drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » how important are freestyles for an mc?
Go to the bottom of this page how important are freestyles for an mc?
Author
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

hey all,

here is something to think about.

When you 're at a party and their is an mc spitting his lyricks, do you pay attention too the lyricks?

Personally, i have a certain amount off rhymes which i can always use. In between i try to bust a freestyle from time to time to keep it all fresh. Guess what i want to know is wether the ravers hear the diffrence between freestyles and other rhymes and if they think its important to freestyle from time to time or more often, ...

What do you think?

__
http://www.mentallab.com

20-06-2005 12:02 Homepage of Mush mc
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

it does get annoying if an mc does the same rhyme over and over and over and over agian and again..

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
20-06-2005 12:08 Homepage of Friscko
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

imo freestyles usually are usually just an more meaningless and bullshit amalgamtion of other lyrics they use normally. but if you mean variation, yeah im all for it, as Friskko said, little catchphrases repeated ad infinitum get well irritating after a while. i can help but pay attention to lyrics, cos they emcee usually has their mike up so loud, and i find it hard to blank out. so yeah, i listen. I think mcees aswell as improving lyrical content, should also work on their "style". i dont like party mcs who just call for rewinds and comment on the music. if your gonna mc, you got to have a certain attitude, you got to have enthusiasm, but a certain restraint aswell.

oh yeah you know im sorry i cant remeber teh names of tehm ones i was on about before. however, for a wel known example of another style of mc i quite like is Codebreaker, you know on "MSX FM" on the GTA III Big Grin I never seen him live tho . . .
20-06-2005 13:26
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

lyrical content is less important than good flow and originality while mc'ing dnb live imo.. nobody is gonna pay too much attenton to the lyrics anyway.. and the mc should add something to the show/athmsphere, where the music comes first..

on records it's a whole other deal imo.

__

20-06-2005 13:32 Homepage of Emblem-X
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
lyrical content is less important than good flow and originality while mc'ing dnb live imo.. nobody is gonna pay too much attenton to the lyrics anyway.. and the mc should add something to the show/athmsphere, where the music comes first..

on records it's a whole other deal imo.

anyway a good freestyle always catches my attention immediatly Big Grin

__

20-06-2005 13:33 Homepage of Emblem-X
@1$-)
unregistered
~edit. get over it. pfff

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 11-11-2007 04:16.

20-06-2005 17:42
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

nah mc's can really add to a set imo, but not too much f em do so..

check the ltj bukem and mc conrad duo goddamn, conrad really lifts the music to another level imo.

just like mc armanni reign alongside myster mason (that night @ hangar ostend one ruled!!! Big Grin )

__

20-06-2005 20:10 Homepage of Emblem-X
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks for the replies. Big Grin

& BTW:
Although i did not have the intention to start a discussion on wether we should have mc s or not it always tends to turn out that way Wink
hehe

greetz

__

21-06-2005 14:47 Homepage of Mush mc
basshead basshead is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 29-07-2005

hi there mush!

I ve seen u mc ing in decadance and rector
i heard some lyrics that i have on a cd but its nice!

i dont mind at all if its a freestyle
you got nice type off flow
respect Smile

__
humts humts humtsss beejbie!
29-07-2005 12:05
dj_prophecy dj_prophecy is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1194.jpg

Registration Date: 05-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
mcs are a good way to ruin a night out.......i didnt pay money to hear some plonker spitting bad rymes over my favourite tracks......most of them chat complete shit. i dont mind if theyve got something to say but many dont......and they dont shut up often either.....
mcs should do their job and just hype the crowd, and theres no need to do it all the way through a set.......the only advice i would give is study someone like sizzla......top notch mc,ok its not dnb, but many of his tracks sound wicked mixed with it, but he actually makes a point in his lyrics......but to be honest.if i was playing id just pull out the mic lead Big Grin

i agree totally

__
-My God, i'm so bored

*hey...you...wanna get wasted or something?
29-07-2005 13:24 Homepage of dj_prophecy
MentalLAB

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by basshead
hi there mush!

I ve seen u mc ing in decadance and rector
i heard some lyrics that i have on a cd but its nice!

i dont mind at all if its a freestyle
you got nice type off flow
respect Smile

Thanks a lot man. Always nice to hear when people feel you.
Next time you see me somewhere, just come and say hi Wink

But what do you mean when you say you have some off my lyrics on a cd.
Or did i misunderstand you? because i write my own lyrics so that would be impossible.

@ MUNKI C

I m sorry if you have had nothing but bad experiences with mc s or if you just don t like them; that' s a matter of personal taste.
But i don t think you should be compairing dnb and it s mc s with ragga/dancehall artists like sizzla. Ragga is all about the rythme AND the message while dnb is almost stricktly about rhytme and bass and less about the message.
Also note that loads of rythmes are not even produced by themselves (though capleton and sizzla have done some and can perhaps be seen as exeptions) but become used by almost every dancehall artist, to record their own rhymes on it and so creating their own track.

__

02-08-2005 16:51 Homepage of Mush mc
basshead basshead is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 29-07-2005

that cd was a mistake
u are the mc on that cd Smile
i did say hi on the party! :wink:
see u next time :p

__
humts humts humtsss beejbie!
02-08-2005 22:31
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

yeah man i cant stand it wen all you hear all nite is the same rhyme. im a raver i love to bust it out wen the dj is spinin those mad tracks. n da mc is rinsin out them lryics. and yeah i can tel when people r freestylin...

if you cant freestyle i dnt recon tht ur tht special u kno what i mean but i got a mate who just pure freestyles. yeah yeah he has a few pre rehersed to roal out but most of its freestyle and i think you can hav a much beta time with freestyle. bcuz most of the time itz about evry thing around you... and wen im ravin im always tryna listen to thos lryics...
05-08-2005 16:05
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C

theres no need to do it all the way through a set..
Yup, I hate that shit!! Mc's do tend to ruin a phat tune more often than not. Prrr

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 06-08-2005 08:52.

06-08-2005 08:28
smoka

Registration Date: 13-08-2005

@ Mush MC: yo, i'm a MC to, most of my lyrics are written for hiphop beats,

but me and my cousin mix drum 'n' bass, so we've been recording a few mixes, wit me rhyming over it...

if you have a few tips about how to flow over d'n'b and if you rhyme on calm pieces of d'n'b or also very hard d'n'b...

cuz i'm not familiar wit rhyming over d'n'b,

now i spit a few bars (3-4) over some fast d'n'b and a few shoutings, and when it's a calm moment, i spit a whole verse (10-20 bars).

peace!
13-08-2005 19:57
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

A lot of MCs seem to miss the point that MCing for DnB is more about hyping up the place than rambling lyrics over everything. But that doesn't mean you should stick to "make some noise" and crap like that...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-08-2005 17:42 Homepage of Surya
MentalLAB

Helpfulness rating: 

hi smoka

Maybe i could give you some pointers about rhyming on dnb but i don t think that it would help you that much since i don t think that i am the most suitable person to do so. But since you ask it so nicely, i ll give it a try Wink

-Wether you rhyme over calmer parts ore the more heavier stuff, that depends on what you find the most suitable and/or what fits you best. This will determine how your mc style will evolve. Chances are, when you become more skilled in spitting over dnb, that you will master a tempo which you can t hold yet today. Meaning that all can evolve while you are at it, also your speed.
-find a dj who s style you like and who is whilling to jam with you. The best sets with an mc are those where the dj and mc know each others style and really feel each other
-practice real hard and a lot: one does not become an mc over night. It takes time and constant efforts to addapt and improve (y)our style(s) Wink
-always try to enlarge your vocabulary. This is best optained by writing your own lyricks and listening to others. listen to them, DON T copy them.
-take every chance you get but always make sure that the people who you work close with can be trusted..
-And the usual shit like: don t talk when the dj is mixing, try not to mc over vocals in a tune, let the music breathe from time to time, try not to be repetitive, keep interacting with the dj and the music (here i mean that you have to keep in mind that you and your dj are to bring ONE vibe, not you spittng a new vibe over his) ...

Now i hope i was off some service. Big Grin
Good luck to you and maybe you can let us know when we can check you out on a gig?...

(@ Surya: WORD, but as an mc, you have to find a healthy mix cause there are always guys begging for more while others just want to shut you down)

__

16-08-2005 13:16 Homepage of Mush mc
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Mush mc
(@ Surya: WORD, but as an mc, you have to find a healthy mix cause there are always guys begging for more while others just want to shut you down)

Yeah, I know. Had some talks about this with DOC... But I've heard you once and I don't remember you as irritating, so that's a good thing Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

16-08-2005 13:48 Homepage of Surya
MentalLAB

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

Yeah, I know. Had some talks about this with DOC... But I've heard you once and I don't remember you as irritating, so that's a good thing Big Grin

Thanks man Bigup

__

16-08-2005 20:03 Homepage of Mush mc
smoka

Registration Date: 13-08-2005

quote:
hi smoka

Maybe i could give you some pointers about rhyming on dnb but i don t think that it would help you that much since i don t think that i am the most suitable person to do so. But since you ask it so nicely, i ll give it a try Wink

-Wether you rhyme over calmer parts ore the more heavier stuff, that depends on what you find the most suitable and/or what fits you best. This will determine how your mc style will evolve. Chances are, when you become more skilled in spitting over dnb, that you will master a tempo which you can t hold yet today. Meaning that all can evolve while you are at it, also your speed.
-find a dj who s style you like and who is whilling to jam with you. The best sets with an mc are those where the dj and mc know each others style and really feel each other
-practice real hard and a lot: one does not become an mc over night. It takes time and constant efforts to addapt and improve (y)our style(s) Wink
-always try to enlarge your vocabulary. This is best optained by writing your own lyricks and listening to others. listen to them, DON T copy them.
-take every chance you get but always make sure that the people who you work close with can be trusted..
-And the usual shit like: don t talk when the dj is mixing, try not to mc over vocals in a tune, let the music breathe from time to time, try not to be repetitive, keep interacting with the dj and the music (here i mean that you have to keep in mind that you and your dj are to bring ONE vibe, not you spittng a new vibe over his) ...

Now i hope i was off some service. Big Grin
Good luck to you and maybe you can let us know when we can check you out on a gig?...

thanks for the info, it cleared alot up for me!

i'm more of a hiphopper, but drum 'n' bass is kinda like my 2nd style (of music)!

tip 3 had me thinking to the intro from wu tang forever: disc 2... (i'm a big wu-fan Pleased )

thanks again!
peace!
16-08-2005 21:20
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » how important are freestyles for an mc?