drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Acoustics
Go to the bottom of this page Acoustics
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

When you hear a sound in a space you can immediately hear where it's comming from . Even when you are in a big hall and you mostly hear indirect sound . This means that reflexions have little influence on soundlocation . They do have a big influence on perceved soundquality though . The reflexions need to be as diffuse as possible and be uncolloured
In other words : If the reflexions you hear are heavily coloured/undiffuse it will sound crap .
Also if you are in a space with very little reflexions ( e.g. the dead rooms where they measure speakers ) you imediately feel very uncomfertable . This means that for things to sound nice you simply need good reflexions !

Practical controlroom solutions to this problem are to absorb the unwanted/coloured reflexions that most speakers/enviroment produce and listen mostly to the direct sound . This works fine but can create an unpleasant working enviroment if you absorb to much . Or use nearfield monitors but please don't put them on your mixing desk , instead place them on stands a bit behind the mixing desk .

An other solution ( better imho ) is to use a speakersystem/enviroment that produces uncoloured and diffuse reflexions . The problem with this is that I don't know any speakers that can do this . And I won't bore you to death with my perverted theoretical loudspeaker fantasy's .

So here are some practical tips :

Don't absorb unless absolutely nessesery , better use diffusors (( make your whole room a diffusor ??? ) ( You need a "perfect" speaker for this to work !!! ))

A 2-way speaker with an 8"woofer and crossover at 2kHz will have a serious dip in the of axis frequency responce . The cheaper 5"model will not have that problem . And in the end it may be less expencive to go for the 3-way model ( less acoustic correction )

Don't guess , measure .

To reduce the energy of soundwaves you need to : 1- Reduce the velocety of the air molecules in the soundwaves ( e.g. with accuostic damping foam for the mid and higher frequencies ) or 2-reduce the pressure of the air molecules in the soundwaves ( basstraps )
To diffuse sound you use diffusers ( basicaly anything with a huge irregular reflecting surface ). You can use strategicaly placed bookshelfs or any big furniture that reflects sound in the direction that you want . It does not need to be expencive .

For people who want to crunch numbers and more very useful info :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul98/ar...acoustics1.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/ar...alacoustic.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep98/ar...acoustic_3.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct98/ar.../acoustics.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov98/articles/acoustic5.htm

Greetings Dirk .
15-04-2005 06:32
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

images/avatars/avatar-2135.gif

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.25

thanks for the info Dirk.
Good stuff
.... i know the acoustic treatment of the room u produce in is often overlooked (This is also the case with my set-up Roll Eyes only thing i did is put monitors further away from the wall....huge difference ).
Been thinking about getting me some stands for them too...I feel i'm sitting to close to them.

if only those acoustic-foams weren't so bloody expensive..... Huh

__

info/tunes :: MySpace
15-04-2005 12:14
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Originally posted by ultradark
i use headphones - no problems with room acoustics Big Grin

yop but you can't hear phase problems or true basses

__

15-04-2005 15:11
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

ya, but niether can my parents Big Grin

when listening to loops patterns that drive you insane, it drives others TO KILL!

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 15-04-2005 17:20.

15-04-2005 17:19 Homepage of Halph-Price
@1$-)
unregistered
headphones arent really true stereo, and at the end of the your mix wont sound that great but it wont be far off, at least get some decent cans!!!!

to be honest if your using nearfield monitors you shouldnt have to much trouble with acoustics as long as your speakers are decent, the only issue you might have are standing waves.......but if your room is pefectly square just add some furniture to break it up
15-04-2005 18:26
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

no the acustic dampners, at the angles where sound reflects are suppose to help, and like some cd rack cases, basstraps would be cool, but you can put them into corners..... i like pumpink

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-04-2005 18:37 Homepage of Halph-Price
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
if only those acoustic-foams weren't so bloody expensive.....

You can use glasswool for that , just make sure that you can't breath in those nasty glass fibers

Greetings Dirk
16-04-2005 06:44
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Acoustics