drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » does being a musician make u a better producer???
Go to the bottom of this page does being a musician make u a better producer???
Author
unregistered
my first luv was the guitar, ive been playing for around twelve years now. i have no problems in saying this has helped me no end with the production of my tunes, i understand chord thoery and the way instrumentation works. i was curious if theres any others on the site who are musicians in the traditional sense and if its helped their production. and also what the "non" musicians think about it.

and i dont want to hear "we are all musicians cause we program drums etcetc ectc etc etc" its a bit obvious!
05-05-2005 18:36
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

you tell me, i'm not a musician.
i dont know anything about notes and stuff, still got quite positive comment on my last tunes here..

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-05-2005 18:39 Homepage of Friscko
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
you tell me, i'm not a musician.
i dont know anything about notes and stuff, still got quite positive comment on my last tunes here..

im not telling u your not a musician!!!!
id even go as far as saying a dj is a musician
05-05-2005 18:45
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

then i'm a double musician!

I do think yer melodies will be better if ur a musician who knows what notes and thing like that are, and/or plays an instrument.

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-05-2005 18:52 Homepage of Friscko
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I started off with playing electric guitar. Then I bought myself one. Started learning all new things and stuff.. Bought a bassguitar, started to learn playin' bass.. Then I learned how to drum. This is very usefull in dnb-production: rythm
Then I started with drumnbass. shortly after that, I registered myself here. Yup I'm a producer since my registration date.
There. That was my life. Pleased

__

05-05-2005 18:57 Homepage of Rude
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
my first luv was the guitar, ive been playing for around twelve years now. i have no problems in saying this has helped me no end with the production of my tunes, i understand chord thoery and the way instrumentation works. i was curious if theres any others on the site who are musicians in the traditional sense and if its helped their production. and also what the "non" musicians think about it.

and i dont want to hear "we are all musicians cause we program drums etcetc ectc etc etc" its a bit obvious!

played guitar for about a year...djing for 4..producing for one...

yea sure it does...ive taken a few piano lessons...but nothing major...but i would say it would deffinitely help you...its always good to know notes, chords etc...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

05-05-2005 19:12
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I think that without the "no-musicians" experimenting in the area of music producing, we wouldn't have today: skratching, itching (added without sense), synthesizers, drumnbass, jungle, "Red red love"-UB40, Russian Roulette, sex etc...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-05-2005 22:09 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

These non-musical technicians are a vital part of electronic music and are the inovators that have given us the tools to work with. However, I think it takes a musician/songwriter to make a truely complete song with a complicated interwoven structure (ex. Pendulum - another planet) instead of just a track ex. even many of the renegade hardware guys got away with a big heavy bass and a steady unchanging beat - but now it seems to get signed you need that alongside of an intelligently written song. I think all dnb producers would benefit from sitting down and writing their music out, not necessarily with notes etc. but just as a thought web perhaps accompanied by recording the main hook, chorus, verses, bridge etc. onto a dictaphone or whatever. Anyways - just some thoughts.

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
06-05-2005 04:41 Homepage of Nosrac

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Nosrac
These non-musical technicians are a vital part of electronic music and are the inovators that have given us the tools to work with. However, I think it takes a musician/songwriter to make a truely complete song with a complicated interwoven structure (ex. Pendulum - another planet) instead of just a track ex. even many of the renegade hardware guys got away with a big heavy bass and a steady unchanging beat - but now it seems to get signed you need that alongside of an intelligently written song. I think all dnb producers would benefit from sitting down and writing their music out, not necessarily with notes etc. but just as a thought web perhaps accompanied by recording the main hook, chorus, verses, bridge etc. onto a dictaphone or whatever. Anyways - just some thoughts.

idd...i personally dont liek another planet at all...but pendulum has continuously laid out amazing tracks...it takes a lot ot lay out tracks like that...big ups to those 3...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

06-05-2005 05:08
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

producers, in music, although not a instrument playing musician, have an art of there own to preform.

Composers of music, at any time of age, we're considered MORE than muscians. but infact, GREAT people, and muscians, mear TOOLS for the music, and not even as significant.

and ya, it helps to know how to play what your composing, that's why i am learning piano. and drum machines Tongue

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

06-05-2005 06:45 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

I dont currently play any instruments but I am getting a drumkit in about a about a week Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Girlfriend & neighbours are gonna love me Tongue

I hoping that learning to play the drums, as well as eventually trying to like play in a band or something, will help me in programming by beats for d&b. I think actually learning some music theory will probably help quite a bit as well.

oh I played the trumpet for a while when I was younger but I wasnt very good Big Grin
06-05-2005 15:16
@1$-)
unregistered
yeh i also played the trumpe when i ws about eleven, but i was sick over my tutor so it didint last long after that. poor guy i had been eating cheese n branston pickle sandwiches. h aha aha ha
06-05-2005 17:12
iNSiGHt iNSiGHt is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-745.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I have played bass for 16 years (also guitar and piano from a composing angle). I have played in bands from punk to jazz.

I think the musical knowledge I have does help me when working out key signatures, but to be honest I think that, DnB especially, relies on instinct. If you know synthesis and sound then you can reproduce the sounds in your head.

All my musical knowledge really gives me is a few tricks to try if I get stuck, but the rules I have learnt can sometimes hinder me from being daring.

The thing about musical knowledge is that they are rules and the thing about DnB is that there aren't any.

When learning to play Jazz, my teacher said the thing with Jazz is that you have to know all the rules before you know how you can break them.

Music to me is a form of free expression, so in that definition that is the only rule that should apply.

PEACE

iNSiGHt

__
"since when has this music ever been about making fuckin money!"
07-05-2005 12:35
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Does anyone has a good link to a website or a PDF file .doc file or sumthing, so that I can learn the basics (and further) of music theory etc? Smile Please post it 'ere Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
07-05-2005 13:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

People who make noises that make other people feel beter are caled musicians . If you can't do that you are not a musician . It does not matter if the music is jazz , drum & bass or any other type of music that there is .

Drum & bass is ofcause also music so it is made by musicians .

A violinist has a violin as a tool , a producer has a studio as a tool . They are both musicians .

Greetings Dirk .

Music Theory
07-05-2005 13:34
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

idd...i personally dont liek another planet at all...but pendulum has continuously laid out amazing tracks...it takes a lot ot lay out tracks like that...big ups to those 3...

I'm not saying another planet is the greatest tune in the world, in fact it is overly edgy and fuzzy compared with his more recent stuff. I am purely talking about song structure where it feels like a song rather than just a track (intro, first drop, chill part, second drop, abrupt end) - it was just the first example that came to mind that most people would recognize).

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
07-05-2005 20:29 Homepage of Nosrac

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

I'm not saying another planet is the greatest tune in the world, in fact it is overly edgy and fuzzy compared with his more recent stuff. I am purely talking about song structure where it feels like a song rather than just a track (intro, first drop, chill part, second drop, abrupt end) - it was just the first example that came to mind that most people would recognize).

most dnb tracks are structured this way... pendulum just had huge htis and everyone talks about them...msot dnb tracks have an intro...that quet pint etc...and it flows...its not the structure its the elements behind it that make it so good...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-05-2005 04:43
stino stino is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-237.gif

Registration Date: 13-07-2003

www.freesheetmusic.com

to answer on muaddib's question

erm

played the guitar for 5 years now

took solfege lessons when i was younger, piano lessons

seriously considering drumlessons

__
www.myspace.com/stinomg
www.myspace.com/circlelogicband
08-05-2005 10:49 Homepage of stino
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by stino
www.freesheetmusic.com

to answer on muaddib's question

Ain't working. Smile

__

-Bene Gesserit
08-05-2005 14:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » does being a musician make u a better producer???