drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » CD-writer trouble
Go to the bottom of this page CD-writer trouble
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Damn damn damn I'm having serious trouble with my cd-burner. I want to back up everything to reinstall my PC but I can't make reliable backups. I used to have a cheap Lite-On writer, and every time I burned something the verification fails with results like 8 correct files, 41 bad files...

So I bought a Plextor... same shit. Tried 4 brands of CD-R's (TDK - Sony - Philips - Lead Data), and speeds ranging from 4x to 48x... killed all background tasks before starting... no matter what, it always fails! The best results I got was a 50% success rate. I mean I can't take backups this way, if half of the files are corrupt in the best case Frown

Does anyone have an idea what this can be caused by?? I've had loads of writers before, started with a Philips 2x writer when I was working for Philips 8 years ago and never had problems, but now it's just completely messed up... I have wasted over 50 CDs by now trying to find a solution Frown

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
15-05-2003 22:20 Homepage of thechronic
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

what pc are u working with ?

__
It's a spiritual thing !

15-05-2003 23:15
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Shocked

Extreme waste of CD!
Dunno what it could be... how about making a backup on an external HD?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

16-05-2003 07:28 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

My PC is an ECS K7VTA3 v1.0, got a cheap DVD-player on the same IDE-channel. OS is W2000 professional SP3. Got BIOS and drive firmware flashed to latest versions.

I could make a backup on an external drive but I'll have to buy one... I got 100GB on two drives but both are full to the brim Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
16-05-2003 08:57 Homepage of thechronic
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-11.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Shocked Shocked Shocked no shit man 50 CD's Shocked Shocked can't help you out with that problem

__
Sun
16-05-2003 10:04
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
My PC is an ECS K7VTA3 v1.0, got a cheap DVD-player on the same IDE-channel. OS is W2000 professional SP3. Got BIOS and drive firmware flashed to latest versions.

I could make a backup on an external drive but I'll have to buy one... I got 100GB on two drives but both are full to the brim Big Grin

CPU ?? RAM ?
a dvd player on the same ide channel should be no problem (if you put the CDR as master and the dvd as slave drive tho)

__
It's a spiritual thing !

16-05-2003 10:53
boognish boognish is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-4.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Try this: http://www.pcpitstop.com

If they don't find anything, you can try SiSoft's Sandra (download hier): this tool will diagnose your entire PC, including MoBo tempreature and shit. If there's anything wrong with your config, Sandra should find it.

If it's faulty hardware it will be more difficult. Try the manufacturere's site for diagnostic software or helpfull FAQ's, forums, ...

You can also try re-installing your ASPI-layer. Since more than one drive fails on your system, it might be the ASPI-layer instead of the drives.
16-05-2003 14:34
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » CD-writer trouble