drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Plugins » waves mastering
Go to the bottom of this page waves mastering
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

I've been wondering for some things for a while now.

1. What is IDR? - can you use it on single tracks or is it just for mastering?

2. Quantize - is it just converting from a higher bit rate to 16 bit for burning a cd?

3. Dither - I don't have a clue about this one... what is it?

4. Shaping - some kind of noiseshaping? Why would you like to add noise to your tunes?

5. Out ceiling - just a master volyme?

6. Atten - just showing when the limiter reduces gain?

I have the diamond bundle and it is totally confusing. There are to many limiters and compressors to get the grip of. Which do you use? Which is the best for mastering?

Actually I saw a internet page where they compared different noiseshapings here: http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/dither.htm
no value to me as I don't know what it does really

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Abnormalbrain: 15-07-2005 23:15.

15-07-2005 23:03 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

This pdf-file does some pretty good explanation on quantizing and dither:
http://www.dspguide.com/ch3.htm

It's from the dspguide, a pretty good free book if you want to learn basic dsp.

I would have to look for the other ones a bit but tonight it are "Gentse Feesten".

edit: wave shaping actually could be seen as a form of distortion. Take a look at this:

http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~tamaras/waveshapin..._Synthesis.html
(look at figure 4 for a quick understanding)
and at this free plugin from smartelectronix:
http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=3

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daemon79: 15-07-2005 23:32.

15-07-2005 23:19
@1$-)
unregistered
well i use the gold bundle.........
i mainly use the l1 ultramaximizer......on the master channel...
the audiotrack compressors on individual channels.......
the q10 eqs on channels where i need to cut certain frequencies.
the mondo mod.....on pads for movement......
enigma for anything strange......
the stereo imager on the master channel as well.......or any individual channel which needs to be exactly placed.

i use the l1.....so it doesnt give many of these options......
but the out ceiling is the maximum out put it will allow.....so it will cut the loudest signal off at this point....so this is basically the loudest signal it will allow through........which is great for volume.....although it can squeeze the dynamics out of a track very easily........
15-07-2005 23:25
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

bet chrnoic could tell you better or anyone else with some good experince, but even then, doubt they use digital.

don't know

2. Quantize - is it just converting from a higher bit rate to 16 bit for burning a cd?

it could be for DOWN sampling, actually, so this is probably a master limiter.

this makes the silence or quieter parts of lower bit sampled works have a slight, fuzz... basicly, if you use a downsampler, you get that gritty distortion, this clears it up, and makes it just smoother and less noticable. kinda subjective.

4. Shaping - some kind of noiseshaping? Why would you like to add noise to your tunes?

this is the nise added by dither, since it IS subjective there is a choice, so you can taloir it to what you think sounds the most pleaseing. i have heared that soething running the sound through noiseshaping more than once can sound better, again, subjective.

it's the space between odb and how high ou ant it too be, usually just -3db, or even -1db best to have it at at least -1db, because even 0db can have ill effect on some cd walkman's or the like.

this is probably the brickwall part, that will not allow the sound to go above that, no matter what. where as the thresh hold is just when it applies the reduction, jus to give it a smoother sound.

ya, when it goes over threshold....

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

16-07-2005 01:33 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

no idea, is not a commonly used term, probably some fancy name thought up by the people who made the plugin.

yep, quantizing is a term used for having audio chopped up in bits. Going either from analog to digital, or from a higher number of bits to a lower number of bits.

Dithering is adding a small amount of noise to the digital signal when downsampling from a higher number of bits to a lower number of bits. This helps averaging out rounding errors, so you actually get a more accurate 16-bit signal out of a 24-bit source. You can really gain a couple of bits in a 16-bit signal using this technique even though this might sound impossible. I can explain it in detail if you are interested in how it works.

This is the 'shape' that is used for the dither noise. There are several standards in dither noise, some people prefer one type, some people another. Generally it does not make much difference which type you chose. Pick the one that you think sounds the best.
The amount of dither noise that is added is minimal and can only be noticed when you play back the signal with top class equipment.

This is usually set just below 0dBFS, to -0.1dBFS or -0.3dBFS to stop digital meters from displaying overs. Some old or cheap meters show an over when the signal peaks at 0.0dBFS. Setting the ceiling lower ensures the signal never reaches 0.0dBFS so it will not trigger the peak display.

Yes this shows the amount of gain reduction that takes place.

PS the diamond bundle is the best plugin set that is currently available, it sells for $7000, but for that price I'd rather buy a couple of decent analog processors.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
16-07-2005 04:16 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i'd rateher a few hookers.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

16-07-2005 05:02 Homepage of Halph-Price
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
i'd rateher a few hookers.

A few hookers? They must be expensive where you live. Shocked
16-07-2005 18:33
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Daemon79 - thanks for the links. I printed the whole chapter from the book. It seems like it is a bit to complicated to understand. What is for example LSB?

thechronic - Nice answer, Bigup - I'll be grateful if you can explain it in detail. And buying a couple of *decent* analog processors is not an alternative couse I haven't got the money.
What is a rounding error?

PS *All my money went to a bunch of fucki'n great hookerZz* hahaha!! 'Dude!' Pleased

__
16-07-2005 19:48 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

least significant bit
http://www.answers.com/topic/least-significant-bit

I'll try to explain it for this context: Imagine you have a signal with a max amplitude of 1000mV (milliVolt) and a 8-bit ADC

8bit means you can have 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 256 different values. So in volts your values will be
1) 1000 / 256 = 3.90625 mV
2) 2* 1000/256 = 7.8125 mV
3) 3* 1000/256 = 11.71875 mV

But in the digital world there can be no values between these numbers this is what wel call the quantization error. The pdf says that the maximum error can be 1/2 LSB (= in this case 1.953125 mV) For instance if a signal is 9.765625 (just between 2) and 3) you will have an error of 1/2 LSB.

You only needed to print the first 5 pages from the book. If you want to read the whole chapter it might be more interesting to start from the beginning of the book (www.dspguide.com) unless you already now about statistics, deviation,...

Ignore my text about shaping it's about something completely different. thechronic does a good explanation about it.

IDR means Increased Digital Resolution it's probably some smart technology to make the resolution from the original wave higher by looking to the general shape of the wave and not just interpolating between two points. My guess it's something similar to the Pixel Plus technology from Philips (but then for audio).
17-07-2005 15:16
qzn qzn is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 09-11-2004

IDR = increased digital resolution.This allows optimal results when going from a 24-bit source to a 16-bit CD audio stream. It is to assure that the noise is as inaudible as possible.

It is the quantize level for desired output (24,22,20,19 or 16-bit).

It is the 2 types od IDR dithers you can select :
- type 1 gives no nonlinear distortion with optimatl dither
- type 2 is lower dither level with some level distortion.

Type 1 is the recommend choice for use with 20-bit and 16-bit file processing.

It is to decrease the perceived amount of noise.
Normal is the recommended option.

It is the output of the peak limiter. By default this is 0.0 dB or the full digital scale. The recommended value is -0.2 dB to avoid digital clipping

That shows the overall summed attenuation applied.You have to use your ears here to know until which value you can go

I hope it helps you a little bit more...

__
= QZN =

WEBSITE
HOME PRODUCTIONS
My Space
12-11-2005 22:32 Homepage of qzn
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks for the answer!! I don't really understand everything, but you guys have been giving me really satisfying answers!!

__
20-11-2005 13:26 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Plugins » waves mastering