drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Tracklength
Poll: How long are most of your tracks ?
5-6 min 7 46.67%
4-5 min 4 26.67%
<6 min 4 26.67%
2-3 min 0 0.00%
3-4 min 0 0.00%
Total: 15 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Tracklength
Author
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

I'm interested how long you make your tracks and what's the + / - of it...
21-07-2005 22:51
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

mine are all atleast 5min..

btw < is less than Cool

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
22-07-2005 01:32 Homepage of wreakon
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

6 mins plus...its part of dj structure...but depends on teh bpm you produce at as well...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

22-07-2005 03:34
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by reckon
mine are all atleast 5min..

btw < is less than Cool

Thanx for the remark mathematic boy Tongue
22-07-2005 10:37
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Normally around 6 minutes myself.
22-07-2005 10:41
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I dont like to set a target for length of a tune. If you wanna make a track thats 6 mins long and run out of ideas at 4, the last 2 minutes will be dull and uninspiring. I prefer to keep going till I run out of ideas or start to get bored with the tune. This means Ive got stuff as short as 2 minutes, and as long as 12. But I guess the majority are around 5-6 minutes. But if its in a mix set, after around 3 minutes the DJ will be mixing anyway, meaning that anything after that is almost pointless. Its one thing that bothers me, whats wrong with a 10 minutes epic? If its got enough variation it should be played to the full. In the same way that concept albums should be listened as a whole otherwise the context is wrong. Just seems as though your limited to 3 minutes and all your ideas have got to be crammed into a small timeframe.
22-07-2005 11:35
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Mostly slightly over 6 minutes, sometimes up to 8, but that's rather rare...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-07-2005 14:44 Homepage of Surya
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

I hit about 5 - 6 minutes ... not that i set in my mind thats what im going for i usually lose interest in a tune at about the 4 - 6 minute range ...

and as was stated before most of the djs wil be mixing out at that point any way ... .

Bigup

nice poll tho

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
22-07-2005 17:33 Homepage of Arkitekt
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
If you wanna make a track thats 6 mins long and run out of ideas at 4, the last 2 minutes will be dull and uninspiring. I prefer to keep going till I run out of ideas or start to get bored with the tune.
My thoughts exactly. TechDiff pretty much summed it up for me. I get bored with my tracks sometimes quickly so I may just end up finding a way to cut it out shortly after I hit this point resulting in shorter than normal tracks. I don't like to go with the standard 6-7 minutes. I prefer to just do what I feel good with as most of my tracks are just images of what I would like to hear or at least an attempt of what I'd like to hear and not soo much worrying of whether my next tune is gonna rinse a crowd out.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
23-07-2005 05:19

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by optikassassin
quote:
If you wanna make a track thats 6 mins long and run out of ideas at 4, the last 2 minutes will be dull and uninspiring. I prefer to keep going till I run out of ideas or start to get bored with the tune.
My thoughts exactly. TechDiff pretty much summed it up for me. I get bored with my tracks sometimes quickly so I may just end up finding a way to cut it out shortly after I hit this point resulting in shorter than normal tracks. I don't like to go with the standard 6-7 minutes. I prefer to just do what I feel good with as most of my tracks are just images of what I would like to hear or at least an attempt of what I'd like to hear and not soo much worrying of whether my next tune is gonna rinse a crowd out.

you guys have to keep in mind that those last 2 mins are going to be uninspiring...DUH ITS NORMAL TRACK STRUCTURE...

djs are gonna be mixing out at that point and no one really hears the last 2 mins anyway...6-8 minutes is standard...again as said before...depending on teh bpm of the track...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

23-07-2005 06:50
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:
quote:

you guys have to keep in mind that those last 2 mins are going to be uninspiring...DUH ITS NORMAL TRACK STRUCTURE...

djs are gonna be mixing out at that point and no one really hears the last 2 mins anyway...6-8 minutes is standard...again as said before...depending on teh bpm of the track...

I DON'T CARE ABOUT DJS, I WANT MY TRACK TO BE LISTENABE BY ITS OWN, NOT IN THE MIX..

if a dj is sooooo good, he can mix my track,
if he's not, how in the hell did he get my track anyway?!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-07-2005 14:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:
quote:

well then get a taste of reality and realise no one is going to then buy your track or listen to it...those are jsut facts...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

23-07-2005 17:34
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I don't care if someone buys my track or not, I make the music for all of you for free... that's why I'm here anyway.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-07-2005 18:25 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Tracklength