drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Losing the fight
Go to the bottom of this page Losing the fight
Author

Registration Date: 01-07-2005

Its producer help so here goes...cos this is a mental one!

ive been producing tunes for about 5 years, there really isnt much i dont know about reason and cubase i know enough to combine the two and get some really good bits out of it.of course my love is jungle dnb. Cry Cry

Ive had a couple of bits put out on vinyl but ive found that alot of my stuff is getting an amazing response when played in the clubs by my mates who have slots but when we send to the top guys there is no or little feedback.

I know its a big scene now but sometimes it gets me frustrated as i feel like im always taking 1 step forward and 4 steps back. Some of the top people ive spoken to are right cunts (im not player hating, on a personal level these people are cunts!) and its putting me off writing. lots of people are giving the big "oh, great tune" then saying fuck all after that.

is there something i am not getting? ive never been a good businessman, i write tunes with love in mind not to make loads of money and notoriety, but to get a few tunes out a year and go out and play abroad once and a while would be cool, just to get me out of the UK.

All i wanna do is get my tunes out there to the scene that has helped me to find myself through the dark years.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Im gonna post up some tunes and let the wolves loose on them cos i need blunt responses, i'd rather be told if i am wasting my time.

thanks for listening, i feel better and people can take the piss all they want about but i needed to say it publicly. i am fed up of feeling like i want to chuck my desk out the window and not being able to tell people. Cry Confused

__
Im an everyday Junglist, I fight for survival...
01-07-2005 14:02
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Maybe your stuff isn't as good as you and/or your mates and/or the crowd acually thinks?
Maybe you're not making the stuff the lables are looking for?
Maybe your stuff is good enough, but just a bit too much like all the rest to catch their intrest?
Maybe you're just unlucky?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

01-07-2005 14:08 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

what if you're choosing wrong labels? some won't ever hear an other style different of their own...

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
01-07-2005 14:13 Homepage of cynik
@1$-)
unregistered
lmfao!!!! @ "what the fuck is wrong with me"

er....how about nothing......
join the club man....your in the same boat as everyone else.

ok first up....forget what your mates say....in fact forget what everyone says!!!! take it all with a pinch of salt. your mates will probably tell you everything you do is good, because they dont want to offend you. secondly other peoiple will say your shit for any number of reasons," haters" or not (if there is such a thing). ok fives years is a long time......but it could take you twenty.....the whole point is to have fun and enjoy it.
its like surya says it could be many factors......if you know in your heart a tune is good enough then send it out. i listen to a lot of music, and i keep in touch by hearing the freshest stuff online.......due to this i have my own built in shit detector!!!! thanks to this it gives me the ability to be honest, some people dont like it but if in my opinion a tune sucks im gonna let people know, wether its dodgy dave and his home brewed reason mix or high contrast....its all you can do, keep in touch with the scene your into, the styles that are currently popular and the labels releasing those styles. labels want something thats the same.....just with a different edge to it.....but make sure your sending your tunes to the appropriate labels......and dont always go for the big labels either.....they get the most shit sent to them every day......theres a million and one labels out there all waiting to hear your stuff......just be poite and ask them if they mind you e mailing them some mp3s......and most djs and labels are on AOL or messenger....and their happy to accept your tunes.
just ask for honesty......dont turn round straight away and say....."oh isnt this da bomb come and sign me" cause theyll tell you to fuck off! you have to be subtle and patient.....these people are busy!!!

and the end of the day theres only one real way of doing it.

make good tunes.......but your idea of good and mine could well be different Big Grin and its the same with label owners/ a+r men.....taste is very selective.
and sometimes the tunes that get signed are not always that great....but they might just have dope production.......

im quite looking forward to checking your beats now though. but be warned.....im honest......and it is just my opinion
01-07-2005 15:08
Sozadj Sozadj is a male

Registration Date: 01-07-2005

You know what...

you are all completely right in what you are saying and i have deserved this literal 'slap cros da dace - pull yourself together man' ahh its like being in trenches.

I want to thank you for your comments, they have been ingested very much so and i look forward to some real comments on my stuff, not false comments that have destroyed my confidence.

Please dont hold back. ill post on tonight so look out for a couple over the weekend.

cheers and respect to you all.

soza

__
Im an everyday Junglist, I fight for survival...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Sozadj: 01-07-2005 16:26.

01-07-2005 16:23
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

If you are making tunes for 5 years you are just at the beginning .

It takes a long time to learn how to play the violin . And it takes even longer to be a realy good producer simply because a studio is a much more complex instrument . I think a studio is the most complex instrument there is .

Next important rule is just like Munki c say's : Don't trust your friends , they will lie to you .

If record company's hear some bad tracks from you they won't listen to the next track you send them . So change your name .

When you realy make a decent tune , you will feel that . It will be the best tune you ever heard in your life .
If you feel like that , than you have a chance that the tune is realy worth sending to a record company .

Don't give up and only settle for the best of the best .

Greetings Dirk .

P.s.

Test : Do you know what stereo shuffling means ?
No - That means you are a beginner .
Yes - That means you know a little bit more than a beginner .
01-07-2005 19:00
@1$-)
unregistered
lol..well i didnt say dont trust your friends......its just been my experience that people you know will often say somethings good even if its not....because they dont want to offend you.

and its not true that if you send out a tune thats not that good the labels wont listen to your next one. they cant afford to miss a good track........but if your that worried then yeh..change your name..better still keep your name just get a new e mail address.
01-07-2005 20:10
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by dirk
If you are making tunes for 5 years you are just at the beginning .

It takes a long time to learn how to play the violin . And it takes even longer to be a realy good producer simply because a studio is a much more complex instrument . I think a studio is the most complex instrument there is .

Next important rule is just like Munki c say's : Don't trust your friends , they will lie to you .

If record company's hear some bad tracks from you they won't listen to the next track you send them . So change your name .

When you realy make a decent tune , you will feel that . It will be the best tune you ever heard in your life .
If you feel like that , than you have a chance that the tune is realy worth sending to a record company .

Don't give up and only settle for the best of the best .

Greetings Dirk .

P.s.

Test : Do you know what stereo shuffling means ?
No - That means you are a beginner .
Yes - That means you know a little bit more than a beginner .

it takes on average 5 yrs for someone to have a trak signed Big Grin

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

01-07-2005 20:27
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

SO: What you need to do now is write 5 IN DEPTH REVIEWS and then ask for poducer rights. (producers --> You are logged in as blah blablah and then your options)
Post a few tracks and we'll let you know

We're famous because of our harsh, but helpful reviews, so you'll know if your tracks suck in NO TIME !!!
Lol just make sure u like your own tracks.

GREETZ !

MR. Rude

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rude: 02-07-2005 11:33.

01-07-2005 22:12 Homepage of Rude
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

who cares Smile

if you make music because you like it. just keep on doing it.

keep on trying to get peole to hear it, but never stop.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

02-07-2005 18:18 Homepage of Halph-Price
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

Patiemce and perseverance<sp?>

Those are two things that everyone has told me you MUST have to get anywhere in this game ...

having a good ear for tunes doesnt hurt either.. Lol Smile Wink

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
07-07-2005 02:28 Homepage of Arkitekt
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Losing the fight