drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Anyone know about midi guitar pickups?
Go to the bottom of this page Anyone know about midi guitar pickups?
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 29-11-2004

Alright, here's a quick little question that I've not been able to get a straight answer for.

Can I use a midi guitar pickup to run straight to my audio interface on my computer? Do I need to have the stupid "Roland effects module" in order for the pickup to work?

I don't mind spending the few 100$ for the pickup, but the effects module is around 400-600 bucks, and I really don't want to use that thing at all. I just want to get the pickups midi signal sent directly to the midi ins on my audio interface to lay down some sick melodies.

You see I see it like this "Why lay down my melodies on my little 1 handed Ozone keyboard "a keys player I am not" when I can bust it on my main weapon of choice.

Much appreciated if you guys could help.
Tronix

__
http://www.robtronix.com
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
08-06-2005 13:53 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
@1$-)
unregistered
well i met a guy who plays steel/lap guiter...and he just ran straight out into a synth.........but he probably makes a lot of money so it could have been a custom thing........why dont you e mail roland or the pick up manufacturer.......
08-06-2005 14:23
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

If you're talking about the GK-2A pickup from roland the answer is no. The pick-up just "picks up" the sounds of the strings seperately and then sends these six audio-signals to an audio-to-MIDI converter (or a stupid "Roland effects module") so the conversion can be easier for the dsp.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daemon79: 08-06-2005 19:04.

08-06-2005 16:41
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by ROBTRONIX
Alright, here's a quick little question that I've not been able to get a straight answer for.

Can I use a midi guitar pickup to run straight to my audio interface on my computer? Do I need to have the stupid "Roland effects module" in order for the pickup to work?

I don't mind spending the few 100$ for the pickup, but the effects module is around 400-600 bucks, and I really don't want to use that thing at all. I just want to get the pickups midi signal sent directly to the midi ins on my audio interface to lay down some sick melodies.

You see I see it like this "Why lay down my melodies on my little 1 handed Ozone keyboard "a keys player I am not" when I can bust it on my main weapon of choice.

Much appreciated if you guys could help.
Tronix

Roland makes one...here it is...

Product Description

Plug and Play
Ever wanted to thicken up your guitar sound with a warm synth pad? Or how about a screaming lead sound that puts you in front? The GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer makes playing high-quality synthesizer and instrument sounds from your guitar as simple as 1-2-3. First, attach the GK-3 Divided Pickup to your steel-stringed electric (no drilling necessary). Second, select the type of sound you want using the Bank knob. Third, choose a sound variation using the Number/Value dial and start playing. With the GR-20, it’s easy to tap into the power of guitar synthesis.

Features:
Affordable guitar synthesizer with new sounds, easy interface.

Available with or without GK-3 divided pickup

Easy to use: select a sound category (Strings, Organ, Synth, etc.) and play!

Quick editing via Attack, Release, Chorus, and Delay/Reverb knobs

Digital pitch detection for lightning-fast tracking

Includes Roland’s latest sounds like sax, strings, flute, brass, bass and percussion loops

GK-3 mounts easily on any steel-stringed electric without damage to guitar

GK-3 features an adjustable curve design and pickup cable length, plus an attachment plate for Les Paul-type guitars

Patch Link enables easy connection with MIDI-capable multi-effects like GT-6

All trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Guitar Synth, or Compact Pedal?
With the GR-20 it feels like both. Simply attach the GK-3 Divided Pickup to your guitar and you can be playing high-quality Roland sounds in seconds. Selecting a sound is like choosing an effect. First, select a sound category using the Bank knob. Categories include Strings/Orchestral, Wind, Brass, Bass/Guitar, Organ/Keyboard, Piano, Synth/Lead, Voice/Pad, Ethnic, and Rhythm/Percussion. Now you can select individual sounds using the Number/Value dial. It’s easy!

Roland’s Finest Sounds with Exceptional Tracking
At the heart of the GR-20 is an advanced sound engine based on Roland's professional synthesizers. Sounds can be played with up to 48-voice polyphony for full, rich-sounding Patches. And the sounds are equally impressive. From expressive string ensembles to spiritual tabla loops coupled with sitar -- all with adjustable attack and release -- there's no limit to what you can do. Sophisticated DSP makes the GR-20's pitch detection ultra-reliable, so you can strum with confidence.

Take Your Guitar Playing Further
Want to create a sound that’s all your own? Try blending the natural sound of your guitar pickups with the GR-20. Thankfully, the GK-3 Divided Pickup makes this easy via a larger and smoother GK knob. Imagine playing chords and then slowly fading in a swirling, breathy pad to create intensity. Or how about playing a distorted lead on your guitar with a thick synth lead sound? Now take this a step further with the GR-20’s Patch Link function. This allows you to easily assign GR-20 Patches to match effect Patches in MIDI-capable processors like the BOSS GT-6. It's the ultimate system for serious guitarists.

The New GK-3 Divided Pickup
When you buy a GR-20 with GK-3, you get a GK-3 Divided Pickup and GK cable in the box. In other words, everything you need to start playing synth sounds is included! The GK-3 is 30 percent thinner than its predecessor, and it now uses a 1/4 in. jack for normal guitar input. The pickup includes an adjustable curve design to keep an even distance between the strings for better response (the pickup cable length is also adjustable). Owners of Les Paul-type guitars can install the GK-3 safely without drilling using a special attachment plate included in the box.

This one is like 700$ but youre not gonna find any midi dvices for a guitar for under 300... goodluck...this is one of the better...and my dad actually used this is exact one when he worked in his old recording studio...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-06-2005 16:52
ROBTRONIX ROBTRONIX is a male
Tourist

Thanks for the tips, thats sweet that I can just run the GK-2A pickup into my interface by itself. Thats what I figured but everyone tells me different shit.

About those Roland Effects units, I really don't think that there that bad, there just geared more toward live instrument type sounds. You can buy one of those units "if your going for that type of sound" and eliminate buying a bunch of vst plugins. If you buy software that is.. "chuckle chuckle"

Myself on the otherhand am interested in playing my guitar with like Absynth or something like that. Get some serious bassline crazieness going on with my guitar.

thanks

__
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
08-06-2005 17:46 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

I don't know about the roland pickup, but I know casio used to make a guitar synth kind of thing. It never sold a lot because a lot of people found it very strange to play something with strings sounding totally different, so maybe you can find it cheap somewhere. I'm pretty sure it has midi too. (If i'm not mistaken one of the dewaele brothers has one of these)

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
08-06-2005 18:47 Homepage of djfreemc
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

wooa, made some mistakes in my first reply what i ment to say was that the pickup just sends 6 different audio-signals out. You will still need some sort of a converter to change the audio signals to a MIDI signal like the GI-10.

The pick-up itself just sends out audio signals
08-06-2005 19:03
ROBTRONIX ROBTRONIX is a male
Tourist

hmmmm, guess I will have to email Roland

__
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
08-06-2005 19:07 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
CubicSphere CubicSphere is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpg

Registration Date: 13-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Check out this site:

http://home.epix.net/~joelc/midi_git.html

__
Do you serve a purpose or purpose to serve?
08-06-2005 19:11
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I think the cheapest solution be to just record your guitar with a pc (audio that is) and then use some sort of audio to MIDI conversion program on your pc. But I don't know any program to recommend. Maybe check this link:
http://www.music-notation.info/en/compmus/audio2midi.html.
08-06-2005 19:24

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by ROBTRONIX
Thanks for the tips, thats sweet that I can just run the GK-2A pickup into my interface by itself. Thats what I figured but everyone tells me different shit.

About those Roland Effects units, I really don't think that there that bad, there just geared more toward live instrument type sounds. You can buy one of those units "if your going for that type of sound" and eliminate buying a bunch of vst plugins. If you buy software that is.. "chuckle chuckle"

Myself on the otherhand am interested in playing my guitar with like Absynth or something like that. Get some serious bassline crazieness going on with my guitar.

thanks

i jsut picekd that one just for an example...there are pleanty out there that will do what you want... check www.musiciansfriend.com or www.samash.com

goodluck

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

09-06-2005 00:28
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

How about : Native Instrument's Guitar Rig.
http://www.native-instruments.com/index....&ftu=739171976a
Im not entirely sure, but I think that's what you are looking for.
I know you said you didnt want any software to go with it, but Guitar Rig has this thing, and you get the software too. (From personal experience I know that the software is truly amazing, you can get all kinds of guitar sounds...).
I dont know if this is what you want, but you can always check it out Bigup .
09-06-2005 08:16
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

there is a guitar synth program, which takes notes and makes it mii- even chords...

now the deal is suppose to be you pla on the guitar and hook that up to your computer, simply.

you could sing into it even.... but guitars are more accurate.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-06-2005 12:12 Homepage of Halph-Price

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by marine289
How about : Native Instrument's Guitar Rig.
http://www.native-instruments.com/index....&ftu=739171976a
Im not entirely sure, but I think that's what you are looking for.
I know you said you didnt want any software to go with it, but Guitar Rig has this thing, and you get the software too. (From personal experience I know that the software is truly amazing, you can get all kinds of guitar sounds...).
I dont know if this is what you want, but you can always check it out Bigup .

thats not remotely waht we're talking about here Wink

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

09-06-2005 15:34
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Anyone know about midi guitar pickups?