drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » what does "mastering" contain?
Go to the bottom of this page what does "mastering" contain?
Author
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Hi I've been producing for a while now, but I never got the right sound...
I heard some people distort their basslines?? Confused
anyway, I managed to make my own drumloops, give them the right sound and stuff like that, but now the rest of the track. Do I need to compress the whole track? I got each channel seperated, so what about the eq'ing?
do I need more bassfreq's? or higher freq's? what about filtering? Lo-cut or hi-cut? Please help, I'd appreciate it alot!!!
Greetz

__

18-05-2005 20:49 Homepage of Rude
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Rude
I heard some people distort their basslines?? Confused

I distort ALL my basslines Big Grin

quote:
Do I need to compress the whole track?

No, or very little!

quote:
I got each channel seperated, so what about the eq'ing?

Try getting each sound in their own frequency range so they don't conflict with eachother, make sure no sound overpowers another unless you want it to, listen very carefully if you can hear all the elements you're supposed to hear during the entire tune

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-05-2005 20:57 Homepage of Surya
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

so how do you distort your basslines? If I distort mine, it clicks and clips

__

18-05-2005 21:19 Homepage of Rude
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Clipping is a form of distortion, you know. How you do it? Take a distortion effect and put it to the setting you feel is right...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-05-2005 21:20 Homepage of Surya
@1$-)
unregistered
personally i suggest you worry about getting your mix sounding good.
then export the whole track as audio (mixdown) but dont incluse any compression or limiting on the master channel...then pay to get it mastered. check out audioplexus...(google it)

dont worry about compressing the whole track, there no point if you dont know what your doing........compressing things individually is not a bad idea....its ideal if you need to seperate your kick and your bassline, you have to decide which one you want "underneath"....i normally try and have my kick punchy and my bass underneath it, so ill notch out the frequency of the bass at 125hz, which leaves room for the punchy sound of the kick......but you really do need some decent plug ins to do this accurately. and just experiment, even if your not making a whole tune..mess around......until you get something your happy with.........
18-05-2005 21:39
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Mastering is getting your tune to sound the same on most (or all) sound systems. This includes making a spicy sound out of some regular, making the sound feel warm (you know, phat basses and filled up sound feeling), controlled dynamics of the track...

The dynamics is controled by a compressor. Compressor is a kind of limiter, but with more adjustable characteristics. Plus it allows clipping and distorsion in limited amounts, which are setable.

The sound can feel warm either by lowering the dynamics of the tune, or by using a tube eq or compressor which adds tube feel (a little reverb of some kind) which feels warm and cosy. Or by combining both of them.

Spicy sound can be created by adding a synth with the same note/chord line in the background, so it is not easily heard (this can be achieved by killing the original sound but letting the reverb of it to be heard) but adds to the original sound that spicy feeling.

All mastering tends to put the sound into the most used part of frequency spectrum (that is from 150Hz to 15 000Hz) so that all sound systems can present the sound. The else is left for sound maniacs that try to determine every hihat and its clearness Big Grin

If your tune clips (the dB counter reaches over 0dB) then it creates distorsion because the the sound system cannot support it, and it is something like skratching over a hard surface. Don't do it too much or you will burn your speakers and/or amplifier Smile

To reduce this there is one sure option: lower all punchy, fast sounds first. But not too much (since this is drum and bass, and drumnbass has to has punchy sound). Then lower massive basslines and reeces (these add too much distorsion to the tune, if too loud). HiHats can create distorsion if too loud because they are repetative and always present.

A compressor can help you keep the sounds below the 0dB limit, but I never use it for that. The reason is that when a sound reaches the odB limit, the compressor kills it, but kills all other sounds at the same moment. Yes, there are multiband compressors (which add different compression at different spectrum frequency ranges) but that won't help you too much.

Just try to keep the clipping to the lowest possible value you can make it (without killing the spice of your sound) and leave mastering to engineers, or add a simple, normal compressor. You will not loose anything, but you can receive some power in the mix (if you increase the GAIN value) Big Grin )

This was my take on this Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
19-05-2005 00:50 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

for eq, i hear from a lot of people, high and low pass all the sounds you don't need. i.e. high-pass the hihats, and low pass the sub's.

compression for entire tracks, i sugggest only if you have a mutli-band compressor. there are some high quality limiters taht should only be used very gently. computer plug-in compressors don't sound as good if you use too much of them. less is more.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 15-08-2007 19:46.

19-05-2005 06:35 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

The things you talk about in the first post are not done in mastering. If a mastering engineer would distort your low end he would be out of a job really quickly Big Grin

Mastering is very subtle, it's the final part in the mixing process. It starts off from the stereo mix and it applies the final compression, dynamic EQ and fade-in/fade-out using very high quality equipment.

Like muaddib said, it's basically done to smooth out the frequency response so it plays well on a wide range of systems.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-05-2005 10:32 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

... unlike the mixdown, which happens before the mastering, where every channel gets EQed, delayed, reverbed... to taste and everything gets its own place in the mix

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

19-05-2005 11:09 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
... unlike the mixdown, which happens before the mastering, where every channel gets EQed, delayed, reverbed... to taste and everything gets its own place in the mix

Which is, actually, what you do in your sequencer's mixer window Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
19-05-2005 13:31 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by muaddib
quote:

Indeed, but you should acually do it in a studio with a studio technician Smile

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

19-05-2005 13:59 Homepage of Surya
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:

NOOOO I make tunes for fun ! Not to get famous... just wanna know how to get a better sound... I'm not gonna spend about 500 € to get a track mastered by pro's just for fun!

__

19-05-2005 16:44 Homepage of Rude
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you saying that you should do the mixdown in a real studio with a studio technician?
I thought you did that by your self and mastered in a big studio with a studio techinician.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
19-05-2005 17:36 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
so how do you distort your basslines? If I distort mine, it clicks and clips

Listen : If you work with FL you can use Fruity Blood Overdrive !!!!

just set the x100 button and make shure the Pre Amp ( distortion FX ) and the Gain button ( velocity of Amp) are right !

than you have to use Fruity Compressor !!! to make shure yo distorted bass sounds well .

just try... Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Greyone: 19-05-2005 17:46.

19-05-2005 17:42
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

I don't have FL... sorry

__

19-05-2005 18:42 Homepage of Rude
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

then get it!! Big Grin
what u have?

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
19-05-2005 18:45 Homepage of Friscko
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

Magix music maker Big Grin
lol it sucks I know...

__

19-05-2005 18:46 Homepage of Rude
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

mostly in fl, i dont really need to master, just add the neccesary fx to all thinhg that need it.
reeverb on beats
distortion(not too much)+bassboost on bass
delay on sounds, vocalsn effect, shizzl
all u really have to do is setting the levels off all the sounds right, u just have to hear that...
fl is so easy, jsut buy it....

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
19-05-2005 18:51 Homepage of Friscko
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

Helpfulness rating: 

haha yea I'll ask spudley the "screensaver"-man

__

19-05-2005 18:56 Homepage of Rude
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Abnormalbrain
Are you saying that you should do the mixdown in a real studio with a studio technician?
I thought you did that by your self and mastered in a big studio with a studio techinician.

No, coz if the mixdown is off, you can't properly master. The mixdown is the most important part. If the mixdown is of good quality, you can still do a lot in the mastering. If not, you'll never get it to sound good.
Mastering doesn't cost as much as mixdown too...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

20-05-2005 07:17 Homepage of Surya
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » what does "mastering" contain?