drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Reason basics, where do I start?
Go to the bottom of this page Reason basics, where do I start?
Author

Registration Date: 23-05-2005

Just got reason, stumped... it seems a mess if knobs... dont know how to do the virtual wiring thingo when you press tab... what can be said?

Anybody got tutorials or anything like that? and do i REALLY need a midi keyboard?

__
In Trance We Trust
24-05-2005 14:07
@1$-)
unregistered
nope you dont need a midi keyboard, but their nice to have if you want to get a bit more expressive.

as for reason, dont worry about the virtual patching yet.
just create a mixer (right click and select)

create a redrum (same way) or a sampl player and then open some of the preset patches. just mess around, its gonna take a little while but be patient. its easy to get to grips with.

oh and if you havent got any sound....open the preferences window, this can be done from one of the menus at the top.

be patient and experiment, you cant really break/damage anything other than your ears or speakers, so just watch the volume. there arent really any rules so...........
24-05-2005 14:32
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

the knobs try to do what the real knobs on the real machines do..

Reason basically emulates analogue devices.

a lot of wiring (on the back, whan Tab is pressed) is done automatically as munki said, a machine will wire itself automatically if you press the right mouse button while the cursor is above it:

for example:

-create NN19 sampler
(move mouse on top of it)
(right click, create)
-Matrix sequencer

and the Matrix will be automatically wired to the NN19.

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
24-05-2005 14:54 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

All the basics are explained in the helpfile and on the official site...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-05-2005 19:25 Homepage of Surya
Howzy88 Howzy88 is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 30-09-2010

Dude make sure you open all your instruments in a combinator! Do this by right clicking on say mixer channel 1 in the White blank spot... Create.... Combinator! Once you have your combinator up right click in black bar and a red line should appear in the bar then add whatever instrument you going to be useing! The reason why you should do this every time is cuz if u make a realy cool sound u can use it again in any future mixes of yours buy saveing your patch in the combinator! So if u want to use it again just go creat combinator then load your patch that easy Smile ! Plus.... When u start useing automation you gna need it!!! If u dnt already know and would like to know how to use automation then let me know and I will explain! Safe
03-10-2010 18:05
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Reason basics, where do I start?