drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » compressor/gate/expander/limiter... what's the difference?
Go to the bottom of this page compressor/gate/expander/limiter... what's the difference?
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

Can you explain the differenses?

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
23-05-2005 08:21 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

lol

how do you mean? is this a joke?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
23-05-2005 09:46 Homepage of cynik
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Abnormalbrain

well a compressor is a compressor...Makes soounds louder (by making them smaller)

dont know about a gate or expander

but a limiter is like a soft cliper and prevents clippin on your master channel.....

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

23-05-2005 13:29
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:

compressor limiter and expander is actually one tool the difference is in ratio setting

while 2:1, 3:1 etc is compressor
0.5:1 0,7:1 is expander

and when you are using limiter you set a ceiling for example -0,3 db and all sound will be under this value..

gate "cuts" all sounds under some value for example -40db

__

23-05-2005 14:25
@1$-)
unregistered
basically a compressor squashes the dynamic range of a signal, so you can use it to make a sound louder, but its really designed so you can place a sound in the right place of a mix.

a limiter is designed to maximise output without causing clipping, very handy if you need a few more decibels, but this can really kill the dynamics in a tune if you dont do it properly
23-05-2005 15:42
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

compressor:

makes the loud quieter and the quiet louder. good for acuustic guitars or vocals, which can be quite but have big bursts of LOUD volume. the sustained note on a acoustic guitar is than made audiable. and the loud twang is curved off, making it easier to listen to.

gate:

this turns volume off when overall volume gets quite, but not totally silent. for analog equipment, which has a low humm or hiss, like when you just have a guitar plugged into an amp. it will have no sound going through, but still there's a slight hiss, a gate will detect no audiable sounds, and just shut off all sound, thus eliminating any mild noises.

expanders, if i am not mistaken, is like a buffer, to make the use of gate, compressor or limiters not as sharp from on or off, to make it more natural sounding.

for example with the gate, if the sound is slightly fading out, as in a wavering noise, it could trigger the gate, on and off, and make a sharp clicking noise 'stutter' out. to prevent a stutter, of the gate just going on or off, there's a slight buffer. this buffer is the expander.

the expander is set for a certin amount of time. the sound would have to be off, for a consntant amount of time before the gate would shut off all sound, insted of the gate shuting off all sounds as soon as there's the slightest dip in volume.

.... i doubt that makes sence. or that i am even 100% correct...

i just like to use them to make tracks sound more dynamic, with a nice pump to it.....

note: expander is incorrect

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-05-2005 18:55.

23-05-2005 17:26 Homepage of Halph-Price
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
compressor:

makes the loud quieter and the quiet louder. good for acuustic guitars or vocals, which can be quite but have big bursts of LOUD volume. the sustained note on a acoustic guitar is than made audiable. and the loud twang is curved off, making it easier to listen to.

gate:

this turns volume off when overall volume gets quite, but not totally silent. for analog equipment, which has a low humm or hiss, like when you just have a guitar plugged into an amp. it will have no sound going through, but still there's a slight hiss, a gate will detect no audiable sounds, and just shut off all sound, thus eliminating any mild noises.

expanders, if i am not mistaken, is like a buffer, to make the use of gate, compressor or limiters not as sharp from on or off, to make it more natural sounding.

for example with the gate, if the sound is slightly fading out, as in a wavering noise, it could trigger the gate, on and off, and make a sharp clicking noise 'stutter' out. to prevent a stutter, of the gate just going on or off, there's a slight buffer. this buffer is the expander.

the expander is set for a certin amount of time. the sound would have to be off, for a consntant amount of time before the gate would shut off all sound, insted of the gate shuting off all sounds as soon as there's the slightest dip in volume.

.... i doubt that makes sence. or that i am even 100% correct...

i just like to use them to make tracks sound more dynamic, with a nice pump to it.....

An expander, if you look at B-Comp's post, is the same exact thing as a compressor, only it does the opposite. If you change the ratio from 1:3 to 0.5:1, you'll be "expanding" the signal. The louds will get louder, and the quiets will seem to get quieter.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
23-05-2005 18:38 Homepage of spudleyq
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

hmmmm, than i must be confusing it with sometihng else....

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-05-2005 18:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
quote:

compressor limiter and expander is actually one tool the difference is in ratio setting

and when you are using limiter you set a ceiling for example -0,3 db and all sound will be under this value..

This was a very good answer! Bigup

I'd just like to know what a ceiling is. Maybe my english is bad but i don't understand the word.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
23-05-2005 18:56 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
basically a compressor squashes the dynamic range of a signal, so you can use it to make a sound louder, but its really designed so you can place a sound in the right place of a mix.

a limiter is designed to maximise output without causing clipping, very handy if you need a few more decibels, but this can really kill the dynamics in a tune if you dont do it properly

Without causing clipping? How do you think it maximises the output? It clips the top of the signal off, except it uses dithering and good shaping in order to give it a natural sound. But it does indeed clip the top of the waveform.

__

23-05-2005 19:36 Homepage of spudleyq
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
quote:

This was a very good answer! Bigup

I'd just like to know what a ceiling is. Maybe my english is bad but i don't understand the word.

The "ceiling" is the "top" of the waveform. Imagine the highest peak in your waveform, and that's the ceiling. With a limiter, you can set that ceiling lower.

__

23-05-2005 19:39 Homepage of spudleyq
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

do you know what clipping is?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-05-2005 19:53 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Compressor:
Reduces the dynamic range by making all sounds above a certain threshold less loud. When the loudest parts are quieter you can make the whole signal louder since you have created some 'room' at the top. The net result is a louder overall signal.

Limiter:
is the same as a compressor, but with a very high ratio. It will not allow any signals to pass above the set threshold.
A limiter does not cause clipping btw, instead of cutting the peaks it lowers the volume of the signal for the duration of the peak.

Expander:
Works in the opposite way of a compressor. Every signal that drops below a threshold will be dropped even further, effectively increasing the dynamic range. It is mainly used for noise reduction.

Gate:
is the same as an expander but with a very low ratio, it will drop signals below a threshold so fast they will appear to be cut off.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
23-05-2005 20:55 Homepage of thechronic
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C

Without causing clipping? How do you think it maximises the output? It clips the top of the signal off, except it uses dithering and good shaping in order to give it a natural sound. But it does indeed clip the top of the waveform.

clipping is the point where something peaks, and starts to cause digital distortion, yknow when something goes into the red. its when you get little clicks and pops on a track, get some decent speakers and then wack a tune into the red, if your using a decent soundcard, with decent software (not fruity loops or reason) then you will hear it. if you havent got shit ears.

yeh and read what the chronic says.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 24-05-2005 02:01.

24-05-2005 02:00
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » compressor/gate/expander/limiter... what's the difference?