drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » R2.5 rewire to cubasesx1 mastering help
Go to the bottom of this page R2.5 rewire to cubasesx1 mastering help
Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Could someone give me some direction on the mixing down and mastering reason in cubase process. I'm also trying to find out common uses/set ups. i just don't know where to start.
for examlpe: should I send all of my reason songs' insruments to individual rewire channs and basically recontruct th song in cubase. Or would it be better to send groups (pads,perc,bass,fx)
to differnt rewire channels.
Here's a hypothetical example of what I would like to accopmlish.
..................... 1. I start putting together a track in reason. I decide that drums need a more
...........................personal touch, so I slice up some hits/beats in recylcle.

.......................2. I decide that the guitar sample isn't working and I'd rather play it live/maybe
...........................edit the recording with the ''best take'' in cubase sx.

.......................3. add my own vocal hook ''USA drum n' bass in yo face''. lol

.......................4. efficiently organize and ''mixdown'' all this funky trash in cubase.(this is
......................... where I start getting !@#@$^%$%$#%^ lost/stumped/fustrated).

.......................5. efficiently mastering these different audio/midi sources to get an intimatly original, professional sounding track.( I'm also unclear about this part of the process)

I understand eqing & sound separation & levels,and I'm pretty compitent with mixing and ''mastering'' in reason. I'm looking for a "basic process'' to accomplishing these tasks between reas. & cubase. I DO read the manuals... I just need some direction, a ''road map''. Ofcourse any info I get will be taken as begining ''GUIDELINES'' and I WILL expirement further and draw my own ''roadmaps'' to understanding how these progs can be used together.
Any replies or future disscusions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 16-07-2005 02:39.

16-07-2005 02:34
@1$-)
unregistered
lol.
ok im just gonna lay out what i do......take it or leave it.

first up.....i lay down the basics in reason, .....beats....maybe some samples...but for synths ill usually wait until im cubase..and then use either absynth, or reaktor......or whatever takes my fancy.lol....depends on my mood.

ill always rewire everything to an individual track.....unless im using lots of tracks...in which case ill mainly wire just the main parts.i.e kicks n snare.......the ghost hits , percussion etc . usually everything will sound better if it has its own individual channel...you know you should treat cubase like you would in an olde recording session....because everything would have its own place on the desk! but due to cpu and ram this cant always be the case.....thats why you mixdown. for mixing - down dont forget to solo the bits you want....and place the loop marker at the beginning and end of the parts you ant to mixdown.

as for mastering...dont worry about it!!!!!!! just worry about getting your mix sounding right.....any label worth its salt will offer to have your tracks mastered if they want to put them out......or you can get mastering done fairly cheaply and professionaly these days...good enuff to press anyway. (see either the chronic!!! or do a google search for audioplexus!!!).

and remember with eq its not just about boosting its about cutting the frequencies as well.......the object is to have everything in the right place....dont make it cluttered or muddy.....you will find the better you become at this the less sounds you will need to use.....everything will be more defined and balanced.

yeh all i can say is give everything its own space.....easier said than done.....but thats where the fun is. remember there is no one way to achieve "perfect" sound....its very much subjective.......but someone once said to me "whats the point in achieving the perfect mix??? there would be no point in doing another one!!"
16-07-2005 02:51
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Good tips thanks. I totally agree with the 'subtractive eq point you made. Less is usually more.
There just seems to be a lot of talk about 'mastering'' in cubase, and I was alil' unsure about this process. as far as sending individual reason devices to separate rewire channs do you tend to maintain the reason arrangement and tweak it in cubase or just bounce the loops to cubase and do most of the arranging there. then add effects, set levels eq etc. etc.?

__
SAVE THE SL1200
16-07-2005 03:19
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe
Good tips thanks. I totally agree with the 'subtractive eq point you made. Less is usually more.
There just seems to be a lot of talk about 'mastering'' in cubase, and I was alil' unsure about this process. as far as sending individual reason devices to separate rewire channs do you tend to maintain the reason arrangement and tweak it in cubase or just bounce the loops to cubase and do most of the arranging there. then add effects, set levels eq etc. etc.?

i do the basic arrangement in reason and then wire indiviually in cubase....then use fx like waves...or nomad blue tubes to tweak....cubase audio architecture is better than reasons....its like the difference between (i cant believe im saying this again,.....must be the 5th time this week) an emu sampler and an akai sampler.....its subtle but it is different....

ill just arrange and gather the parts in reason......then add the more pro sounds from third party syyths in cubase, then do the mix, add the special automation tweeks and more pro sounding stuff in cubase.
16-07-2005 03:29
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

also, aside from using some different VSTIs/vsts' and having audio tracks whats the piont of rewiring to reason if I shouldn't bother trying to "master"? (I currently only have the default vsts'
for cubase sx1 and I hate its drum machine.) Why would I bother setting up individual rewire channs for reason devices. are the chann eqs' in cubase that much better and if so should you bother to eq the the sounds in reason at all before you bounce those tracks to cubase?

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 16-07-2005 03:39.

16-07-2005 03:38
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

so you're sayin' that you use reason like a rack of VSTs do lil' arranging, bounce, and pretty much the rest of the time just use cubase for those ''better quality'' finishing touches.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
16-07-2005 03:45
@1$-)
unregistered
i use reason mainly for programming my beats....and occasionaly for triggering some samples........

as for cubase...it will alwyas sound better if you rewire to it......but.....you really want some high quality thied party plug ins to go with in my opinion.....waves gold or diamond bundles for example....
16-07-2005 03:48
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

are these pluggin's expensive or free? It doesn't really matter but I will be short for awhile.
(car accident dislocated hip, life flighted,hosp.bills blahblahblah)

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 16-07-2005 04:02.

16-07-2005 04:01
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe
are these pluggin's expensive or free? It doesn't really matter but I will be short for awhile.
(car accident dislocated hip, life flighted,hosp.bills blahblahblah)

er....nooo their not free..very expensive.......especially waves

although some would say their free if you know the right places to look. but i couldnt condone that sort of thing. Big Grin
16-07-2005 04:04
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh BTW, freedom fighters fight er, terror yeah thats it terror. "We're gonna Smoke 'em out!"
(fart) lol

__
SAVE THE SL1200
16-07-2005 04:06
@1$-)
unregistered
?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 16-07-2005 04:12.

16-07-2005 04:12
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

And if buying drugs supports terrorism, then what does buying shares in ''defense" contractors
(like lockheed or carlisle) do?

__
SAVE THE SL1200
16-07-2005 04:15
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks munki c for the tips, they're helping me to see some organization and usefullness in the reason RW cubase set up.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
16-07-2005 04:26
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Confused

__
SAVE THE SL1200
19-07-2005 12:26
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » R2.5 rewire to cubasesx1 mastering help