drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Wiring a Telephone Microphone
Go to the bottom of this page Wiring a Telephone Microphone
Author
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-176.jpg

Registration Date: 21-07-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
A telephone does bandbass. At least, it used to, I don't know if recent models do the bandpassing still.
The frequency of analogue telephones was, if I remember correctly, between 500hz and 3000khz (or 3500khz)

The mic itself doesn't have that bandwith, it's a bandpass filter after the mic that keeps the signal between certain limits, to modulate it easier.

So the mic itself won't give you the telephone sound... Wink
27-08-2005 18:15
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

To be a little more exact: a telephone cuts of everything above 6KHz, that's why they sound so crappy. The reason is to limit bandwith and technical problems, but not the modulation. A classic telephone signal is actually a plain audio signal with no modulation whatsoever.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
27-08-2005 22:44 Homepage of djfreemc
Formula Formula is a male
Steppa

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
To be a little more exact: a telephone cuts of everything above 6KHz, that's why they sound so crappy. The reason is to limit bandwith and technical problems, but not the modulation. A classic telephone signal is actually a plain audio signal with no modulation whatsoever.

If you make a phone call, your voice will be modulated on a carrier wave. If you want it or not, it's just the way it is.

A classic phone signal is a bandpassed demodulated signal

At least when the receiver from the call on the other side hears it through his speaker of the phone.

The modulation/demodulation gives a certain "effect" on the original signal, caused by the tolerance of the components used in the schematic.

and to limit technical problems... maybe a bit...

just because LF waves are much harder to transport, that's why the signal has to be modulated on a HF carrier wave.

Also because electronical components are expensive, it's much cheaper to use a smaller bandwith. The smaller the bandwith, the less components are needed.

It's just made like this (I mean no high tech dolby-surround with sub woofers etc..) because the essence is to understand eachother...

And this small bandwith is enough for human speech.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Formula: 28-08-2005 03:54.

28-08-2005 03:50
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

Well this discussion is getting quiet Offtopic , but anyway... Do you have any more info on what kind of modulation is used in telephone systems then? Because I don't know any. I took telecommunications as an option, and my teacher for telecom and datacom was an ex-belgacom engineer. And as far as I know there is no HF whatsoever on a classic telephone line. Before there was ADSL everywhere there where even filter coils in the telephone network keeping out everything above 6 KHz (and thereby reducing transmission line problems), so how would you modulate on HF then? Anyway, if you have more info on this, i'd be most interested to read it.

__
28-08-2005 11:01 Homepage of djfreemc
Steppa

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
Well this discussion is getting quiet Offtopic , but anyway... Do you have any more info on what kind of modulation is used in telephone systems then? Because I don't know any. I took telecommunications as an option, and my teacher for telecom and datacom was an ex-belgacom engineer. And as far as I know there is no HF whatsoever on a classic telephone line. Before there was ADSL everywhere there where even filter coils in the telephone network keeping out everything above 6 KHz (and thereby reducing transmission line problems), so how would you modulate on HF then? Anyway, if you have more info on this, i'd be most interested to read it.

Goddamned, you're right Doped

I was mixing up cell phones and classical phones Roll Eyes

'classic' telephone signals don't need to be modulated on a HF carrier, they go through copper wires, so their is no need to.

The audiosignal isn't modulated, but converted to a digital signal, and vice versa (ADC/DAC) This gives also a specific characteristic to the signal. (because the original signal can't be 100% restored after converting)

But from the moment you use a wireless phone or cell phone, it will be (FM) modulated on a HF carrier wave Wink Big Grin
28-08-2005 13:35
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Formula
'classic' telephone signals don't need to be modulated on a HF carrier, they go through copper wires, so their is no need to.

The audiosignal isn't modulated, but converted to a digital signal, and vice versa (ADC/DAC) This gives also a specific characteristic to the signal. (because the original signal can't be 100% restored after converting)

But from the moment you use a wireless phone or cell phone, it will be (FM) modulated on a HF carrier wave Wink Big Grin

Offcourse it has to be modulated for a wireless system, or we would get one big signal jam. But unfortunately you are again not completely correct. The classic telephone system was invented long before anyone had ever heard of digital signals, so it isn't digitized either. On an ISDN line and modern cellphones it is. Not in the good old telephone system, and not even on the first mobile systems that never really got popular. A DECT system is actually combining digital and analog in a "strange" way. You speak is first digitized in the handset, send to the base station digitally and then turned back to analog to send it over the good old analog telephone line.

__
28-08-2005 19:38 Homepage of djfreemc
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2084.jpg

Registration Date: 21-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Due bandwith saving princibles, even original land-line telephone call is nowdays digitized, if it requires to be sent from one phone switch central to another. So if you call to your closest neighbour (or someone else living in close), signal route MAY be pure analog (stays inside the analog switch central). If you call to another city, you can bet your hat the call is digital somewere along the way.
02-09-2005 21:25
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

You're right about that! The only thing that remains analog is the piece of wire from your home to the central you are connected to.

__
02-09-2005 22:31 Homepage of djfreemc
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

one moment please...

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

03-09-2005 20:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
Steppa

But, now that I think of it...

it has to be modulated, because multiple signals are being transferred through the same medium. If you don't modulate than, how will you know what's what?

i dunno, a question 4 the doc Wink
03-09-2005 21:48
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

They use a multiplexer for that in the analog domain, digitally it's ofcourse no problem to send multiple conversations through the same cable.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-09-2005 14:41 Homepage of thechronic
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

MICHROPHONE

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-09-2005 19:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Formula
quote:
Originally posted by Surya
A telephone does bandbass. At least, it used to, I don't know if recent models do the bandpassing still.
The frequency of analogue telephones was, if I remember correctly, between 500hz and 3000khz (or 3500khz)

The mic itself doesn't have that bandwith, it's a bandpass filter after the mic that keeps the signal between certain limits, to modulate it easier.

So the mic itself won't give you the telephone sound... Wink

it's is the microphone because it does only limited freq. it doens't have any moving diaphrams like condenser or ribbon or dynamic, it uses a solid material, and thus gives it incrediable duriblity. when i am at home i'll give you the siteing from the live sound book i got and explain better. but the type of material gives different sound, and it is why it sound slike shit. but this is desired since you only hear voices in a limited freq, and it helps elminate background noize.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

27-10-2005 19:29 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

Piezo-Electric microphones ( and contact pickups) *like guitar pickups* invole the sue of a substance which, when twisted or otherwise fegormed by a force -- such as the pressure provided by a passing sound wave, generates a vocaltage (called a piezoelectric voltage). Crystal and ceramic micophones both utilize this principle.

Traditionally they are strong utility mics of poor sound quality ( used in telephnoes, for example). ya da yada, there are high audio uqality ones around, fasten to wood, or other vibrating plates. common in acoustic guitars by manufacturers, good with most stringed instrumnets.

this is from LIVE SOUND REINFORCEMENT

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-11-2005 07:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Wiring a Telephone Microphone