drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Mac mini or cheap PC for music production?
Go to the bottom of this page Mac mini or cheap PC for music production?
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

The minimac's, packard bell & stuff are very hard to upgrade. Best option if you know some things about computers IMO is to go to a decent computer shop nearby and compose your own system. Then you can always upgrade later. Last time I got a total upgrade it cost me around €700 to get a top system. To upgrade it today I would have to spend a little more, but still.

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
- Silent PSU

Which one did you get? I'm looking for a silent, good, not too expensive psu to put in my system myself.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 16-05-2005 22:31.

16-05-2005 22:31 Homepage of djfreemc
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
quote:
Originally posted by Surya
- Silent PSU

Which one did you get? I'm looking for a silent, good, not too expensive psu to put in my system myself.

Get one of these:
- Zalman ZM-series
- Enermax Noisetaker series
- Revoltec BeQuiet series
- OCZ Powerstream series

They all have models ranging from 350-500W depending on your needs, with prices starting around 75 euro. A decent 400W power supply always costs at least 90-100 euro, stay clear of the standard PSUs - they may be very cheap (some even around 15 euro) but they usually have instable currents which lower the lifetime of your system drastically.

My favourites are the Zalmans and the BeQuiets (which have a really slick black mirror finish Wink )

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
17-05-2005 01:48 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I got Case-Master CHS-400 Dual fan 400w CE which will cost me €55
Would have liked the TAGAN TG480-U22 High quality 480w, but it's €110, and I'm on an extremely tight buget!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

17-05-2005 07:18 Homepage of Surya
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i don't know why you think it's a good idea to build your own computer, you'd have to find out if everything is truly compatible with eachother. that's why MAC's are looked as so "stable" is because there is no conflic between the hardwre, where as with pc's unless you are going to check it all your self any conflics can cause a slow down on your preformance. this is even worse fi you just buy a bunch of parts and put them together. there are pc's gearsed for music design, but unless you're going to check all the part's for compatability and take all the neccisary modifications to mkae the pc more stable for audio production, you can look into a audio pc for about 1k CND from www.sweetwater.com or such

for the same price as a crappy DELL celeron you get a full made AUDIO PC!!!
alternative to getting all the parts and throwing them together-
http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/tower.php

it's expandable and eerything also. i mean this is your price range with the convertion is it not? and i am not just bsing you with all of this.
this is what the head of the music production school told me about computers. Pleased
unless you know how to make the PC tuned for audio, get this. or a mac, but since you can't get a G5, this i what you need. later you can get a few more dollars for more ram, and another dh, and and audiophile or something.

instead of a minimac-
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MusicXPCC1exp/

:p

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

17-05-2005 17:18 Homepage of Halph-Price
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Well well, you probably don't know it, but Dell, HP, and all the other PC manufacturer are using there own standard, so you can't upgrade so much on it and it can cost you a hell lot more than your "down the road" computer shop in case of trouble....

Ex: you got A HP computer, then one day the power unite blew off... In most case, you'll just have to change the PU, but not on this one: Since the motherboard is not "standard", youy have 2 options: Get a new motherboard or, call HP and ask them for their shitty PU, which cost something like 90 Eur and which is not compatible with other motherboard....

I'm working in technical support for five years now, and IMO, just better to buy a "local" homemade PC in the long term, and if you get it built, you'll be sure to avoid compatibility probs......

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
17-05-2005 19:24
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by tetsuo
Ex: you got A HP computer, then one day the power unite blew off... In most case, you'll just have to change the PU, but not on this one: Since the motherboard is not "standard", youy have 2 options: Get a new motherboard or, call HP and ask them for their shitty PU, which cost something like 90 Eur and which is not compatible with other motherboard....

lol man, thats so true, ive been doing tech support work for a fair while now and ive seen so many people in that exact same situation. There is a manufacturer over here in the UK called Tiny and they are notorius for making shitty cases in which nothing fits.

Def make sure you get something with a standard case, PSU, & motherboard then if something fucks its easy to fix & if you wanna upgrade then its no probs
17-05-2005 19:53
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

well that first one is a standard case. so yea...

again these computers are designed specficly for audio production. they would run faster and smoother than the equavalant dell or hp.
unless you want the computer for word processing.

the choices are -
1) Audio Factory PC
2)learn how to make Audio PC
3) mac

cuz even thoes dell computers are the same price as the audio pc's since there both pre-made. and any upgrades you purchase off the basicy system, is also geared towards audio preformance.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 18-05-2005 05:36.

18-05-2005 05:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

there's the possibilty i could buy a pentium3 @ 1Ghz from a friend of mine for a small price. could use that one temporarely so i can go on with producin, and save money for a g5 or a totally audio based pc

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
18-05-2005 20:16 Homepage of Friscko
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

how about : crackin an xbox (733mHz Pentium+233mHZ nVidia GeForce) to a Linux pc Big Grin xbox is €150 now, mod (crack) costs €20...

__

29-06-2005 17:55 Homepage of Friscko
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

Come on Friscko......... Roll Eyes

Try this link:

http://search.ebay.fr/_W0QQsassZpcQ5fdolph

Def worth having a look, trust me on that one!!!!!

Also the page is host on .fr but you can change it to .de if you prefer!!!

Peace

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 30-06-2005 12:16.

29-06-2005 18:12
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Come on Friscko......... Roll Eyes

Big Grin Big Grin was scrollin some site with mod-chips for xbox and saw that..
those mods are cool tough..makes it able to very very very very very illigal stuff with yer xbox Wink Big Grin

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Friscko: 29-06-2005 18:54.

29-06-2005 18:53 Homepage of Friscko
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

hmm, i think that for a budge it's a good idea. you can rewire keyboards and mouses to work for it also. but... for a music program. i dunno.

would be pimpin.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

29-06-2005 20:13 Homepage of Halph-Price
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

maybe as an extra pc, running only a few vst's so the main pc has less cpu usage..

__

29-06-2005 21:24 Homepage of Friscko
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

Euh.... is there any music soft for linux? Does vst works for linux? what about the sound card in the xbox? ( most important one in your case..... Bigup ).....

Come on guys, that's a SHITTY idea.......

Btw, the linux mods chips are availble for ages now, and it's only a 733 Mhz shitty pentium on a really shitty motherboard as well....

PC rules ( home grown always better!!!!! Big Grin )

Checked the link????????

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 29-06-2005 22:39.

29-06-2005 22:23
realrocksound realrocksound is a male

Registration Date: 23-07-2005

Ultimatley the G5 is the super work horse, but I looked into the mac mini a bit, its just a personel comp. U could run reason and even ProTools or Cubase but u need ram and the cpu would get clogged up up by vst's and rtas.

Bad Ass PC:

1 Asus KV8 motherboard
Athelon Processor
1 or 2 GB ram
dvd burner
cdrw
and a couple hard drives
and sound card of your choice, I run MBOX

this is recomended by DigiDesign and Stienberg as a compitent PC!

Not that expensive!

Good Luck, Dont Buy that Mac MINI DUDE PLS DONT!

__
my sound
04-08-2005 19:20
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

not only "a couple of hard drives"

but routed in a way, so they back up eachother, and with three of them, f one of the harddrives crash, yuo'll have a complete backup of all lost information.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

05-08-2005 01:12 Homepage of Halph-Price
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Euh.... is there any music soft for linux? Does vst works for linux? what about the sound card in the xbox? ( most important one in your case..... Bigup ).....

Come on guys, that's a SHITTY idea.......

Btw, the linux mods chips are availble for ages now, and it's only a 733 Mhz shitty pentium on a really shitty motherboard as well....

Checked the link????????

Well there's Ardour which you can combine with Muse and Hydrogen, Audacity works under Linux. So you can have some sort of professional looking system, all for free (of course). But installing ALSA and JACK and configuring your soundcard can really be a pain in the ass , especially when there's no ALSA driver for your card but only OSS (Should really really buy a new soundcard).

http://ardour.org/
http://www.muse-sequencer.org/
http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

some others
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/
05-08-2005 03:01
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

can you upgrade laptops? I saw a an acer laptop with enuff power to satisgfy me for only 750€

__

08-08-2005 15:47 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
can you upgrade laptops? I saw a an acer laptop with enuff power to satisgfy me for only 750€

You can upgrade them, but it is a lot harder and more limited than on desktops, and laptop components are usuallay a lot more expensive than their desktop versions. Since you want to buy a pc for production, you will also need to buy an aditional external or PC-card based soundcard to get the audio quality you need.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
09-08-2005 11:12 Homepage of djfreemc
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

attach headphone out to soundsystem?

it's how i do it now, and it works fine

__

09-08-2005 12:09 Homepage of Friscko
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Mac mini or cheap PC for music production?