drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Help in getting my kick drum to sound deep and punchy
Go to the bottom of this page Help in getting my kick drum to sound deep and punchy
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
fl oh ya, fl has a peak controller plugin that takes basslevels and you can use that as a side-chain by just hooking it up to a high pass filter on the basslines, after it reads a high kick note it will turnt he high pass up....

How do you do this then? I can't seem to do it.

I'd always wondered what the peak controller was for btw. Big Grin
04-06-2005 21:07
Nick ZZ Nick ZZ is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2152.jpg

Registration Date: 29-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

WoW, looking back this was very good advice. Z

__
Nick & Erina Z
http://www.beatbiz.net/artist.php?USERID=493

19-01-2007 16:53 Homepage of Nick ZZ
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

You can connect your volume knob of the bassline or some EQ slider to the peak controller, and use that as a sidechaining, so when the kick attacks, the bassline gets quieter or whatever.

Can't explain now how exactly as I'm in a hurry, but will in a day or two.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
19-01-2007 18:11 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

using a slower attack and fast release is imo better than a fast attack and longer release. If your attack is too quick it will squash the life out of the kick for sure...

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
20-01-2007 19:59
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
using a slower attack and fast release is imo better than a fast attack and longer release. If your attack is too quick it will squash the life out of the kick for sure...

He has a point.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
21-01-2007 16:43 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

anything over 10 ratio is considered a limiter. infinite is a brickwall limiter, for sure. some cheap analog limiters you can punch through. making them uselss for protecting speakers.

anyways,

VERY IMPORTANT, if you layers kicks, besure to cut the bottem end bass, like 100 or so, out of all but the deepest sample, or else you get bass cancellation and that will reduce or muddy up the kick, and take away from it all.

tip i have heard from mixers, is to get a deep kick, a snappy kick, a generally thuddy kick, and a kick with a nice click a good attack, a sharp transient, even if it has no boom. bottem, middle, and top, respectivly.
then you should fitler away the other parts.

the deep kick you can cut out most of the top, maybe all of it if it doesn't sound right.

the thuddy, you should try to cut out all of the bottem, and some of the top if it's not suitable.

and the sharp lciky one, just cut out everything else.

make sure you remove as much deep boom as you can, high-pass it out.

then ya, a slow attack and a fast release. the more input the louder the begining will be which will give more of an initial punch. you should also be aware that the ratio will set how quiet the tail end will be the higher the ratio is. unless you have auto-make-up on, which will then make the tail end louder. crazy, huh?

most program's that do compressors suck if you make the input volume too high, so don't try to increase taht much to get a more punchier kick, it might just suck the life out of it. who knows, experiment.

so what it comes down to is get a lot of samples. most dance music is aboot that.

oh ya, and again, cut out the 200 of most everything else too, it's not really needed in most songs, it jsut makes everything sound boomy and not great. a lot of the 200 should be fromt eh bass and kick, and not at the same time, so make one or the other fill in that lower-mid range, and equal the otehr one out a smidge if there's conflict.

if you want the kick punchier then the bass, fro DnB of course, you should nudge a bit of 200hz or around there, depending out fo teh bass line. a narrow slice.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 24-01-2007 12:15.

24-01-2007 11:24 Homepage of Halph-Price
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
Hahah... nice one Friscko.. samples has been moved somewhere, though.

http://hardstyleuk.co.uk/samplepacks.html

there they are now...hope the password hasn't changed Wink

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
26-01-2007 18:33 Homepage of Friscko
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Nick ZZ
Trying to make my kicks very punchy and at the same time deep. I tried compression ratios and also cuting 40hz and boosting at 130-150, if there is another way or some one has a good trick for me please let me know. Z

cut at 60 hz -5 db, boost at 100 hz,boost a lil bit at 5k and cut at around 1500 hz -3 to 6 db, then compress... voila

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

29-01-2007 20:07
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:
Trying to make my kicks very punchy and at the same time deep. I tried compression ratios and also cuting 40hz and boosting at 130-150, if there is another way or some one has a good trick for me please let me know. Z

cut at 60 hz -5 db, boost at 100 hz,boost a lil bit at 5k and cut at around 1500 hz -3 to 6 db, then compress... voila

This really depends on the kick, and it's not a magic formula.

__

-Bene Gesserit
30-01-2007 10:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

This really depends on the kick, and it's not a magic formula.

it doesnt depend too much on the kick as long as you have good samples, and its a general formula yes... there are basic guidlines that are easy to fallow to make things sound a certain way... do it.. it works...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

30-01-2007 16:53
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
or else you get bass cancellation

hmmmmm.......bass cancellation...............dont think thats it.when you leave the freq's(lets say between 25hz-50hz) in,the human ear cant quite hear as low as 25hz.your compressor hears this just fine,hence the reason why it is "canceling".your compressor is still working around this in audible freq.headroom is a wonderful thing.cut these freq's and you gain alot of headroom.
06-02-2007 23:43 Homepage of demolitionkid
MaskedPantsMan
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-02-2007

Alot of you guys are talking about compression and distortion and shit like that but none of you are paying attention to the samples used.
When I need a kick drum, I usually tear apart a Funky Drummer sample and/or a Kick Back sample (the very beginning of the sample, in most cases, has a very nice growly sort-of kick drum), clone the sample several times, and pitch down each clone, then layer.
Also, EQ where needed based on your opinion of the sound at the given moment.
19-02-2007 10:13

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MaskedPantsMan
Alot of you guys are talking about compression and distortion and shit like that but none of you are paying attention to the samples used.
When I need a kick drum, I usually tear apart a Funky Drummer sample and/or a Kick Back sample (the very beginning of the sample, in most cases, has a very nice growly sort-of kick drum), clone the sample several times, and pitch down each clone, then layer.

thast kinda what was said above a few times... layering, compression, eqing...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

21-02-2007 16:19
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Besides picking a good sample for starters and layer and EQ it I consider sidechaining to be very important for bassdrum appearance. Has brought huge improvement to the sound for me.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
21-02-2007 17:16 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

obviosly the bette rthe samples are at the start the less you have to do to make them sound good.

one thing a lot of people are missing here is when layering kicks its important to tune them to one another.
start with the real low kick and when you layer the next hit, sweep the pitch up or down a few semi tones are you'll hear when you get it right

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

21-02-2007 18:32 Homepage of D2o
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I got some good kicks foe that ass. Thanks guys. Z

__
Nick & Erina Z

25-02-2007 07:18 Homepage of Nick ZZ
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by MaskedPantsMan

each of the extra cloned smaples that are pitched down, layed on top of eachother would make some interesting cancelations, and muddle the kick.

it would be interesting for experimenting, but not for every song.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

06-03-2007 02:39 Homepage of Halph-Price
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

2 years later.... Thanks. Z

__
Nick & Erina Z

03-02-2008 20:55 Homepage of Nick ZZ
dramaboy

Registration Date: 27-05-2011

make sure your bass drum is tuned right, then i usually raise the low end at 70 to 80 hz for punch. raise the highs between 8 and 10 khz for the snap.
27-05-2011 21:37
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Dear Drama boy....
This is an old thread, let it rest please.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
27-05-2011 22:57 Homepage of BattleDrone
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Help in getting my kick drum to sound deep and punchy