drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Intoxication
Go to the bottom of this page Intoxication 4 Votes - Average Rating: 9.004 Votes - Average Rating: 9.004 Votes - Average Rating: 9.004 Votes - Average Rating: 9.00
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

so, i was reading the twilight of the idols by friedrich nietzsche.

in Espieditions of an Untimely Man, under Towards a psycology of the artist, he states

quote:

For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certian physiological precondition is indeispensable: intoxication. Intoxication must first have heightended the excitability of the entire machine: no art results before that happens. All kinds of intoxication, however different their origin, have the same power to do this: above all, the intoication of sexual excitement, the oldest and most primative form of intoxication. Likewise the intoxication which comes in the train of all great desies, all strong emotions; the intoxications of feasting, of contest, of the brave deed, of victory, of all extreme agitation; the intoxication of cruelty; intoxication in destruction; intoxication under certain meteorological influences, for example the intoxication of spring; or under the influence of narcotics; finally the intoxication of the will, the intoxication of an overloaded and distended will.
- The essence of intoxication is the feeling of plentiude and increased energy. From out of this feeling one gives to things, one compels them to take, one rapes them - one calls this procedure idealizing. Let us get rid of a prejudice here: idealization does not consist, as is commonly believed, in a subtraction or deducting of the petty and secondary. A tremendous expulsion of the principal features rather is the decisive thing, so that thereupon the others too disappear.

- Twilight of the idols, translated by: r.j.hollingdale, and published by: penguin classics.

so basicly he says get drunk on whatever gives yo energy, and that's how you get art, from the exess energy you gained, basicly.

i think it's right. just wanted to have the views of other artists.

-sorry for the spelling erros, it's a long passage.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 17-04-2005 07:16.

17-04-2005 07:15 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

my girlfriend is my muse...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

17-04-2005 07:19
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

sexual energy YAAAAOOOWW

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

17-04-2005 07:23 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certian physiological precondition is indeispensable: intoxication. Intoxication must first have heightended the excitability of the entire machine: no art results before that happens. All kinds of intoxication, however different their origin, have the same power to do this: above all, the intoication of sexual excitement, the oldest and most primative form of intoxication. Likewise the intoxication which comes in the train of all great desies, all strong emotions; the intoxications of feasting, of contest, of the brave deed, of victory, of all extreme agitation; the intoxication of cruelty; intoxication in destruction; intoxication under certain meteorological influences, for example the intoxication of spring; or under the influence of narcotics; finally the intoxication of the will, the intoxication of an overloaded and distended will.

I did this so it can be read

p.s. that maniac nietzche.. Big Grin

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 17-04-2005 12:34.

17-04-2005 12:32 Homepage of cynik
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

Mary Jane's got all i need to unlock that extra bit of energy Big Grin

Spliff

__

17-04-2005 16:39 Homepage of Emblem-X
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

I think he means by "Intoxication" that you obtain a different viewpoint from the one that you/society had before .

It is the obtaining/learning of a different viewpoint that is the sparkle of art .

Greetings Dirk .
18-04-2005 09:58
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

ya, i agree, that it allows you to elevate your self from yuo're normal mundane exsistance. some peopel find it in different places, but that's what art is about. just he also has something against art for the sake fo art. as in, art cannot be the intoxication for the inspiration fo art.

but what would monet or picaso be if not for there distinct view.

TIME TO GET DRUNK!

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

18-04-2005 11:33 Homepage of Halph-Price
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Bigup
quote:
Originally posted by dirk
I think he means by "Intoxication" that you obtain a different viewpoint from the one that you/society had before .

It is the obtaining/learning of a different viewpoint that is the sparkle of art .

Greetings Dirk .

wow, that's put in words very well Big Grin

If only more people would think like this instead of being trapped into their own perceptual reality with it's distinctive borders.. myea lol not gonna happen anyway hehehe

so light that joint, and broaden your minds Bigup Spliff Big Grin

but let's take this further, i think art has a intoxicating effect on it's public. It shows other points of view on things, and pushes people to think about things they never expected to think about. The same with music it put us in an alternative athmosphere/world, without everyday worries etc.. so music and art can be the intoxication itself too imo..

cheers emblem

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 18-04-2005 13:34.

18-04-2005 13:27 Homepage of Emblem-X
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

what a nice discussion! carry on

edit:
question for emblem-x and others: is it possible to make an "intoxicating" effect on the audience while not being intoxicated yourself when making music / performing, dj-in?

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 18-04-2005 14:14.

18-04-2005 14:11 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yeah, it sure is possible!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-04-2005 14:33 Homepage of Surya
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

why not Smile any music can take u on a journey Big Grin

__

18-04-2005 14:42 Homepage of Emblem-X
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

cool you think it can. it would be alittle scary otherwise.. I mean with that junked out lot of kids outthere, man in their age I didnt know what marijuana even means Mad

now Im walking the other day by an elementary school and a group of little kiddies standing around in a circle with the smoke puffing from the center - awfully resembling pot Shocked

and those were not even teenagers...

__
18-04-2005 15:32 Homepage of cynik
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
cool you think it can. it would be alittle scary otherwise.. I mean with that junked out lot of kids outthere, man in their age I didnt know what marijuana even means Mad

now Im walking the other day by an elementary school and a group of little kiddies standing around in a circle with the smoke puffing from the center - awfully resembling pot Shocked

and those were not even teenagers...

idd.. not a good evolution.. at that age i was still playing with lego blocks lol Big Grin

but that's an other discussion i guess..

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 18-04-2005 15:46.

18-04-2005 15:44 Homepage of Emblem-X
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah guess ure right sorry 4 going offtopic.. but I had to share this with ya

__
18-04-2005 16:03 Homepage of cynik
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

Sooooo, Miseur Nietzche says that all art is derived from some sort of intoxication? Interesting philosophy, never actually thought of it like that before. I suppose it's extremely accurate though, whether it be intoxicated from love, intoxicated from foreign chemicals, intoxicated from the smell of an apple pie......I suppose inspiration would be closely related to intoxication......I like that!!!

Maybe I'm not getting enough intoxication?!

Yes.....that's what it is.

Lack of intoxication.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
18-04-2005 17:17 Homepage of spudleyq
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

with the intoxicatiing effect on others, it seems you're taking the intoxicated feelings that you have and protray thoes. if they didn't get an intoxicated effect from it, than you failed to correctly portray it!

if you're stoned and paint a peach, if they don't get the feeling there lookinga t a peach stoned, than you need to work on it.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

18-04-2005 22:52 Homepage of Halph-Price
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
if you're stoned and paint a peach, if they don't get the feeling there lookinga t a peach stoned, than you need to work on it.

I don't agree here.. it's not becuz i make music when i'm stoned that everybody will notice directly that i was stoned while making it.

It could be the whole goal of a piece of work (a sober guy letting experience the same as a stoned guy) ofcourse and then you'll have to go for that maximun stoney effect indeed, or you don't succeed. But if that's not your goal; then u can succeed to make a god painting/tune/whatever without portraying your stoned feelings/perception.

difficult to explain in english lol Big Grin

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 19-04-2005 00:41.

19-04-2005 00:39 Homepage of Emblem-X
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

I don't agree here.. it's not becuz i make music when i'm stoned that everybody will notice directly that i was stoned while making it.

It could be the whole goal of a piece of work (a sober guy letting experience the same as a stoned guy) ofcourse and then you'll have to go for that maximun stoney effect indeed, or you don't succeed. But if that's not your goal; then u can succeed to make a god painting/tune/whatever without portraying your stoned feelings/perception.

difficult to explain in english lol Big Grin

I get ya Pleased and spudleyq was correct also. In addition - intoxication doesnt have to depend on substances, it could well be that your own work doing it to you while youre working on it Big Grin and the more you work on it, the more that intoxicated effect shows up - the quality of a succesful project can be measured by it ?

__
19-04-2005 08:34 Homepage of cynik
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by dirk

Greetings Dirk .

Yeah I agree. Most of the time when I work on a track, I have a completely diffirent viewpoint when I havent worked on it for a day or a few hours or so.

But I never really tried producing when I got drunk (probably too wasted to even walk though Big Grin ). That should also give you a diffirent viewpoint.
19-04-2005 16:04
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
and the more you work on it, the more that intoxicated effect shows up - the quality of a succesful project can be measured by it ?

idd, i agree when u're talking abut the artist himself.. but i guess quality is a very subjective term here, it's very personal.

So, I think the personal quality of a succesfull work is the satisfaction you get from it. Which adds to the intoxicating effect of the work u created. Ever felt the great soothing feeling of satisfation after u finished something? maybe that's the climax of the intoxicating effect?

If we're talking about the audience, it's more complex i think.. they will refer to quality in a different way that ther artist becuz they take different criteria into consideration, they don't share the same line of thoughts.
On the ther hand maybe that's not even needed, a good piece of artwork speaks for itself, it triggers feelings and impressions directly, without thinking. So quality might be a wrong term here, cuz it needs a thinking process before u can tell if something is quality; where art speaks direcly to your feelings instantly without thinking.

I remember myself visiting the picasso museum last year in barcelona, after 3 hours we left the building and man! we were like high lol Big Grin very weird effect, picasso overdose Big Grin

cool discussion Bigup Big Grin

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 19-04-2005 16:36.

19-04-2005 16:22 Homepage of Emblem-X
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Intoxication