drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dr Dre vs Kryptic minds/Pendulum
Go to the bottom of this page Dr Dre vs Kryptic minds/Pendulum 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-386.gif

Registration Date: 16-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

heheheh funny thread...
Why, in the first place, do you want to compare so called "hip-hop" to d&b... If you check some REAL hip-hop, not the big budget mainstream pop hiphop, you'll be surprised about the quality...
It's just a product that makes truckloads of $$$$ and you need a lot of money for the gear that those folks use... for instance, dre's SSL: 500.000€ (when he bought it), that's only the mixer... don't wanna go into the other shit that's in his studio...
Those budgets are totally unthinkable in d&b.
And now I'm only talking about money, not the production/musical aspect of the different styles, because all that has been explained by half-price and others...

Note: I have the greatest respect for dr dre/neptunes/timbaland/... They're all excellent producers Shocked but it's not real hiphop anymore (and yeah, I know that's where they all came from Smile )

but that's just my oppinion, right? Happy

__

22-04-2005 02:30 Homepage of echo virus
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

Equipment in the US is much cheaper because of our economy...Mastering techncis BY REALLY GOOD engingeers can get your mix to sound mint for a couple hundred bucks.. (USA MONEY) which is super cheap...Dr.Dre makes millions every year as do most commercial artist...His studio prolly cost a lil over 100g's

You guys are going way too high with studio prices...the guy above saying soemthing about 500,000 mixingf board? sorry but show me one single mixing board that cost 500,000$ i dont think so...maybe 15,000...and thats only if its an allen&heath...

Despite the fact dre is a rap producer/etc hes extremely experienced...the man has been doing it since NWA...listen to teh nwa albums they sound like shit compared to things that are digital now...there is no comparison between digital and analog recording...
With the same basic know-how most people can make an extremely good sound come out of their sequencers etc...also remember dre uses a lot of hardware...Im sure his studio contains many rolands etc...Also said before its not like KM&LS arent using effects and etc... a basic rap song may have drums, bass, a hi melody, some stabs and a hook..

Where Drumnbass has a whole erray of complexity... the drums maybe be 20+ samples, the bass may consist of 5-10 different samples, etc...

I think what b-comp said is right...with THAT many samples all going into one song its hard to balance everything...if oyu listen to kryptic minds and leon switch, they have a lot of crazy ass drums and bass going on...all of in which are also used byu hardware...but im sure they master everything in their own home studio...Dre owns a record label and makes millions because of publicity...he doesnt have to worry about spending money period anyway cause he owns the studio...

BUT if you listne to enough dnb, there are a lot of singles released that sound just as good if not better than hip-hop/ rnb/ rap...

Such as goldie...the man is 38 years old..hes been making his music for years...that leaves YEARS of experience to perfect his sound...

as much as money, and the actualy song space etc goes into it...its the person behind the music...

I honestly thing Dr dre is a much more experienced producer thatn kryptic minds and or leonswitch... Dre has bene making music now for 10 yrs plus and dnb has hardly even been around that long...ther eis a huge time gap...and km&LS havent exactly been around that long either...

Thats just my 2 cents

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Surora23: 22-04-2005 03:48.

22-04-2005 03:47
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yea, give dnb a bit longer to evolve, it's just started. think the hip hop in the 80's compared to dnb now.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

22-04-2005 04:57 Homepage of Halph-Price
Stutterstep
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 27-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

SSL 9000 J if you got one used 250 000- New at lest 500-000. There are lots of mixing boards over 15000. Most boards you find in pro studios will be a lot moe then 15000
22-04-2005 05:07
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

cost as much as a house, it better sound like cremed sugar silk.
if you make a million give 1/4 to charity.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 22-04-2005 06:18.

22-04-2005 06:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
echo virus echo virus is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-386.gif

Registration Date: 16-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23the guy above saying soemthing about 500,000 mixingf board? sorry but show me one single mixing board that cost 500,000$ i dont think so...maybe 15,000...and thats only if its an allen&heath...

eeerrrr, I don't think you are very familiar with the prices, for instance: I work as an audio engineer, we have 2 AMS Neve Libra's costing 30.000€ each (12.000.000fr!!) and that was a very sweet deal!
Dre has his SSL for how long, lets say 8 years, back in those days they were a lot more expensive!!

I'm not joking or something, I don't know where you get your prices from...

Gotta go work now, will drop some more prices later if you don't believe me

__

22-04-2005 11:44 Homepage of echo virus
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
what makes the MOST difference is actually tempo of tracks and "space" each instrument got on 90 bpm and on 170+ , it's easier to tweak simple hiphop tune which contain of few sounds mixed together where every sample has it's own space then mixing lots of sounds that often changes it's frequency [filters]

idd my hiphopbeats always sound cleaner than my drumnbass tunes..

__

22-04-2005 12:21 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by echo virus
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23the guy above saying soemthing about 500,000 mixingf board? sorry but show me one single mixing board that cost 500,000$ i dont think so...maybe 15,000...and thats only if its an allen&heath...

eeerrrr, I don't think you are very familiar with the prices, for instance: I work as an audio engineer, we have 2 AMS Neve Libra's costing 30.000€ each (12.000.000fr!!) and that was a very sweet deal!
Dre has his SSL for how long, lets say 8 years, back in those days they were a lot more expensive!!

I'm not joking or something, I don't know where you get your prices from...

Gotta go work now, will drop some more prices later if you don't believe me

Oh dont get me wrong im sure his equipment is quite pricey... But a decent studio doesnt need like 10 mixing boards... IM sure his is much mroe expensive that 15g's but i was jsut throwing out some numbers to make a small point...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

22-04-2005 23:58
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dr Dre vs Kryptic minds/Pendulum