drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Am I being Paranoid?
Go to the bottom of this page Am I being Paranoid?
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.67

With the introduction of freeware ie, limewire. you can basically download next 2 anything yeh
So I was told, so i gave it a try and sure enough u can!

What worries me is whatever tune i wanted to download i could without much ag
So what about us lot? beavering away like little self promoters, workin our backsidez off
promoting our tunez, then along comes sum bod and goes click, thankyou mr not gettin paid
producer very much for your free music, got anymore?

Can u see where im goin with this?

To top thingz off i walked past my local drum n bass record shop 2day and guess what
there gone mate!

Have they abandoned ship?

Please tell me its all a bad dream!!

Dubz Crying

__
dubcupboard
09-06-2005 04:32 Homepage of dubcupboard
poesjka poesjka is a female
Funky Lady

images/avatars/avatar-695.jpg

Registration Date: 13-02-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.43

quote:
Originally posted by dubcupboard
Am I being Paranoid?

stop smoking weed Wink Tongue

__
Poesjka

31/03 Café Détour @ Lille (FR)
17/05 www.jungletrain.net Motronicism live 17h-19h
28/07 Drum NN bass Part V @ Nieuwe Nor, Heerlen (NL)
09-06-2005 08:35
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

I don't think you're being paranoid, on the contrary, you're touching a very delicate issue. Music-bizniz as we know it is bound for a one-way trip towards HUGE changes. With all the ipod's, mp3's, copy-abilities, the whole internet thing, people are losing their grip when it comes to buying records, and recordcompanies on the other hand have been pushing things far too long now (production costs < actual sales prices). So i guess that things are naturally evolving now, but it's difficult to say how music bizniz will look like. Within 4 years, it will become quite clear what the nature of the new "creating musician =>directing recordcompany=>critical consumer" will be.
But some good points came into play as well: music has proven itself to be -in a way-independent: you're absolutely free to make/distribute music and post 1990-music threw off the yoke of recordcompanies. And with the rise of pc's/home-studio's and bedroomproducers, a more versatile array of music/styles/crossovers/non-conformist approaches arrives. But: the only thing i fear is the loss of 'quality control'. F.e. when Warp or Ninja Tune or Bassbin or .. release smt, i immediately know that i can buy that new album almost without listening to it first, and that's NOT gonna happen if everybody is free to release their self recorded morning yawn with a breakbeat underneath. Anyway, i'm gonna stop here because i could go on&on on this matter.

in short: the medium is changing, but off with my head if good music will dissappear

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
09-06-2005 12:02 Homepage of Soi
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i can't find many dnb artist to download. most underground stuff doesn't get on there. so i don't worry.

anyone want the entire beatles collection?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-06-2005 02:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
Bamme Bamme is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1042.gif

Registration Date: 16-07-2005

According to me, music is going back to its essence, that is, an art. After a while, there won't be many artist that'll be able to make a lot of money. (I don't talk about a nearby future) Their only way of making money will be by performing, and I may be hated for saying this, but I don't give a f*ck, performing is the only thing for which musicians should payed . If you see what amount of money artists make nowadays, it's just too much. True, now I'm talking about those pop-idols and hiphopsters, but I don't think even a really succesfull underground DJ can afford a Beverly-Hills mansion.

__
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
- Victor Hugo -
16-07-2005 01:00
@1$-)
unregistered
i hate to tell you this.......but people dont make fuck all money out of music sales when it comes to stykes like drum n bass, garage, breaks, techno......unless your someone like andy c, armand van helden, mj cole, etc etc......the money comes from dj'ing

i dont believe in sharing music though......its kind of disrespectful, but its why you will find labels are less likely to commit to people now .....its becoming more and more a risk....indeed how would you feel to find youve got a tune coming out.....but everyone has it already....

and as for record shops......well ive said this before.....i luv vinyl.....but its dying a sharp and sudden death.....cds are taking over...becuase labels/djs can share their stuff quickly and make sure their all playing the latest tunes first...well before anyone else gets their hands on them!!

but.......if anyone who produces thinks that ANY bit rate mp3 is anywhere near a full 16, 24 or 32 bit track then they need their fuckin ears tested!!!!!! if you cant hear the difference then get some decent speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and buy a new pair of ears!!!!!!!!!
16-07-2005 02:19
HEXO HEXO is a male

Registration Date: 13-07-2005

nothings easy ..... try the old school dnb you will have a tuff time
16-07-2005 11:03
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Sharing music is nothing new. Think about it, as kids most of us were copying cassetes from friends and stuff, and no record company ever complained. And the difference between decent cassette quality and MP3 is not that big. So I don't see much difference there. When cd recorders became common, but broadband internet still wasn't, all of a sudden the music industry started complaining about losses caused by copying. Seems to me like they were kinda late thinking about it. As It has been said here before, sales price of CD's and records is way too high. The production price of a CD, all costs for studio, people involved etc included is estimated at 2-3€, still they are sold for 5 to 10 times this price. It's outrageous and it is only normal that people use other possibilities when they are at hand.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
16-07-2005 12:32 Homepage of djfreemc
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

yes but everything has mark up attached. I think its a cop out to say that people will just find another way to get music that they feel is over priced. Yet I don't feel sorry for the rec companies, they're doing this to themselves. And as far as bands/artists after years of playing crap shows and gettin' paid squat most of 'em jump at a contract that they probably shouldn't sign. Artist' that create a fan base usually retain it with loyalty intact. I just think its kinda funny
that rec comps bitch about "free music" when radio stations have been giving it away since before the average joe could rip it. Its all a bunch of bullshit. If you're good enough you'll get a fan base that will take care of you if you take care of them. If all I ever make from music,is rent I'd be pretty fckin' gratefull.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
19-07-2005 11:10
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

what the real problem is, for 8 fucking years the music industry tried to SQUASH this new medium of music sharing, instead of being shrewd business men/women.

if there suffering it's fromt here own BLIND stupidity. the same stigma that radio first caused, that msuic will never be sold again, was tacked onto online music download. instead viewing it as record shops with no inventory, or overhead, with direct to customer sales, that are opened 24/7 all over the world.

the most eccential thing for selling music is convince. it's an impulse buy, like chocolate. if it's ther you'll be more proned to buy it.

they JUST FUCKING STARTED THIS with iTunes. but the bad part is they made music equal, 99 cents.

if you suck ass you're worth as much as every last beatles song.

what does that say about the worth of music.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

14-08-2005 09:02 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sensa Sensa is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 14-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
i hate to tell you this.......but people dont make fuck all money out of music sales when it comes to stykes like drum n bass, garage, breaks, techno......unless your someone like andy c, armand van helden, mj cole, etc etc......the money comes from dj'ing

sorry but i really do not agree there, I know some very small names in dnb in my area who just work for local labels and sell in local stores, there on around ........hang on let me calculate this into euros with the coverter........ROUGHLY dependant on sales about 600 euros a week
which im sure you will find a decent sum for a smalltime producer.....
no djing involved as of yet....

__
Re:Voltage Recordings
www.revoltagerecordings.com
+44 (0) 7904966436
Email: sensa@revoltagerecordings.com
MSN: sensa@revoltagerecordings.com
14-08-2005 13:00 Homepage of Sensa
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by djsensa2004
quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C

sorry but i really do not agree there, I know some very small names in dnb in my area who just work for local labels and sell in local stores, there on around ........hang on let me calculate this into euros with the coverter........ROUGHLY dependant on sales about 600 euros a week
which im sure you will find a decent sum for a smalltime producer.....
no djing involved as of yet....

woot?? 600€ per week? What scene is that?
I see people with good ideas, and with some luck, a plan, and with some more luck, a little local record label. But they do anything but making money out of it. Same holds for demo's, i sell some in my shop (f.e. Saphir's one) but don't think this will deliver the $$$ sign in our eyes.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
14-08-2005 14:49 Homepage of Soi
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

this is all leading back to the argument of why do you need to make money doing it ?? dont you all have jobs .

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
14-08-2005 16:01 Homepage of Arkitekt
@1$-)
unregistered
maybe these people would like you to think that they make money cause they think youll be impressed.....got any of their tunes?? and whats their production name??

600 euros is just over £400 gbp. thats £1600 a month.....now do they run the labels?? because if they do then you have to take into account their out goings.....and even if their not then i doubt their making that amount in royalties.....yknow if we say the average price for a dnb single is £6....if an artist is lucky he might make £1.50 on that record depending on the contract the rest is split between shop, label (who also have their costs) and distributor.....so to make £400 a week your mates would have to be selling close to 270 records a week, thats a 1000 records a month. whicj is 12000 records a year.....hmmm.

look i aint calling you a liar, but they must be fairly wll known to sell this amount just in local shops. maybe you should get in on the act Big Grin
14-08-2005 16:04
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

...paranoid Gaga
17-08-2005 00:45
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Am I being Paranoid?