with Reaktor is more than superior to most other VST's.
I see what your saying about wanting to make music, not ensembles. but I feel that experimentation in Reaktor can be as intrinsic to make a tune as collecting samples any other way. I dont know if youve ever heard of Richard Devine, he writes glitchy electronica stuff, but he'll spend ages on a tune from simply compiling and creating all of his sounds (using, amongst other things Reaktor), before he has even sat at a sequencer. I apreciate that Synth and sound design is not for everyone, but others make a career out of it. Take Rob Papin for example.
But I guess its horses for courses. Some prefer the instant hit of making a tune, while others prefer to dwell on an idea and gradually create the sounds needed to realize that idea.

i don't think i could make better synths. it's not like there's something revolutionary. i mean it's a ADSR, OSC, and Envalope. not like it takes inginuity and originality to do that. i could just use the ARP or something... that's how old? nothing that new comes out from the synth world, wavetables have to be the latest thing, and to get an orignal sound you don't need to program it from the base up, just a different .wav file.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-07-2005 14:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

WEll i for one enjoy the idea of being abole to custom build a synth/effect to my specs...

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
25-07-2005 20:59 Homepage of Arkitekt
Bobby Dangerous Bobby Dangerous is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

"darkside"

Agreed Bigup

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Bobby Dangerous: 27-07-2005 01:53.

27-07-2005 01:52
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » NI ReaKtor