drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Tips For Using Samples In Fl Studio
Go to the bottom of this page Tips For Using Samples In Fl Studio
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 18-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

TIPS FOR USING FL STUDIIO WITH SAMPLES

Lots of people are useless with synths or too lazy to learn (I've been very lazy lately :teethSmile how to use one, so here's some tips on using samples in FL Studio.

<1> For a warping, techy bass, try using layers of filters. This can be done w/ the fl filter, though I would personally recommend the Antares filter.

<2> Try layering a bandpass with a lowpass and filter stabs in and out; however, don't record the automation. Instead, use the event editor and draw it using short stab notes, then filter in and outon the note so they are very quick filter sweeps at very rapid intervals.

<3> Reeces: I hear a lot of people simply use a blatant reece sample and sequence it. Try filtering it and layering it with other reeces. Try also layering the same reece twice, then detuning one by 1/4 of a semi-tone, then inverting the phase of the first one to create a phasing, sweeping reece. IF YOU DON'T DETUNE ONE WHEN YOU INVERT THE PHASE, THEY WILL CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT.

<4> In the misc settings of the FL Wrapper/Sampler, there is a portamento setting with a "mono" button, "porto" button, a porto dial, and a polyphonic setting for determining how many notes of polyphony to assign to the sample. Try setting the mono button and the porto button, then turning the dial up so the notes bend into each other. This will give the reece a more organic and natural feel, instead of boring notes that just sound like shit samples sequenced in the most basic sequencer (which does NOT give FL the credit it deserves).

<5> Fl Studio has a vast amount of audio editing tools build in compared to earlier versions. Start to use them, they will give you samples a more original sound. There is also an option to record audio, so do mad fucked-up things and record 'em. You never know what you might invent.

<6> Subtlety is a great thing with effects. FL has some effecs, granted they're not amazing, but they're ok a sufficient to make a professional sound. Use slight amounts of things like flange and chorus to brighten up your sounds.

<7> Also, try using the envelopes more. The FL sampler allows you to envelope the pitch, volume, and filter. You can also LFO the filter pitch and volume, so there is plenty to mash your sounds with.

<8> THE MIXER, people: You have a 64 channel, fully bussable mixer, and you can route channel to channel to channel, each with 8 insert VST fx, plus 4 send channel. Each channel has panning control, gain stereo expander, and 3 band parametric EQ. You can also record the output from any of those channels individually, or as a whole master output. You have the option to use any VST or DX plugin you chose, thus opening your options to mangle your sounds even more.

<9> Remember, having HQ samples to start with helps, though it isn't essential with today's restoration tools available. et to know your sampler fully though, i thas soooo many options.

Anyway, bit of a ramble, but FL Studio now stands up to be a promising and easy-to-use, affordably priced productiona nd recording/editing suite. I do, however, recomment an external app for mastering, such as Wavelab, etc., as FL does not have the tools necessary for Surround Sound editing, there are no 5.1 tools.

These aren't exact guidelines to making sick tracks, but they give some insight into using FL Studio as a proffessional audio editing and production suite.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by desecration: 03-05-2005 06:23.

03-05-2005 04:19 Homepage of desecration
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Thanks a lot man, im gonna try this reece-thing out sometime soon. Bigup
03-05-2005 09:34
dNk dNk is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-230.jpg

Registration Date: 29-02-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

nice one Happy Bigup
03-05-2005 20:15
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

nice work.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

04-05-2005 09:12 Homepage of Halph-Price
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by desecration
<1> For a warping, techy bass, try using layers of filters. This can be done w/ the fl filter, though I would personally recommend the Antares filter.

I don't know where I read this but if you use the fruity parametric eq and turn the first, third, fifth and seventh slider to zero, then turn the remaining ones up a bit and automate them at different speeds you can get a similar sound.

This is only a very rough guide depending on the original sound you can turn the remaining sliders up as much as you want, automate them just to affect separate areas or sweep the whole lot, use different frequency and width settings etc. Just experiment with it to see if you get anything you like.

I hope this makes sense lol.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by gls: 05-05-2005 00:42.

04-05-2005 11:08
desecration
Tourist

Registration Date: 18-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

np
ppl feel free to add more ill also add more as soon as i can be bothered

__

08-05-2005 12:39 Homepage of desecration
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Use the trim button in the channel settings to trim off any empty bits at the beginning or end of your samples, apparently this helps to save cpu. That's what they said on the FL site anyway.

Set the envelope settings for the volume to 0 for the Del, Att, Hold, Dec and Rel but set the Sus one to the max. Now when you play a sample it'll stop playing when you take your finger off the keyboard or the note stops in the piano roll. I know this is obvious but you'd be surprised how many times I've seen this question asked on forums.

When using the Piano roll press Ctrl and the left mouse button to draw an envelope instead of changing between the envelope and paint or draw every time. And once you've highlighted what you want press the arrow button, above Ctrl, and the left mouse button to drag a new copy of what you highlighted anywhere you want.

Anyone got any more tips then?
13-05-2005 14:07
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

the mixer has more than 64 channels...its got like 99...but anyway...

on the comment about the parametric eq thing...thats a really good way to get some warpy bass...it does depend on your sounds you originially use...but if you right click and hit edit events, and make sharp increases and decreases you get some tight effects...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

13-05-2005 16:52
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Tips For Using Samples In Fl Studio