drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » PLEASE HELP! Is it ok to use breaks???
Go to the bottom of this page PLEASE HELP! Is it ok to use breaks???
Author
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Greetings all!

I'm new here, and having had a look around and listen to the tracks here I've found that the standards are high and the general knowledge is excellent. Bravo.

Ok - using breaks...

I've been fiddling around with production for about four years, and have always been quite set on making my own drum loops in a step sequencer from single hits. I've come to the conclusion, finally, that to get a good sound from the skills I have I'm going to have to start using sampled breaks, probably layering some additional hits on top.

Now, to what extent can you use a break/s and not feel like a bit of a dirty cheat? Is this just because I'm new to this, or is there a line you can cross in terms of abusing somebody else's work?

I'm aware that there are vast amounts of skill involved in getting the old breaks to sound good via compression/eqing/chopping, but if you could shed some light on what is generally accepted in the production community at large.

Something that has struck me when I stopped to think about it was, as an example, the fact that Zinc, fairly bigtime and respected producer on all accounts, uses the Scorpio fill quite a lot (I think) in his tunes, and nobody seems to say "well he's ok but...."

While I'm here, is there any good tutorials about for dealing with old breaks? I've always tried to get amens looping right but I just end up galloping along out of time and feeling a bit useless.

Any help massively appreciated. Cheers!

additional - I've put my latest work in progress in your tunes section, but having had a listen to the other stuff I think you'll perhaps have a chuckle when you hear it, not that its that bad, I hope, but pale in comparison.

Big up!

wT

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wTrouble: 03-06-2005 15:00.

03-06-2005 15:00
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Not something I know as much about as others, but I've been finding recently that it IS possible to programme your own beats to sound like the real thing, or close too. Others will have to tell you about how much breaks can be used, and how much they are used, but dont give up trying to make your own, its the best when you make your own impressive sounding break! And making the kind of beat someone like Logistics making Liquid isnt all that tough. (But dont download my tunes, except the latest "Shimmer", as an example, cos i only mad eprogress at this fairly recently. Check out people liike Suora 23 and B complex, they make their own breaks I think).

Thig to do, is to load tons and tons and tons of drum samples, just jack the cds of the front of music magazines in WH Smith for this, and then just keep the beat looped and just keep adding stuff, taking it away if it dont sound right etc., but try to get every single vertical line in the drum matrix with something going on, so that the beat looks like waves on a scan machine or something. Touches like sidesticks, and cow bells and bongos make a lot of difference. Its some of the best part of producing for me. Anywayz you'll probably get more useful answers than this, specific to the questions you asked, thats just my two cents on the breaks make your own question.
03-06-2005 15:17
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

start with the firefight/tramen break.. its in the download section here. its easy as to slice up with recycle or fruity slicer etc...

fruity slicer wll lay it out for you.. or you can export a midi file from recycle, otherwise you have to lay it out like you would single hits. play around till you get it flowing nicely.

then layer other drums to make it sound more original and vola!

hope this helps Smile

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wreakon: 03-06-2005 15:28.

03-06-2005 15:21 Homepage of wreakon
@1$-)
unregistered
lol.. use recycle.....you can be a bit more crative with this and you can be a bit more discreet with what youve used.....

no its not cheating.......its where dnb comes from, yknow the technology - sampling funk, soul, hip hop etc etc etc
03-06-2005 16:11
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

If you do use loops, please ALWAYS cut them up and LAYER! Add your own touch

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-06-2005 19:04 Homepage of Surya
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surya

Definitely!
03-06-2005 19:12 Homepage of zebediah
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

or better yet, try and sample some breaks yourself, and not only rely on the infamous oldskool breaks, although most of them have been used with reason, they're great Big Grin

e.g, check Blur-song2, first 2 bars Bigup
03-06-2005 21:51 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

Im currently working on an extensive break package for the website... keep an eye out in the next couple weeks...itll have abotu 30 different breaks...so should be soemthign to look forward too...

but i must say...4 yrs and still cant program a break? get some new software mate! Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

03-06-2005 23:54
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by zebediah
quote:
Originally posted by Surya

Definitely!

i agree nothing worse than hearing the same loops used in the same way again and again and again and again and again........etc.
u get my point

use breaks yes but use 2 or 3 that roll well together or compliment each other and layer up kicks, snares, hi hats and percussion on top of that and you should end up with (a mess) something that sound fresh

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

04-06-2005 19:05 Homepage of D2o
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

layerd snare and layerd kick. snare at the least.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

04-06-2005 19:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

idd or slice em up and put them in a diff way
eg amen

bdbd sn bd-sn

to

bd sn bd bd-sn

or something like that

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
04-06-2005 19:36 Homepage of Friscko
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

crazy... i liek to strech em, or shorten em... or squarepusher style it with shorting them and raising the pitch, putting a bit of distortion on them, than add Degrade/Reduction to them to 8bit 2200hz quality

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

04-06-2005 19:39 Homepage of Halph-Price
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

cut out an amen snare, make a melody with it (pitchin on piano roll).
put a distorted bd underneath it
Shocked shitmatstyle!!

__

04-06-2005 21:52 Homepage of Friscko
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

I've done a tune using only amen. It could sound like a bass or synth or Fx. It was like a challange for me, and I realized that you don't need all this synths cous you could do one tune based on only one drumloop.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
05-06-2005 23:33 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
ROBTRONIX ROBTRONIX is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 29-11-2004

Just wondering if it is possible to chop up breaks using Cubase alone, or should I maybe consider getting Recycle or something along those lines for dicing up my rhythms more. I find this a problem area in my work, keeping my drum rhythms flowing & not so monotonous.

oh, and for those that remember, Marisol says "Whats up."
He moved a few months ago & doesn't really have computer access at the moment.

__
http://www.robtronix.com
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
06-06-2005 15:25 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

yeah you can! in the sample editor use the hitpoint function to to find the slice points. Then go audio->create regions. Now you can export the regions from the pool! Select the regions in the pool, you might have to expand the original sample. Then go audio->Bounce selection. Now you have the each slice as a wav file.

I sugest getting battery for your drums, its wicked! Then use the drum map to sequence. you can have names for each key and you can move the keys around its a good setup i reckon Smile

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
06-06-2005 16:14 Homepage of wreakon
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

btw talkin about breaks...
the 'special' break in Dylan - Human Error
is it a break, or did he make it by himself, 'cus i've heard the thing also in other tracks..and i like it..and want to have it.

__

06-06-2005 18:38 Homepage of Friscko
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

what i like to do is rexs a break up and slice the fuck out of it ... one beat per slice ... distort em , pan em out and filter the shit out of em ... then using the slices build my own break ...

recycle is a top notch program for this ... i know a lot of ppl look down on reason and what not but i use it and have never had any problems with it ...

but i also rewire into cubase time and again to get the much needed vst support.

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
15-06-2005 20:03 Homepage of Arkitekt
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

well reason is good, but recycle is different.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

16-06-2005 06:25 Homepage of Halph-Price
wTrouble wTrouble is a male
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

well, I've gotten over it now...

Recycle is my new best friend and I'm having fun. A bit of eq, a bit of compression, and Bob's your mother's brother Pleased

Will report back in the tunes section when I've finished the new breaks based project Bigup
16-06-2005 13:13
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » PLEASE HELP! Is it ok to use breaks???