drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Which BPM to use?
Go to the bottom of this page Which BPM to use? 3 Votes - Average Rating: 9.003 Votes - Average Rating: 9.003 Votes - Average Rating: 9.003 Votes - Average Rating: 9.00
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

173.632bpm seems about right to me. Big Grin

IMO people should vary their speed as much as possible to give the djs something to do, make them work the pitch faders a bit.
22-05-2005 16:59
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

idd, rarely use the same bpm for every track.. that's something i lay down the minute i start working on something.

I like low bpms a lot better nowadays, the drums get more space and the sounds are more pronounced. it's easier to get a groove going when they are slow than using fast bpm imo.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 22-05-2005 17:21.

22-05-2005 17:20 Homepage of Emblem-X
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

I worked with BPM 190 but surya said its too fast so now I work with BPM 180... not that much difference.
22-05-2005 22:12
apollo creed apollo creed is a male

Registration Date: 29-12-2004

ppl shuld stop getting in 1 fixed mind set. if the tune chords timbre wat eva sounds good 1 type of bpm instead of anova stick wiv tht. dont make make all your tunes the same speed because it will make all your tunes monotonous to a certain degree
22-05-2005 22:45
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by apollo creed
dont make make all your tunes the same speed because it will make all your tunes monotonous to a certain degree

Lol

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-05-2005 06:53 Homepage of Surya
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
Originally posted by apollo creed
dont make make all your tunes the same speed because it will make all your tunes monotonous to a certain degree

Lol

I have to agree with Surya Big Grin
You can have two tracks with the same BPM and they could be totally diffirent...
I was mixing on my pc the other day (traktor is da bomb Pleased ) and I had 2 tracks that were exactly the same BPM, and one was very atmospheric, chill, jazzy, LTJ-Bukem type, and the other track was something like Dillinja, or at least something with a very rough hard bass Cool .
23-05-2005 10:53
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by greyone
I worked with BPM 190 but surya said its too fast so now I work with BPM 180...

Hey, if it works for you, why don't you keep the BPM?!

PS
You have a mind on your own? Of course you do. Do as you please! Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-05-2005 19:38 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by gls

That seems like a right one ROFL

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-05-2005 19:40 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by muaddib
quote:
Originally posted by gls

That seems like a right one ROFL

and then call the tune "asshole"
once the dj's mixin, he'll understand why... Big Grin

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
23-05-2005 19:45 Homepage of Friscko
PassDa J. PassDa J. is a male
Sliced Slasher

images/avatars/avatar-1378.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.17

Holy shit man that's a lot of info in my face, thanks allot Happy

I set my pitch at 180 now, like the fast stuff ...

but I realized that actually the bpm doesn't really count cause you can make some crazy banging shit at a low pitch too .. I tried Smile complete chaos Drummer

But thanks anyways ...

__

05-06-2005 21:38
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i just stick to 175 bpm for all my tracks. comes in handy if you bounce something, and if you later on ditch the track, you can easily recall parts in a new project.

i used to program my beats at a lower bpm (140 or so), and then raise it to 175. worked well to get a groove going.

and if you want to trouble a dj, use 2 bar interludes Big Grin
beatmatching is the easiest part of dj'ing
05-06-2005 22:52 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by wicked_wayz
beatmatching is the easiest part of dj'ing

hahaha and i'm signed to Barcode since i posted my first track here.

185 it is for me!!

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-06-2005 22:55 Homepage of Friscko
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by muaddib
About the pitch - I never change the master pitch setting (although I tried it a few times after a finished tune - wow! You can make DARKSTEP or FUNKY dnb just by changing the master pitch up or down!) but when I imagine a tune with its genre, I work all the sounds in that pitch (it comes up by it self).

When you change the master pitch, some sounds tend to dissapear, like hihats or bass linez. The bass linez sound like sub-bass linez, and the hihats like ghost snares Big Grin
Or when you raise it - the basses are like synth linez, and hihats like some flickering electric charges... (u know, half-life stuff)...

It goes like this:

Highest - Jump-up, Neurofunk

High - Funk dnb, a piece of normal dnb, trancestep

medium - lite drumnbass (ltj bukem), normal drumnbass

Low - jungle, dark drumnbass, techstep

Lowest - darkcore, darkstep, industrial

that made no sense...especially when darkstep/hardstep/techstep are liek the same thing...and like jump-up and funky stuff are basically the same thing also...that analysis really didnt make sense...

and i second wiked ways comment... beatmatching is the easiest part of DJing...its keeping everone on teh dancefloor dancing and certain people going to thebar thats the hard part... anyone can mix 2 records...not everyone can keeppeople interested enough to dance and make money for the club..

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Surora23: 06-06-2005 04:33.

06-06-2005 04:31

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by gls

IMO people should vary their speed as much as possible to give the djs something to do, make them work the pitch faders a bit.

that shits a pain in the ass...dont do that...i have no many records that no matter how hard you try...the damn things wont stay matched...as to wear others you can match so perfectly you can run them through the entire duration of the song and theylll never go off...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

06-06-2005 04:38
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:
Originally posted by gls

that shits a pain in the ass...dont do that...i have no many records that no matter how hard you try...the damn things wont stay matched...as to wear others you can match so perfectly you can run them through the entire duration of the song and theylll never go off...

it appears ones that have a harder shuffle setting tend to be harder for mixing with ones (MOST actually) that dont have shuffle at all.

I dont have much xperience in mixing but I know what youre talking about - the drums go off and no matter how you try (slide the fader) it cannot match perfectly..

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
06-06-2005 11:01 Homepage of cynik
gls
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gls

What I meant was to make each track you are working on a different speed, not to keep changing the speed of 1 tune.

I used to use a mixer with a bpm counter on it and you'd be surprised how many records are exactly the same speed, as far as I could tell all the Urban Takeover and Aphrodite records are the same. You could literally do a mix of them without changing the pitch once. That's just wrong if you ask me, I'd sooner spend my time matching beats and getting the pitch right than just cueing them up and mixing them in every time.

I noticed that a lot of b sides are the same speed as the a sides as well.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gls: 08-06-2005 11:44.

08-06-2005 11:44

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by gls
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gls

What I meant was to make each track you are working on a different speed, not to keep changing the speed of 1 tune.

I used to use a mixer with a bpm counter on it and you'd be surprised how many records are exactly the same speed, as far as I could tell all the Urban Takeover and Aphrodite records are the same. You could literally do a mix of them without changing the pitch once. That's just wrong if you ask me, I'd sooner spend my time matching beats and getting the pitch right than just cueing them up and mixing them in every time.

I noticed that a lot of b sides are the same speed as the a sides as well.

bpm counter? thast cheating...and bpm counterse dont really work with dnb so??????? anyway...

Thats more or less producer preference...and i guess it goes with the track as well...but you have to keep in mind...most peopel arent gonna spin entirely one persons collection of singles...maybe a labels...but not just one person...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-06-2005 17:09

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gls

it appears ones that have a harder shuffle setting tend to be harder for mixing with ones (MOST actually) that dont have shuffle at all.

I dont have much xperience in mixing but I know what youre talking about - the drums go off and no matter how you try (slide the fader) it cannot match perfectly..

exactly and its case they use these half settings...on the bpm...a technics has a 0.2 accuracy...theyre the best tables to get closest to these bpms but sometimes ya just cant do it...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-06-2005 17:11
gls
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
bpm counter? thast cheating...and bpm counterse dont really work with dnb so??????? anyway...

What makes you say that? Mine worked all right. Confused

quote:
Thats more or less producer preference...and i guess it goes with the track as well...but you have to keep in mind...most peopel arent gonna spin entirely one persons collection of singles...maybe a labels...but not just one person...

I was just using them as en example... why does everyone have to take everything so literally on this forum? Quite a few producers/labels seemed to have a favourite speed, Aphrodite and Urban Takeover weren't the only ones.

TBH though if you or anyone else wants to make every tune they ever make at exactly the same speed then go ahead, it's nothing to do with me and I couldn't care less really.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gls: 09-06-2005 01:06.

09-06-2005 01:04

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

What makes you say that? Mine worked all right. Confused

cause dnb isnt on a steady 4/4 beat like house or trance...and most bpm counters dont go about 160...the ones on the pioneers dont even go above 160...so it wouldnt even work for dnb...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

09-06-2005 02:52
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Which BPM to use?