drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Music Programs
Go to the bottom of this page Music Programs
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

I was woundering if you could give me your opinions on different sequensering programs like cubase, pro tools, samplitude, nuendo, logic.
What points are there for and against the programs?
I've tried cubase, but I didn't like it so now I'm trying samplitude. What I've had time to see so far it looks good. The only problem is that it is quite complicated.
I've heard much about pro tools, and that it should be good. I know that many peaple who work in big studios use this program, and I think that the reason is that it works with different hardware configurations. If I decide to work with samplitude without trying som other programs or hear what other peaple have to say about them, maybe I end up using one program when another fits me better. I have a pc, is logic for mac users?
I've also downloaded Buzz, and it seems like it's an complicaded program. I've used fruityloops for a long time and I think I know nearly all funktions in the program. It's easy to use and very good I think. But the thing is that I've thought about having fruityloops and another program, and then use a program like samplitude or pro tools for mixing and recording. I render all tracks on fruityloops and buzz and mix them in for example samplitude. Is this a good idea? And if I learn buzz, does it have somthing that fruityloops not can do? Couse I don't like to have to different programs that make the same thing, I just want to get the things that fruityloops can't do.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
24-04-2005 14:17 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
@1$-)
unregistered
Logic is now mac only, u can still get hold of the older versions but you wont get any support....plus its not as accessible as cubase in my opinion.
try and get hold of cubase sx2, u can get sx 3 but theres still a lot of bugz that havent been ironed out yet. although steinbergs stuff does run smoothly on pcs i still recommend saving every five minutes!!!
sx 2 is really easy to get to grips with, you need to be patient though, your not going to learn how to use any of the higher end sequemcers as quickly as you did fruity loops. but its worth it as with some decent plug ins the results will be a lot more professional sounding, you'll find theres more seperation between your sounds for starters, and this is really important when you mixdown. its the real deal, i luv it!!!!

pro tools is good but is only really worth if your willing to invest in the hardware to go with it, do you own a bank??? Big Grin

havent used buzz, but i hear good things, and if samplitude is to much for u then find something easier!!! remember its meant to be fun not menatally taxing.

and what about ableton live???? get a demo!!!
24-04-2005 16:24
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I've tryed a demo of ableton live, and I don't know what to think. Maybe it's good. About Cubase SX, i don't like the eq:s in the mixer. I think that is very important since the eq is the effect you use most of all. I've lissened to other plugins than the eq, and in fact nearly all effects sounds bad an are not so flexible. It sounds like something for bad begginers who just play around. The eq in fruityloops are much better i think. The reason that I tryed samplitude was for its good eqs, and greatsounding reverb. The master fx like compression. I've read a lot and it seems to me like this program are great for mixing. I've heard that the midi-part sucks, but I can have my vst instruments and midi in fruityloops.

Does Fl have bad sound quality? I didn't know. What is it that is wrong? Is it the mixer? Becouse in that case I'd have to render my tracks before editing them or adding effects. I'd have to render them to wav, but not send them to the mixer in Fl.

__
24-04-2005 21:14 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

Have you tries Sonar (pc-only) from Cakewalk. If find it much more user friendly than Cubase. (just a personal opinion)
24-04-2005 23:28
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yea, with FL studio 5XXL out magazines seem to agree that the Paramatic EQ and the EQ for each INSERT are very good. there simple and easy to use to design how it should sound, i am happy with it.
pro tools, is the standard, because they we're the first big one, and they still have the pro. sound with lot's of big buck audio plugin's made for it. Cubase and Logic are right up tehre with them.

interview with the engineering school said that studio's now seem to be running music programs on mac, which is Logic or that, and running the Virtual instruments, on pc's, plugged into mac's.
we cannot afford this though. just wanted a chance to say that.

but it's usually a good idea to save tracks and mixdown in a good multi-track.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-04-2005 00:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

but it's usually a good idea to save tracks and mixdown in a good multi-track.

Can I still add effects in Fl, or should I do this after in samplitude?

__
25-04-2005 13:32 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Abnormalbrain
Can I still add effects in Fl, or should I do this after in samplitude?

Sure you can, just learn how to use the mixer. That's the place to add FX.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
25-04-2005 18:49 Homepage of djfreemc
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
About Cubase SX, i don't like the eq:s in the mixer. I think that is very important since the eq is the effect you use most of all. I've lissened to other plugins than the eq, and in fact nearly all effects sounds bad an are not so flexible. It sounds like something for bad begginers who just play around. The eq in fruityloops are much better i think. .

something for bad beginners ROFL
and your the one asking about sequencer programs.....hmmmm.
look believe me work with cubase and the quality of your sound will piss all over the stuff youve done in fruity loops. believe!!!.
the only problem with the eq in cubase is the fact its only four band and the q isnt very extreme, BUT THATS WHY YOU BUY VST PLUG IN FX!!!!!
like i said before, if your thinking about getting a high end sequencer then the step up from fruity loops or reason etc is a big one, be patient and investigate the full potential of the program.
aw man........bad beginners Doped

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 25-04-2005 22:56.

25-04-2005 22:55
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i have seen the plugings for cubase kicking around on the interent, havnt got to check them out, but if what you say is true would be a good investment.
i think i am gunna be going to cubase soon dudes.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 26-04-2005 03:46.

26-04-2005 03:45 Homepage of Halph-Price
BadBin BadBin is a female

images/avatars/avatar-420.jpg

Registration Date: 03-10-2004

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C

BUT THATS WHY YOU BUY VST PLUG IN FX!!!!!

Yeah dude, Sonalksis SV-517 Stereo EQ is very good
and besides all waves plugins are awesome,dude Wink
they have 2,3,4,..,10-bands paragraphic eq's Shocked
26-04-2005 10:29
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BadBin
quote:

BUT THATS WHY YOU BUY VST PLUG IN FX!!!!!

Yeah dude, Sonalksis SV-517 Stereo EQ is very good
and besides all waves plugins are awesome,dude Wink
they have 2,3,4,..,10-bands paragraphic eq's Shocked

Yeah! Sonalksis SV-517 is very good. I use to take the fl studio eq for more precise settings with for example 8 fl parametric eq and go through the whole spectra of frequensis. Then I add one Sonalksis and adjust bass, middle, and treble. With just one eq and no big adjustments the whole sound gets way much better. I'm telling you, this must be one of the greatest eq-plugin on the market right now.

__
26-04-2005 12:34 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
About Cubase SX, i don't like the eq:s in the mixer. I think that is very important since the eq is the effect you use most of all. I've lissened to other plugins than the eq, and in fact nearly all effects sounds bad an are not so flexible. It sounds like something for bad begginers who just play around. The eq in fruityloops are much better i think. .

something for bad beginners ROFL
and your the one asking about sequencer programs.....hmmmm.
look believe me work with cubase and the quality of your sound will piss all over the stuff youve done in fruity loops. believe!!!.
the only problem with the eq in cubase is the fact its only four band and the q isnt very extreme, BUT THATS WHY YOU BUY VST PLUG IN FX!!!!!
like i said before, if your thinking about getting a high end sequencer then the step up from fruity loops or reason etc is a big one, be patient and investigate the full potential of the program.
aw man........bad beginners Doped

I think I know what I'm doing. I started produce when I was 11-12 years old, and with Fl when I was 13. You can't expect more of somone at my age (17). I think in Sweden where I live I must be one of the best producer in the country for my age. It's not about wich program you use that says how good you are, it's how you use them.

__
26-04-2005 12:38 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Why not? As long as you do your mastering in a good studio Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

26-04-2005 17:58 Homepage of Surya
@1$-)
unregistered
yeh you might not be a bad producer for your age, (dont know havent heard anything yet!) but its a bit naive to say cubase is for bad begginners, theres enuff pro studios which use it or its big brother nuendo.
26-04-2005 20:41
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

some the best songs (techno) i know of are compsed on sega's or nintendos. come on who doesn't rock to shit like mario whenever they hear it now?

it's about emotional impact,art in general, the tools mearly help to achive that aim. the tunes from Streets of Rage 3 are AMAZING techno, withonly a little SoundChip that produced them. crazy stuff. if you ever get a chance check that out. when they made a cd of the games songs, it sold out fast.

there isn't even a reverb avalible to use.

FL i find best for dnb, cuz it loops easily, bad interfeace with the whole arrangment, and sequencers, but there's ways around, like copying the entire sequencer, hiting f4 and pasting them in a new window.

Albeton is great for recording live (duh) and AMAZING for vocals, with a really good and easy streching for vocals, to quantisise them natural sounding. some nice built in effects, no synths just samplers that blow.

Reason is good for making up anything, and then mixdown in a good multi-track. usually end up just using ReWire, so Reason is good to get regardless of what you use for this little power.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

26-04-2005 21:57 Homepage of Halph-Price
@1$-)
unregistered
yeh theres some good computer stuff around, but to be honest if where talking about conveying atmosphere, emotion etc etc then 8 bit doesnt really do it for me
26-04-2005 22:15
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

it's about emotional impact,art in general, the tools mearly help to achive that aim. the tunes from Streets of Rage 3 are AMAZING techno, withonly a little SoundChip that produced them. crazy stuff. if you ever get a chance check that out. when they made a cd of the games songs, it sold out fast.

The streets of rage tunes seriously rock dude. im planning to do a bangin tech trance remake of a couple of them Rinse
26-04-2005 22:20
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
yeh theres some good computer stuff around, but to be honest if where talking about conveying atmosphere, emotion etc etc then 8 bit doesnt really do it for me

mario song makes me happy, in a childish way, all of themPleased

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

26-04-2005 23:18 Homepage of Halph-Price
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
yeh you might not be a bad producer for your age, (dont know havent heard anything yet!) but its a bit naive to say cubase is for bad begginners, theres enuff pro studios which use it or its big brother nuendo.

I didn't mean that that the program it self was bad, but the effects that comes with it. For example those eqs sounds like nothing in compere with the sonalksis plugins for example.

__
27-04-2005 09:42 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
@1$-)
unregistered
the waves renaissance eq and paragraphic eq are alot better than sonalksis, so much more warmer and the q is a lot more sharper. vital for dropping out individual frequencies.
02-05-2005 18:05
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Music Programs