drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » HELP: I need advice on a good quality program to write tunes
Go to the bottom of this page HELP: I need advice on a good quality program to write tunes
Author
2ginger

Registration Date: 05-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.20

im pretty much a noob here so bare with me...
ive been making tunes since i was around 10 using music on the playstation 1 to start off with... i carried on through to mtv music generator 2 on the ps2 and since then (around 3 years ago) i moved onto reason which opened up alot if you compare the two...
anyway i thought i had my sound quality sussed and had learned most there is know about reason... and now i hear of other programs such as cubase and logic that can produce tracks that wee over my tunes... ive never heard of them til recently... so i need advice on a good quality program to write tunes... bear in mind that i dont agree with using samples and like to create everything from scratch...
if youve listened to my tracks ive uploaded on here, you will know im capable of a good structure to a track, and that i know fairly well how to make a track lightside or darkside...
but im determined to do whatever it takes to make tracks as good a quality as you guys... so help me out here Frown

[EDIT by muaddib: renamed tune subject because of clarity]
09-07-2005 19:29
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

you can go further with reason.. but if you are dissapointed with it's soundquality then you can rewire it to cubase.. I found reason easy to use once you get the hang of it, didnt really do that rewiring thing yet...

personally Im a little pissed of by people nagging about reason having bad soundquality.. majority of them would just use it as an excuse if theyre tunes suck... I mean, have you checked surya's tracks here on the site??? he does it 100% in reason... so it could be done..

what the point of rewiring offers is the possibility to use vst effects (since reason doesnt support them) in eg. cubase..

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
09-07-2005 19:44 Homepage of cynik
Tonedef Tonedef is a male
2ginger

Helpfulness rating: 

im cool with the sound quality in reason.. its just not everyone likes it.. people saying its got crap synths and absynth ect is loads better..
your probably right i still ahave a lot to learn with reason... are there any guides to tell how it all works... because ive taught myself the whole way and maybe ive missed a few things out
09-07-2005 19:49
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

for wanting to do it from scratch, ya reason's easy to learn, and is entirely your own.

but for the sound quality issues, that he's talking about, it's simple. just save the sounds and use a program like Adobe audition or something, thooes sound mixing programs. you can get good quality sound, infact the exact sound you want, if you have the time, with reason.

also there's Reaktor but this would be the more advanced version of Reason.

REASON

REAKTOR

having used both of these programs, i can tell you they have amazing quality. better than that of Fruity Loops.

cubase and logic are bit more fiddly to use hell if i can give you any advice to use them personally. but fromt he direction you're coming from thoes programs could probably help you out.

Reason 3 is my suggestion to you, nice synths. i suggest you look into the ethics of samples though, don't bind yourself from creativity, simply because someon made the sounds, you can just scramble them up. samples are no different than any other osscilator, just more sounds.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-07-2005 19:53 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by 2ginger
im cool with the sound quality in reason.. its just not everyone likes it.. people saying its got crap synths and absynth ect is loads better..
your probably right i still ahave a lot to learn with reason... are there any guides to tell how it all works... because ive taught myself the whole way and maybe ive missed a few things out

yeah, absynth you mentioned eats maelstrom and subtractor for lunch...

you can do what I do: since absynth 3 is a standalone (dont know about earlier versions) fire it up just to create a sound... then use it in reason.. you dont use samples.. I guess you mean cutted parts of other tracks, music etc. thats fine, but nothings wrong with using one-shot samples especially if they are made by you..

and scream 4 is a badass motherf00ker Big Grin

__
09-07-2005 19:56 Homepage of cynik
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
better than that of Fruity Loops.

you finaly admit it Big Grin

__
09-07-2005 19:59 Homepage of cynik
Tonedef Tonedef is a male
2ginger

Helpfulness rating: 

cheers for the advice... ive just upgraded to reason 3 a few weeks ago and theres a bunch o stuff like the combinator that im looking into at the moment..
il try absynth to make samples.... sounds like a good idea...
and rewiring to cubase.. interesting.. this is all new to me.. very exciting... ta Bigup
09-07-2005 20:00
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
quote:
better than that of Fruity Loops.

you finaly admit it Big Grin

oh i have know for a long time, but you may notice i do lo-fi so... lo-fi is fruity loops. some other band i know with lofi sound used fruity loops and like Pro Tools FREE or something... and there guitar too maybe.... bah. i like fruity loops to much to quite now.

easy to make up samples, and use my army of vst's and cut up samples easier tahn anything.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 10-07-2005 18:24.

10-07-2005 18:23 Homepage of Halph-Price
@1$-)
unregistered
absynth 2 is stand- a- lone as well....i highly recommend it.....
yeh the sound quality in reason is ok...but its not as good as either logic or cubase......like ive said a billion times already.......its subtle but it is noticeable.....kind of like the difference between an akai and an emu sampler (my favourite words of the moment! Big Grin )
but the best reason to re wire.is because you can use high quality plug ins such as waves, psp or things like nomads blue tubes fx.....you will seriously notice the difference compared to the reverbs, delays, modulation and compressors that you get with reason.....its another level......and thats not even mentioning vst instruments.
download some demos from
www.nativeinstruments.com

personal favourites are absynth and reaktor.....check out version 5 its a monster.
10-07-2005 19:38
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
kind of like the difference between an akai and an emu sampler

Which is better?
10-07-2005 20:42
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
kind of like the difference between an akai and an emu sampler

Which is better?

well thats not really my point.....its just that they sound different.only slightly...its liek the difference between cubase and logic....or fruity and reason.....i look at fruity and reason being at the same level.then youve got cubase n logic, then pro tools and maybe digital performer as well...
its a sound thing.......

lol. and yeh most peeps say that emu are better because of their z plane filters......but some say akais are more reliable......ive only used an akai and i got pretty pissed of with it quickly.....lots of fackin around wuth floppy disks.....and you have pay for extra memory because they dont always come with a lot...
10-07-2005 20:49
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

quote:

REASON

REAKTOR

having used both of these programs, i can tell you they have amazing quality. better than that of Fruity Loops.

I've lissened to them and I can tell you that I think fruityloops sounds better. Hard to discribe the differences but I think Fl studio sounds better. Then you can add VSTs in Fl, such as psp, waves, and then you get a really proffessional sound. I haven't tried to rewire Fl studio yet, but I shure will. I have read a lot about this and it seems that rewiring Fl or reason is the thing.

I don't know if "the prodegy" rewires reason, but I do know that their new album is made by reason. Then it's mixed in protools. I've also seen a movie about the man that mastered Eric clapton's Crossroads concert. He said that everybody uses protools but he thought that nuendo sounded better.
http://www.steinbergusers.com/nuendo/nuendo_vguides.php

quote:

oh i have know for a long time, but you may notice i do lo-fi so... lo-fi is fruity loops. some other band i know with lofi sound used fruity loops and like Pro Tools FREE or something... and there guitar too maybe.... bah. i like fruity loops to much to quite now.

easy to make up samples, and use my army of vst's and cut up samples easier tahn anything.

Bullshit! I've used fruityloops for a long time and it's certanly not lo-fi.

2ginger - If I where you I would go on using reason but rewire it to nuendo. Then i would get som nice plugins couse these in reason sucks pretty much. Yes there are a few that can be used sometimes, and I know that peaple likes the distortion unit but reverb/eq/compressor/etc are better with hi8gh quality VSTs. Get for example waves, antares, sonalksis.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
10-07-2005 21:59 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
@1$-)
unregistered
yeh the prodigy used reason ....but they didnt use the sounds from reason....they recorded all their hardware and then just used reason as the sequencer.....then exported everything to pro tools for mixing and beefing it up
10-07-2005 22:26
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

yeah liam said he liked to get ideas from doin things in reason on his laptop when he was out of the studio, but...would you rather use the prodigy's hardware setup or reason to make a track?
i didn't like that album tho...
and i wouldnt go so far to say FL is lo-fi...but if you just use its built in vsts and nothing else, your songs wont quite cut it, sure.
replace the setup with a platinum set of vsts and you got it good.
and on the akai and emu...akai's are supposed to be better for drums and emu for bass, is what i've heard, the emu's have a punchier low end apparently...i've personally only tried out an akai but i believe my sources.
11-07-2005 02:33
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i decided to go reason rewire to cubase sx(cause I couldn't afford logic atm)

__
SAVE THE SL1200
19-07-2005 13:46
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:

Do you mean sound quality? If so here's an interesting page for you.

Sampler anti-aliasing and pitch-shifting comparison

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gls: 20-07-2005 02:35.

20-07-2005 02:30
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Fruity Loops studio is also a quality program for producing. I started with it 2 years before and I never dumped it - I keep producing in it.

The main pros of FL (fruity loops):

extremely easy for usage, while keeping pro quality
good sound quality
extra-low CPU usage
good FX handling
Fruity Slicer: it slices rhytms and beats perfectly and finds their BPM (bits per miinute)
sometimes it turns me on ( Hihi )

main cons:
not exactly studio quality sound
bad synthesizers
kinda forced usage of samples instead of instruments
can't satisfy myself on THAT way with it Frown

web page: http://www.flstudio.com/

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
20-07-2005 12:47 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I think that Fruity is severly under rated.
The in built synths are shite but you can still get some descent sound out of them if you work at it.
And the sound quality is only slightly less than that of Logic etc. but really not noticable.
Reason is ok but far to restrictive. The lack of vst support is laughable and no matter what you do with reason, it still sounds like reason. FL sounds like whatever you put into it. I disagree with the LoFi thing and I feel that in terms of sound quality that its far superior to reason. Its taken till version 3 for any real smooth sub to be obtainable, plus FL is far more user friendly. I hate when you have a jungle of patch cords hanging out the back of reason making it impossible to find the conection your looking for. The same can be acheived in Logic using a menu, its almost logical.
But my real gripe with reason is that it always sounds like reason.
But my gripe with fruity is the lack of Full VST support.
I reakon stick with reason if youre used to it. but get yourself some stand alone VSTs to sample for more sounic variation.
But if your feeling bold, Logic is the daddy. Its got amazing built in synths, Full Vst support and imaculate sound quality. Does take some getting used to though.
I terms of Vsts, Absynth and Reaktor 5 will keep you happy for years. Ive been using Reaktor since version 2.3 and Ive got bored with that. But version 5 takes the piss. It is unreal !!!!!.
20-07-2005 18:44
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by cynik

personally Im a little pissed of by people nagging about reason having bad soundquality...

fully agree....
reason can sound just as good as other programs u just need to stick at it and work the thing out inside out.
have a listen to my tunes on site.....
listen to them and see what you think (i'm not trying to saying that i'm amazing just seeing if that improves your veiws on reason quality).....
i'v only used reason.

the only problem i have is that it would be good to have a beter range of effects and synths.
get bored with the same 'ol chorus and phaser

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

23-07-2005 21:43 Homepage of D2o
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

@ TechDiff

I don't think there's is any reason to dis -erm- Reason.
It sounds just fine...
To be honest, it sounds just as fine as any other program or whatever. It's the samples that make the difference. Some refill's do lack soundquality.
And so what... rewire Reason thru some other host, et voila, upwards with the soundquality and VST(i)-integration.
I was trying not to be subjective, since i've been using Reason for quite some time now but i still think it's just THE MAX (extremely user-friendly, intuitive, easy, blah blah blah)
If it sounds bad, then you'd probably overlooked some detail .. Tongue
True: the FX aren't that great, but that's where the rewire protocol comes in.
Hell, i would even have the Reason-symbol tattooed on my right cheeck, so i can get into some fight and tell my opponent "Hit me here -pointing at my rightcheeck- cuz this Motha can take a lot!"
Btw: you do know that LOT's of professional producers out there use Reason??

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
23-07-2005 22:18 Homepage of Soi
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » HELP: I need advice on a good quality program to write tunes