drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Which BPM to use?
Go to the bottom of this page Which BPM to use? 3 Votes - Average Rating: 9.003 Votes - Average Rating: 9.003 Votes - Average Rating: 9.003 Votes - Average Rating: 9.00
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
bpm counter? thast cheating...and bpm counterse dont really work with dnb so??????? anyway...

What makes you say that? Mine worked all right. Confused

cause dnb isnt on a steady 4/4 beat like house or trance...and most bpm counters dont go about 160...the ones on the pioneers dont even go above 160...so it wouldnt even work for dnb...

This one works.

http://www.redsound.com/products/mbpm/

And I know for a fact that a few professional djs use it to plan their sets. Shocked
09-06-2005 11:15
wTrouble wTrouble is a male
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

a couple of things...

firstly, I've heard some producers say that writing your tunes at a slightly lower tempo and upping the bpm slightly once the track is complete can tighten everything up - never tried it, just heard...

secondly, surely, as a dj, as long as the bpm is within the range of the pitch control on the decks, it doesn't matter if the track's bpm is 175.3656985645 or whatever because it's an analogue control and you beatmatch it with whatever the other tune is. The exception here being when the difference between an older tune and a modern one just cant be met on something like technics with +/- 8%

In terms of tunes 'slipping out' this is surely down to the skill of the dj in continually working the pitch control through the course of a mix - for most people, you can't just expect to get two tunes in perfect sync from four bars, so you need to stay on top of it.

I think it would be dull if everybody wrote at a standardised tempo and would take a lot of fun out of djing. I think it's Mickey Finn or Aphroditie that does sets with no headphones, and this would probably be explained if you take into account what someone said above about lots of their tunes being written at the same tempo.

And while I'm ranting, I think it's a serious mistake learning to dj with bpm counters - they're unreliable for a start, and your in deep sheizer when you turn up to play a club and the mixer doesn't have one. You need to be super resilient to different playing circumstances if you play out in different places - dodgy monitors, weird mixers, etc - and can come a cropper if you get too comfortable with the setup you have at home.

Hell, I've seen some well known djs get all stroppy because they can't have the decks turned round sideways Cry

/rant Wink
12-06-2005 12:44
ethex ethex is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-1521.gif

Registration Date: 02-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

170-181 for me Smile

__

06-07-2005 13:27 Homepage of ethex
skeptik
unregistered
This is a common mistake amongst Drum'n'Bass producers who are just starting out.
The most common BPM is 174. As you must remeber that when a DJ is playing you record at a club it will be pitched anything upto 6%! so have that in mind when you are writing the tune. Often what happens people write at 180 because it sounds like a tune you will hear in a rave but they forget its been pitched up!

The consiquence of writing a tune at this pace is that when someone plays it at a club it will sound "slow" or the drums will not be as sharp as the other tunes that are being played, i found this out when i first started writing, i always wrote at 180BPM but when i eventually got a DUB cut and played it out it sounded abit "slow" compared to the other tunes!

Well i hope this helps some people.

If you need to know anything else just mail. me.

skeptik@hotmail.co.uk
08-07-2005 17:14
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Which BPM to use?