drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » A cheap way to get analogue warmth
Go to the bottom of this page A cheap way to get analogue warmth
Author
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Woot
i cleaned my heads (tehy were BROWN from magnetite)
and now, if i record from a 12" it kinda sounds like an exact copy, badass quality, and it wasnt even a new reel Big Grin

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
24-06-2005 18:03 Homepage of Friscko
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

anyway, joo could post a demo?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-06-2005 18:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
anyway, joo could post a demo?

with the taperecorder? I might use it in one of my next tunes..but since
quote:
Posted somewhat earlier in this thread
but i think i'll have to wait for a new computer to put that lovely piece of technology in use. my pc is now connected to my amp by a cable that splits a headphone out into a red-white stuff (to put in the amp)..
And that gives some 'bmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' and my computer itself generates one hell of a lot of hiss.
If i'm makin a track wearing my headphones, i sometimes really just have to stop becus teh hissing becomes to tiring...

it wont be great quality...
but i'll see

__

24-06-2005 19:13 Homepage of Friscko
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
Woot
i cleaned my heads (tehy were BROWN from magnetite)
and now, if i record from a 12" it kinda sounds like an exact copy, badass quality, and it wasnt even a new reel Big Grin

darn. I wanna experiment with that shit too Big Grin

__

24-06-2005 19:35 Homepage of Emblem-X
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

woow, it's even fun, i've just recorded the Jamaican Rough Style mix from my Return of the killa dreds with it, gonna give it a rehearsal when i putted the machine back upstairs, attached to my soundstystem Big Grin

__

24-06-2005 20:02 Homepage of Friscko
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Get yourself a razor blade, some splice tape and an edit block, and start cutting up the tape and make loops with it and stuff, it's a lot of fun Big Grin
You can even fabricate drum loops by splicing single hits together, a lot more work than doing it in software, but it is a very rewarding experience Cool

The 1/4" reel to reels are much better quality than you can get from cassette decks, the track width is bigger and they play with a much higher tape speed.

If you start using the machine, make a habit of cleaning the heads every day, and also clean the pinch roller, capstan and guides. The metal parts can be cleaned with alcohol, the rubber parts with water with a drop of detergent (eg dishwasher liquid) in it.

It works really well to record stuff like drums and basslines on tape and then back into the computer, you get more warmth, and by pushing the volume you get tape compression and a nice gritty distortion which sounds very pleasing if it is not overdone.

Do try to get some new tapes though, using the old ones will deteriorate the machine. Old tapes shed magnetic particles like hell which creep into the mechanics and electronics and fuck it up. New tapes sound really crisp too BTW, you're not going to believe your ears Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-06-2005 01:23 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
Now, is there a large difference between recording into an old R2R, and recording into a high-end cassette recorder?

Edit: Haha, how about this bad boy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7331065204&rd=1

I do believe this is exactly what everyone here is looking for, aside from The Chronic of course, because he probably already has one. Tongue

That's an 8-track, which doesn't have really good audio quality even though Otari is a top brand. Comparable with cassette quality.

Look for 1/4" 2-track machines, they really have a much better audio quality than most digital recorders.

BTW I once actually had a 24-track tape machine sitting in my living room Tongue It was a huge monster, weighing something like 200kg and costing a fortune. It was digital though, the last in the Sony DASH series. I traded it in for a big 48-track analog mixing desk which is now completely ruined from spending 3 winters in a garage box My Mistake

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-06-2005 01:30 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Lookie here, brand new Big Grin

http://www.otari.com/product/audio/mx_5050b/index.html

__
25-06-2005 01:55 Homepage of thechronic
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Get yourself a razor blade, some splice tape and an edit block, and start cutting up the tape and make loops with it and stuff, it's a lot of fun Big Grin
You can even fabricate drum loops by splicing single hits together, a lot more work than doing it in software, but it is a very rewarding experience Cool

The 1/4" reel to reels are much better quality than you can get from cassette decks, the track width is bigger and they play with a much higher tape speed.

If you start using the machine, make a habit of cleaning the heads every day, and also clean the pinch roller, capstan and guides. The metal parts can be cleaned with alcohol, the rubber parts with water with a drop of detergent (eg dishwasher liquid) in it.

It works really well to record stuff like drums and basslines on tape and then back into the computer, you get more warmth, and by pushing the volume you get tape compression and a nice gritty distortion which sounds very pleasing if it is not overdone.

Do try to get some new tapes though, using the old ones will deteriorate the machine. Old tapes shed magnetic particles like hell which creep into the mechanics and electronics and fuck it up. New tapes sound really crisp too BTW, you're not going to believe your ears Wink

I'm gonna get me one of those things. they can't be that hard to get or expensive? or are they?

cheers

emblem

__

25-06-2005 02:01 Homepage of Emblem-X
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I've heard of people selling 2-track 1/4" recorders for prices between 200-300 euro. The 4-tracks you can get for like 20-30 euro. Check ebay and your grannies basement too Cool

Before buying, check if the machine runs smoothly and if the heads are not worn out.

__
25-06-2005 02:13 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

this gives me great lofi ideas now, i am gunna just you cassettes. be good for intro's. can just record the same drum loop to cd, record to a tape, than transfer it back and have myself a shitty sounding drum loop to start it up. and here i was looking for a vst that would do that.

chronic you use like 1 emoticon every post!

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 25-06-2005 20:44.

25-06-2005 20:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Lookie here, brand new Big Grin

http://www.otari.com/product/audio/mx_5050b/index.html

Holy crap I want that thing. I want to OWN it.....and pet it......and feed it bananas. Confused

Edit: Seriously though, I really want that thing. Tongue

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 27-06-2005 15:44.

27-06-2005 15:42 Homepage of spudleyq
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » A cheap way to get analogue warmth