drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Using multiple MIDI input devices in Cubase
Go to the bottom of this page Using multiple MIDI input devices in Cubase
Author
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

I'm looking to use multiple MIDI's on Cubase to maybe do a bit of ive stuff . . . . what do I need?

Just a lot of USB sockets? Or is there any advantage to be had in buying some kind of central box to plug em all into . . . ive seen them in this studio . . . dont know what they are . . . what they do . . . where to buy them . . .
31-05-2005 21:07
@1$-)
unregistered
well.....your hardware should have midi through on it........so you just run through each bit of kit and designate individual channels from cubase. well thats one way of doing it, it would be easier to get ableton live and do it all from a laptop
31-05-2005 21:10
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

Are you talking about synths or controllers?
31-05-2005 22:00
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

im on about controllers: midi keyboard basically . . . do i just plug as many as i can hrought the usb slots, or should i purchase some kind of controller like i have ssen in this studio. its not really a drum n bass thing, its so that i can "jam" (fucing hate that word) with other people at the same time on keyboads seen
01-06-2005 01:05
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
do i just plug as many as i can hrought the usb slots

This depends on the host you're using. Cubase should be able to do this.

Otherwise you'll need MIDI-OX or MIDI Yoke.
http://www.midiox.com/
You might find this thread interesting as well (from the midiox forum)
http://www.midiox.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?b...;num=1107033478
It's about the same problem you could have.
01-06-2005 12:18
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

forget usb, just use standard midi cables and you can use up to 16 devices on different channels without any problems. If one of your usb midi controllers has a 5 pin midi out or through that's all you need.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
01-06-2005 19:48 Homepage of djfreemc
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I think he wants to hook up multiple MIDI keyboards to Cubase so he can play live with several keyboards simultaneously.

For connecting the hardware:
- either buy a MIDI-interface (USB, firewire or something else) and attach several MIDI keyboards to the interface with their MIDI-ports
- buy a MIDI-keyboard that has USB and a couple of MIDI-IN ports as well, hook it up to the PC using USB, and hook up the other keyboards using their MIDI-ports
- buy several USB-keyboards and hook them all up

For setting up the software:
I'm not sure how to do this as I don't own Cubase, but probably you can set up an internal routing that makes the right keyboard end up in the right softsynth. Maybe someone else knows how to do this exactly?

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
01-06-2005 21:23 Homepage of thechronic
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
forget usb, just use standard midi cables and you can use up to 16 devices on different channels without any problems. If one of your usb midi controllers has a 5 pin midi out or through that's all you need.

MIDI thru just copys the data it receives in its MIDI in port, this is useful if you have one controller/sequencer and multiple synths/samplers/sound-devices.

(picture stolen from Harmony central)

If you're using the normal MIDI cables for multiple controllers to 1 pc you'll still need an MIDI merger/interface like thechronic says.

Cubase has quite a decent forum at http://www.cubase.net/
But i don't think the routing will be too difficult, something with Devices -> Device setup... (my guess)
02-06-2005 16:36
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Using multiple MIDI input devices in Cubase